Outdoor pizza ovens

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That looks really good!

I can definitely tell the difference in flavor on my grill.

Some people swear they can even tell the difference between coal fired ovens and wood fired ovens.

I guess I've never compared, or even had the chance.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks really good!

I can definitely tell the difference in flavor on my grill.

Some people swear they can even tell the difference between coal fired ovens and wood fired ovens.

I guess I've never compared, or even had the chance.

Everybody has a different tolerance and taste to "smoke". I like heavily smoked meat. My mom and wife don't, so they could probably pick up the subtle flavor more than I. I also know that pellet ovens can vary a lot from one to the other, on the amount of smoke they put out.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
@Whisky ... what crust are you using?

Now you're going to make me sound like a F'n geek....

Those style of pizzas were an attempt at "South Shore Bar Pizza".

The formula I used, bakers percentages:
100% flour
56% H2O
8% oil
1.5% salt
.5% IDY

For a 12" pizza, 265g dough ball, that translates to:
160g flour (I used King Arthur AP)
90g water
.8g IDY
2.4g salt
12.77g oil (used canola)

Mix, ball, and into the fridge for ~ 24 hrs... 3-4hrs before cooking, take out of fridge and set on the counter.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats some advanced pizza making. We just use the dough my wife makes in the bread machine and its pretty good

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thats some advanced pizza making. We just use the dough my wife makes in the bread machine and its pretty good
I agree.

I buy it at bread Smith's here in town. It's way better than anything I can make.

I fricken hate dough....

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
sheesh. i am going to try forget i asked that question lest i have to start engaging in such rocket surgery myself.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
sheesh. i am going to try forget i asked that question lest i have to start engaging in such rocket surgery myself.

Lol...I knew answering that question was going to make me sound like an idiot. I'm kind of a pizza nerd.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol...I knew answering that question was going to make me sound like an idiot. I'm kind of a pizza nerd.
Hell Pizza is the food of the gods, I eat way too much and have played with dough recipe too. very good job I can control smoke on my pellet grill nothing better.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would never take advise from somebody that cooks a pizza on a pellet grill. As a matter of fact, I don't take any advise from anybody that even owns a pellet grill.
Why? I can select my wood flavor. Better then fake propane grill which is just outdoor over or stinky charcol had to start with lighter fluid in old days and or lump coal for green eggs yuke . Not much better to me.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy hell...off to the Cennex...not fancy but like the Hunt Bros all right.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why? I can select my wood flavor. Better then fake propane grill which is just outdoor over or stinky charcol had to start with lighter fluid in old days and or lump coal for green eggs yuke . Not much better to me.

How many good BBQ joints use a pellet grill? There are a ton of options out there that are not a Ronco set it and forget it easy bake oven for men.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are not your traeger or oven pizzas ------ these things cook fast and they are to die for. 900 degrees. 60-90second pizzas. Homemade and yummy with a slight smoke flavor flave.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have wanted to make my own out of rock or brick for years. And though some day I still would like one for pizza or baking bread I have come to the conclusion that if you already have a pellet grill you can buy a good pizza stone and make almost as good a pizza as you could with the outdoor oven. Probably cant reach the high temps you might want with the pellet grill but also don't have to spend 2 hours getting a hot enough fire going in a outdoor oven either.
as far as getting the fire hot --- the ooni i used was faster to get hot than a traeger by a mile.

Pizza taste is awesome. Whatever that heat does it seals in the taste somehow that makes it outstanding.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many good BBQ joints use a pellet grill? There are a ton of options out there that are not a Ronco set it and forget it easy bake oven for men.
what does an off set smoker do that a pellet grill does not? Its heat and smoke its not rocket science. I used to be hard core smoker guy till i figured out the juice isnt worth the squeeze. If i was cooking in bulk than a big ass smoker that you have for a business would make sense

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
None if I good burn big chunks of wood in my grill I would pellets same stuff right

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as getting the fire hot --- the ooni i used was faster to get hot than a traeger by a mile.

Pizza taste is awesome. Whatever that heat does it seals in the taste somehow that makes it outstanding.
Not as easy I just use the app on my phone hit temp you want push start done in like couple minutes we are hot as momma

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84