Pheasant Opener

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son has been my fishing and hunting buddy for more than 15 years; we've enjoyed many openers together. So this year he decides to get married, and what day do they pick?? Yep. This weekend. 51 other weekends to choose. Yes, I told him he needed to change it or forever be pissed every October, but he wasn't able to change the date (or chickened out of trying). So my two Gundosgs are spending the weekend in a kennel :( Upside is that I enjoy late season hunting much more anyways, and I might've gone fishing instead. But at least I would've had that choice. Oh well. She's a great gal (but I won't let her live it down - ever). Happy hunting!

I too will be @ a wedding this weekend. That said, I'm not in it nor do I have any commitments to the wedding other than showing up so I suspect doggie and I can muster some birds prior to necessary wedding clean-up. Weather/wind and Sat bird availability dependent I make take kiddo 1 out with me on Sunday.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Less than 24 hours to go, Looks like a beautiful opening day! Ill be stomping around SW ND for 8 out of the next 16 days. The next three months are about my favorite in ND. Oct/Pheasant, Nov/Deer, Dec/Ice Fishing.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
20161008_095007.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got a limit last week too, rez opens a week early but didnt wanna make anyone freak out.

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No pics, but a couple of us were able to find 4 birds in about two hours. Must be the weekend for weddings, as we are headed to Carrington for nephews wedding.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah they did. I double checked my license last Friday to make sure of the dates and seen the limit had been reduced. Didn't go out after school last week, but should have.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took my 2 boy out 5 and 8. After duck hunting this morning. Didn't shoot any birds but the kids had fun. The new pup did her job and got some birds up so I was happy. Nothing better than watching the dogs work even if a guy don't get anything.
IMG_0321.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took Hercules out for a couple hours and put up 2 roosters and about 8 hens, but the roosters were 50+ yards when they got up. Was fun to see Herc get birdy again. He did great and smelled all the birds before they flushed. Going to hit'er again tomorrow after a goose hunt if I can find a good field. Good Luck All and Be Safe!!!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
copper pheasant opener.jpg

Copper had a great outing today... he is really starting to figure this whole hunting thing out :D

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So many young ones for us today. Coincidently, they were the only ones to crow upon take off.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good job guys!! I pushed a wheelbarrow, and a shovel most of today;:;banghead ;:;banghead because I'm redoing some landscape in the back yard. ;:;boozer

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else see a ton of young roosters?

Most if not all were young. I only hit a couple spots n had my limit in about 1.5 hours. Had I picked a better shot on my first group and shot a little better I'd been done real quick.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

5 shots yielded the 3 birds above and an undocumented skunk. Bird #3 didn't look "dead" enough on the way down so he got a 2nd oz of #5'a.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
All birds we seen were older birds, lots of hens, we got 6 of our 9 by 11 and dogs were pumped but tiring for the first outing so we called it. All was white when we started the day and I must say it was nice to not have to worry about over heating dogs this opener.image.jpg

And all the birds we came across held t i g h t, 5' flushes all day

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't have asked for much better weather for opener. Barely snowed where we were SE of Bismarck and was overcast and in the 30's all morning with a 5-10 mph wind and the birds cooperated. Today, tough going with that wind. The young birds we shot were pretty well colored out. Only had 1 time where a "hen" got up and then started cackling...usually see that quite a bit on opener.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88