Old Timers Memory

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you remember when if a family member was having mental health, alcohol, or drug issues the family would immediately go to a judge and the judge would order them into treatment BEFORE they deteriorated to the point of:
1. Going out and shooting others.
2. Losing their jobs and putting themselves and their families into a life of hell and public assistance.
3. Kill someone or ruin someones life while getting that dui.
4. Being so F'd up they commit crimes and end up in our criminal system or prison costing us tens if not hundreds of thousands.
5. And the list goes on!

I realize I'm old, but I do remember when the law and judges sided on the side that the rights and well being of you and your family superseded your right to destroy yourself and everyone around you. One thing about being older is you got to see the successes when you were younger of families intervening in their loved one's lives at the earliest stages of their problems and saving themselves and their loved ones. I work in this system today and have had people dear to me fall into those areas. Today, according the law and judges, people have the right to totally ruin their life and the lives of all those around them not to mention the innocent people that they may kill when drunk or whatever. Until they actually commit those crimes you can't do a damn thing about it. If we really want to address addiction and/or mental illness in the most effective and efficient way we need to head it off at the earliest possible moment. Not after the person has deteriorated to the point of the treatment being a prison or jail sentence. All that does is create unemployable people with criminal records. When a wheel on something starts squeaking you can oil it right away and fix the problem in a very cost effective manner, or you can let it go til it falls off. Mental illness and addiction are no different.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
"To beat sixty". My dad and his brothers (all in there late 60's and 70's) use that phrase. Like, "It's raining to beat sixty". I still do not know the meaning of it. I wished I did because I catch myself saying it all the time even while not knowing the meaning of the phrase.

I THINK I can answer this one. Back in the "olden days" of the 40s and 50s, 60MPH was really fast. I recall an episode of the Andy Griffith Show (Mayberry) where Barney was talking about some early NASA rocket, and one of the old guys at the barber shop said "I bet that thing'll beat sixty". In my mind, 60MPH was a benchmark. So anything fast, or loud, or crazy (think downpour) was "beating sixty".

I could be wrong of course, but that's what it means in my little mind.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I THINK I can answer this one. Back in the "olden days" of the 40s and 50s, 60MPH was really fast. I recall an episode of the Andy Griffith Show (Mayberry) where Barney was talking about some early NASA rocket, and one of the old guys at the barber shop said "I bet that thing'll beat sixty". In my mind, 60MPH was a benchmark. So anything fast, or loud, or crazy (think downpour) was "beating sixty".

I could be wrong of course, but that's what it means in my little mind.

Another one is "to beat the band".

As in "He was on that sled going to beat the band before he crashed"

Or "looks like old Chuck is drinking to beat the band."

Basically means to "out do" everybody.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
"hotter than two pigs fucking in a wool sock" - excessively warm

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
kid you are like a dime holding up a dollar.
making money hand over fist.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dollars to doughnuts?
til the cows come home.
hotter'n a two dollar pistol
dumber'n a bag a hammers
nervous as a whore in church

I'll stick a cheeto down your throat, and a hungry dog up your ass.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Cotton pickin thing or the dirty bugger if it was something that didn't cooperate . I had an uncle that was a well seasoned Marine, When he got real mad he would say Son of a biscuit .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember a coupla older farm boys arguing who been laid the most. One says to the other that "I have plowed more than you will ever drag" Pretty much says it all.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The whole kit and kaboodle.

Apologize if this has already been mentioned but at my age I can't remember what was at the beginning by the time I get to the end.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
And now adays everything has to include 'F' bombs! Most of the truly old sayings posted here do NOT have an 'F' bomb.

So what does that tell us?????

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
"To beat sixty". My dad and his brothers (all in there late 60's and 70's) use that phrase. Like, "It's raining to beat sixty". I still do not know the meaning of it. I wished I did because I catch myself saying it all the time even while not knowing the meaning of the phrase.
Ya my dad seen someone driving fast and he would say they were going "lickety split". I have no idea how that phrase came about, but it may be confusing in today's gay community.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took my $200 dollar Melroe drag over to the neighbors to help level some ground. A young whippersnapper was making fun how I need a real drag with down pressure and the works. About $50 thousand bucks.

I told him he'll learn about life real fast, "you have to fuck with the dick you got."

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is another one that always confused me. One morning dad asked what were you doing on the south 80 this morning? I seen you on your horse, belly to the ground and riding east "hell bent for leather". Where does that come from?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is another one that always confused me. One morning dad asked what were you doing on the south 80 this morning? I seen you on your horse, belly to the ground and riding east "hell bent for leather". Where does that come from?

I've always heard "Hell bent for election".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31