Oregon conservation

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Areas of national forest closed to motorized vehicles for 3 months during the toughest time of year for wildlife seems like a good and reasonable measure for wildlife and sportsmen.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something I found interesting is that the sanctuaries don't have to deal with cwd.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
In ND, we call those lands closed to motor vehicles Wildlife Management Areas, Little Missouri National Grasslands, and Sheyenne National Grasslands. To name a few. Efforts to keep people from harassing wildlife with vehicles is not just an Oregon thing.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those places are closed to the public during those months where deer or elk can't be harassed by the public. North Dakota doesn't restrict access to these areas where animals are to migrate during the winter months, to me it seems to be a no brainer for protection of animals from the unwanted stress of vehicles being used during these times.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to your article, the closures are to motorized vehicles, which I understand it would allow foot traffic.

WMAs and large chunks of the National Grasslands are closed to motorized vehicles all year long with the exception of maintained county, state, and federal roads.

I am guessing that these closures in Oregon were primarily intended to keep out recreational vehicles (snowmobile and ATV/UTV). While we see deer herding up, often on private land, we don't see lengthy mass migrations of animals to specific areas. Well, the pronghorns will sometimes go south for the winter, but that's about it for us.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We deal disease here in North Dakota,.as our enemy to wildlife management issues. I didn't read cwd was as an issue in the article and wasn't aware that snowmobile activity wasn't an issue in north dakota wild life management areas.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84