RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
pheasant opener.jpg

day 2 yielded some more birds... got our 3 man limit by 11

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
SMH----man, I gotta figure out shooting, should have had my limit in an hour today...something aint working for me. When a 13 yr comes along with a 20ga youth shotgun and gets all the birds which was two. Glad he got em, but dang. ;:;banghead

The hens were sitting tighter than the roosters, but if you played the wind right today a few got up in decent range.

Last edited:

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0609.jpg
Took the little man out for the first time Saturday and had our limit by about 10am. The dogs worked well and saw quite a few birds. Pretty sure I have a new full time pheasant hunting partner now becasue he was pretty pumped up about it.Thumbs Up

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted down by Elgin both days this weekend. We did get 7 man limit's by early afternoon both days but the numbers are down compared to the last 4-5 years. We didn't see many young birds at all, I would say only 1/4 of the birds we shot were young. All the birds were in the sunflowers.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bfishn---you realize thats 42 birds!!!!! yah, numbers are down because you shot them all......lol......kudos to you and the gang

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy hunted Saturday in SE ND and said it was horrible. He wound up driving west of Jamestown to find birds.

I chased ducks instead, although the farmers were just starting to combine corn by Sunday afternoon. A couple more weeks and I might give it a try.

But I'm not ready to hang up my duck decoys yet...

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a fun opening weekend - Puppy did great, no one got hurt or sprayed by a skunk, and even shot some birds. Couldn't ask for much more!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bfishn---you realize thats 42 birds!!!!! yah, numbers are down because you shot them all......lol......kudos to you and the gang

Haha, i guess 42 birds does sound like a lot but for this land it really isn't. Typically in the first three weekends we shoot 100-150 birds of this land. After that it doesn't get hunted much. I usually make it down late season for a day after the crops are off and there are even more birds than opening day usually. After hunting this land most my life I've come to the conclusion that hunting has basically no effect on population. It all comes down to winter/spring weather and habitat/food/water.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a decent weekend. 3 of us took 11 birds. Got an inch of snow on Friday night which made the birds sit tight. Chayce did his job. He locked on my birds between 2-5 ft and they would not pop. At least 3 of them I had to get my boot under and kick them in the air. We saw many many birds, but most popped 50 or more yards away and lots of runners.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, i guess 42 birds does sound like a lot but for this land it really isn't. Typically in the first three weekends we shoot 100-150 birds of this land. After that it doesn't get hunted much. I usually make it down late season for a day after the crops are off and there are even more birds than opening day usually. After hunting this land most my life I've come to the conclusion that hunting has basically no effect on population. It all comes down to winter/spring weather and habitat/food/water.

Yep, shoot all the roosters you want. In fact, during a though winter, more hens will make it if they don't have to compete with a bunch of bigger, stronger roosters. Shooting roosters only helps the population.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
busy on Saturday and went out for a couple hours Sunday afternoon.

first birds I think were young roosters but wasn't sure so the flew away, dog (10 or 11 year old Lab I got from a pound in Kansas in 2007) had to step on them to get them up,

driving to a different spot heard a rustling noise in the ditch and stopped and walked back hoping it wasn't a badger or a skunk. It was 2 roosters one of which cooperated and fell out of the sky. Dog didn't even get out for that one as it landed where I could see it,

was walking a grassy area near a wheat field at next spot and most of the birds were flying up 50+ yards away then the dog stepped on a rooster that cooperated as well. I thought I knew where it fell but I walked by it and the dog found it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84