Pheasant Opener

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am chomping at the bit for rooster season as well! I have been slowly but surely working my 6 month old female springer. I have a 10 yr old male springer as well so I make a point to keep him out of the picture when I work with her as she doesn't concentrate if he is around. She is pretty darn good at sit, come, and retrieves tennis balls very well. Just started moving to dummy with wings strapped on. I am sure she will be a handful this first season... but ya can't get to season #2 without enduring a season #1!

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should really give the doves a good effort, ended up shooting a total of 3 last year. Heard that dogs don't care to mouth them since they have a heavy under coat and their feathers stick to the dog's mouth.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to have a new pup for next year. Going to be nice having one more year with just a veteran dog.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hercules and I will be after them goofy parrots this year with fair to midlin regularity. I'm looking foreword to sharing my lunch with him in the field somewhere. We BOTH have lots to learn.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dove hunting is the most refined of the birding sports.

I am taking applications for 2016 gun tender (one who holds umbrella if sunny, reloads my weapons and keeps my beverage full).

Sorry but 2015 is already booked solid. See you in a couple weeks Slim and wags!

TallyHo!:;:smokin

Bloody good shot sir, I do say you really know your onions. Can I refresh your tea?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bloody good shot sir, I do say you really know your onions. Can I refresh your tea?

I will bet you 3 crumpets that you cannot shoot a triple ol' chap! Might as well toke on some fags while we wait for the next flock of handsome quarry.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I presume Guy will be afield with a proper sidelock 16ga ?...

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
6 days, have a plan to head out west. Maybe will end up in in JohnR's neighborhood :;:stirthepot

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeap, pretty sure i'm all kinds of excited for roosters. i get off work at 6 am on saturday morning. i will be coming home from work and loading the pup up to head out. haven't decided where i'm going yet tho.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunted ducks in a pond out in the middle of a grassy area. No cattails just grass but every time one of us would wander out into the grass looking for a downed duck we would start busting pheasant after pheasant. Not sure why they were hanging out so close with us blasting away but apparently it didn't bother them to much. Hope the ducks come back to that spot for it would make for a fun one two punch for opening morning.

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out hunting dove this week and kicked up at least 10 roosters...scared the shit out of me every time, but all I kept thinking was you little bastards are lucky it wasn't Oct 10th yet.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last year, I was ill prepared for a dog aid kit. Don't think it would have changed the visit to the vet though. From what I could gather, the pheasant kicked over on its back and kicked at my Vizsla. Ended up splitting his ear. We couldn't figure out a way to keep him from shaking his head. My buddy ended up holding him in the passenger seat with his arms around his head. He loosened his grip as the pup relaxed. Big mistake. He shook to beat hell. Ended up looking like I smoked a guy in the head with the blood splatter in my pickup.

Anyway. What do you guys usually throw in for a first aid kit?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20141013_232224_373.jpg

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
blood clotter (got mine at cabalas) for ear cuts, I have see ear cuts before the guy had dog in the back of truck and the whole side was covered and kept shaking it head. hydrogen peroxide, dawn soap and baking soda for skunks, dog boots, some of that first aid wrapping that sticks to itself but not hair. a plastic bag. needle and thread, scissor, leash

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not that excited. Most of the birds I shoot I have to hand Enslow my beer and tell him to hold it while I get the pipe out the window.

you got a long pipe!!;:;popcorn

- - - Updated - - -

Denise and i are heading west for 3 days of roosters n coyotes soon.
hope you greedy bastards will save a few for us B/P'ers:;:stirthepot

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, none left for any B/P'ers. Try Wisconsin. :;:stirthepot

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
naw. was gonna try the Pemina area. heard there are lots of rooties round there?:;:thumbsup

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blood clot for small cuts, bandages, Benadryl ( yes you can give that to dogs), extra leash, muzzle (in case you have a an injury and dog wants to bite you when you tend to injury), scissors, tunicate, baby thermometer, iodine or wound cleaning agent, and know how to give CPR to dog.

tsioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plan on taking the pup out this weekend. These suggestions are great for things you wouldn't normally think to pack. Anybody have any more suggestions for supplies they would never leave the house without? My suggestion is a multiple strand cable cutter and a general knowledge of how to operate snares should your dog find himself on the working end of one. Well be carried in the hunting vest all year.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
new pup this year been working her since last year at this time. I can say one thing after having males for the first two wish I would of tried a female earlier. Have her out once to twice a week fun to watch her progress. looking forward to this weekend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88