Pheasant opener.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
lotta beans and corn up around here, didn't see as many as we figured but guessing this week once they can start combining again things will change... hopefully

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing to see here....I opted out opener, got shit to do..but oh I did limit out on sunday around noonish.. Birds are there gotta find them.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Tough where we were, lots of good cover , water and food, saw very very few beds , picked up some birds but not great

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Heard some roosters while bow hunting. Can't say I've seen the increase in birds the ndgf is claiming

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I expected better but a lot of crops and they can be anywhere with the nice weather. there their will be better in a couple weeks.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big standing corn field across from the CRP we hunt. If you aren't there at sunup the birds were already in the corn. Could watch 100+ fly into there every morning and they would come back in the evening. We didn't get after them too hard. After the corn is harvested it should help.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son and I went out for his first bird hunt on Sunday. I shot my three but he rode the struggle bus and went home with one. He learned a lot and it was a good day in the field. Did not see the numbers I had expected.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tons of birds here. But there is essentially no land to hunt here anymore. Even the private land I get to hunt had people stacked up waiting for their turn to go in 🤣. And the poor WPA, holy crap. Gonna be fist fights to get in there in the very near future. It’s become pay to play here now too. I doubt I’ll ever hunt another opener. Total shit show. I’ll wait till deer season starts when nobody is hunting ditch chickens anymore.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the public I would consider can get filled up fast, had things that needed to be tended to, lots of crops around still as well. From talking to a buddy he said him and the wife walked a whole section that is normally full of birds and 1 hen and 1 rooster, but they don't have a dog and neighbor and I were talking a few weeks back that we saw lots of birds all winter right up to the very end but pretty scarce all summer. All I guy can do is take the dogs out and see what happens I guess

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
stayed within 75 minutes of home. which isn't prime pheasant hunting territory by any means. however, i can usually scratch out a 1-2 man limit in half a day. the typical stomping grounds for me were available to hunt. however, as was pointed out earlier, very few crops are off up here. i am also slightly limited by my 13.5 year old dog. so, we saw very few pheasants. shifted gears and territory about 1:30 and chased grouse. that was a much better outcome.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Tons of birds here. But there is essentially no land to hunt here anymore. Even the private land I get to hunt had people stacked up waiting for their turn to go in 🤣. And the poor WPA, holy crap. Gonna be fist fights to get in there in the very near future. It’s become pay to play here now too. I doubt I’ll ever hunt another opener. Total shit show. I’ll wait till deer season starts when nobody is hunting ditch chickens anymore.
the exact reason why i dont go openeing weekend and prefer to hunt midweek. always a $hit show.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loads in my back yard that I feed year-round, they are down in area's just fun to get out while person can. Yes, Plots gets hit hard people just need to call or stop and ask they don't bite if not say thanks and walk away.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walked around central mcclean county for about 8 hours and ended with a 4 man limit plus 4 bonus partridge. At almost 8 years old, Wrigley is finally in her prime as I still had a full battery on the shock collar. She even helped me bag my 3rd rooster without firing a round.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84