Pheasant Opener

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be around the hometown this weekend. The boat is coming with. Hope to drop my 3 birds and fill the live well with some walleyes in the evening. LOVE this time of year.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be around the hometown this weekend. The boat is coming with. Hope to drop my 3 birds and fill the live well with some walleyes in the evening. LOVE this time of year.

Agreed. Wish October was two months long.
Weekends are pretty much full till the new year now.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any of my dogs are bleeding, or stinky, or whatever, I guess I would have them ride in the kennel in the box of the pickup. Sorry about your dogs ear, but why have him inside the pickup?

I rarely have mine inside, unless it is mega cold out, and even then I put him in his kennel, hate him jumping around and breathing in my ear.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any of my dogs are bleeding, or stinky, or whatever, I guess I would have them ride in the kennel in the box of the pickup. Sorry about your dogs ear, but why have him inside the pickup?

I rarely have mine inside, unless it is mega cold out, and even then I put him in his kennel, hate him jumping around and breathing in my ear.

I have a topper on my pickup and thats where my pup normally goes.. The reason we had him in the pickup for that was to have my buddy hold his head still. It was bleeding something fierce. It would slow down and even stop until he would shack his head...

Would probably do something different now, but it seemed like the best idea at the time.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be warm this weekend, please keep an eye out for your dog and symptoms of heat exhaustion.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last year, I was ill prepared for a dog aid kit. Don't think it would have changed the visit to the vet though. From what I could gather, the pheasant kicked over on its back and kicked at my Vizsla. Ended up splitting his ear. We couldn't figure out a way to keep him from shaking his head. My buddy ended up holding him in the passenger seat with his arms around his head. He loosened his grip as the pup relaxed. Big mistake. He shook to beat hell. Ended up looking like I smoked a guy in the head with the blood splatter in my pickup.

Anyway. What do you guys usually throw in for a first aid kit?

- - - Updated - - -

540945_4982082183964_641922338_n.jpg

Where exactly is that dogs nose at?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be warm this weekend, please keep an eye out for your dog and symptoms of heat exhaustion.

Very good point LOV2HNT. I recall not too many years ago, SD had a very very warm pheasant opener. Numerous dogs died is what I recall.
My group of me and one other and my pup plan to shut it down before noon. (Although the hope is to be done long before then!!!) 8 month old pup is only hunting half the day regardless. Then it is on to busch lite in a yeti coozie!Same with Sunday.

Brooks

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
What's wrong with having ur hunting dog inside the pickup?

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where exactly is that dogs nose at?

I lopped it off, don't think he needs it to find pheasants. :)

He was quite sensitive to touch at that point, so he hated me looking at it for infections and such. had to hold his head off to the side.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's wrong with having ur hunting dog inside the pickup?

Well nothing if that's what you want, my point was if your dog is bleeding and shaking blood every which way, maybe the box of the pickup would be a wiser choice.
I, personally, do not like my dog roaming around in the back seat, getting my windows all nosed up, breathing in my ear, and leaving his hair and stink in the seats. He is my buddy, and I want him to be comfortable, but I also realize he is a dog, and my children and others don't like to be sitting in his filth after a weekend of hunting.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well nothing if that's what you want, my point was if your dog is bleeding and shaking blood every which way, maybe the box of the pickup would be a wiser choice.
I, personally, do not like my dog roaming around in the back seat, getting my windows all nosed up, breathing in my ear, and leaving his hair and stink in the seats. He is my buddy, and I want him to be comfortable, but I also realize he is a dog, and my children and others don't like to be sitting in his filth after a weekend of hunting.

LOL got a kick out of this. My wife was gone for the weekend. I like my dog to be free roaming at night so he isn't kenneled all the time. So this weekend, I had him sleep in my room.... SHE WAS PISSED ;:;rofl best sleep I have had in months!

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
new pup this year been working her since last year at this time. I can say one thing after having males for the first two wish I would of tried a female earlier. Have her out once to twice a week fun to watch her progress. looking forward to this weekend.
You still heading this way?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lopped it off, don't think he needs it to find pheasants. :)

He was quite sensitive to touch at that point, so he hated me looking at it for infections and such. had to hold his head off to the side.

No I was meaning more along the lines of it almost looks like the peanut butter trick! :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88