Pheasant Opener

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
No birds in western ND.
NO BIRDS I says

liar liar. but a lot of corn to mess with

saw some young ones with barely a little red in the face last week while out spraying CRP (canadian thistle). Saw some beautiful adults too. bang bang!!

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
alot of windshield time has me thinking the gnf surveys may be off. very good to excellent numbere every direction from bismarck... alot of very young harldy colored birds as well, as late as last week.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
rr120-07-15 012.jpgsomebody said the "bird"word around my house today, after that the Jess wouldn't leave me alone. Happy hunting everyone have a great fall.:;:thumbsup

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We saw a couple broods of phez barely bigger than quail last Friday while hunting a field for waterfowl.

I think the GNF had their counts right...they just missed all the late hatches.

Definitely looking forward to November/December hunting.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Game Farm.jpgWe will be hunting the SE part of the state. Will do a few walks for roosters then jump sloughs until the bison game and beers start. I've been seeing some guys already pulling corn off while duck hunting.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not heading out for opener.. too many crazies in a frenzy. I love the hunt, but I'm not wanting to deal with the drama that comes with it... especially on opener.
I'll wait till the 15th or so before heading out.... give the farmers more time to cut crops down, for the temps to cool a bit more...
I have a "gimp" whitetail doe tag in 4F... so I'll probably be with my shotgun more this year than others...
In Bismarck with no dog... my brothers got a mutt, but it's more of a family pet than a hunter. How does the sw p[art of the state fare with numbers? I wouldn't mind scoring a few Grouse and Ringnecks at the same time...

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^ Exactly.

It's why I love hunting phez November on. Most of the guys who are super gung ho around opener have already fizzled out.

There's a lot of weekend days I never hear another shot fired.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It'll be cool temps so I think Royce will go walk some marginal crap nobody thinks about and stay away from the crowds. I too am not into the circus atmosphere. I think it's called curmudgeonliness?

Warvin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It'll be cool temps so I think Royce will go walk some marginal crap nobody thinks about and stay away from the crowds. I too am not into the circus atmosphere. I think it's called curmudgeonliness?

Yes it is....

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

If the poodle really does have an ailment and he needs rest, but you're not ready to hang up your shotgun, drop me a line. My two dogs are always ready to point and retrieve a limit beyond my own.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of corn, and flowers still up, bird numbers are down, and almost everything is posted in SW ND.
SD is the place to go.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep one guy shoots an Angelo Bee Exhibition coin finish. pretty little bugger.

HOLY HELL. Can you post a pic or describe the scene? If interested I may be able to provide the number designation. Holy hell that's cool and a testament of workmanship as this little sweetheart was discontinued in 1963. It makes me happy this guy is actually shooting it as that easily could be a "safe queen".

- - - Updated - - -

Holy hell if I could go back in time with five grand...That gun probably cost 300 bucks brand new...

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing and hunting the next four days for me. I've spent many hours in the field already running my two dogs. It takes extra work to get a 4 month and 10.5 year old dog into shape. The older dog is in great condition for any age dog. She was born to run.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
We saw a couple broods of phez barely bigger than quail last Friday while hunting a field for waterfowl.

I think the GNF had their counts right...they just missed all the late hatches.

Definitely looking forward to November/December hunting.
guess i should have clarified, what u said is what i meant. didnt mean the fine folks at the gnf f-ed up. meant there counts were off becuz of alot of tennis ball sized fuzzys not accounted for

onpoint!

Established Member
My son has been my fishing and hunting buddy for more than 15 years; we've enjoyed many openers together. So this year he decides to get married, and what day do they pick?? Yep. This weekend. 51 other weekends to choose. Yes, I told him he needed to change it or forever be pissed every October, but he wasn't able to change the date (or chickened out of trying). So my two Gundosgs are spending the weekend in a kennel :( Upside is that I enjoy late season hunting much more anyways, and I might've gone fishing instead. But at least I would've had that choice. Oh well. She's a great gal (but I won't let her live it down - ever). Happy hunting!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck everyone. I go back to work Saturday morning and won't really have a day off until the 27th. I do get 1 day in the middle of this hitch, but that day will be designated for homework.... oh well, I didn't draw a deer tag so I guess I'll do some rooster chasing then!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84