pike populations...

Rekleiner

I love ice fishing for northern pike. I have a bunch of old school wood tip ups and use frozen smelt. This is my first season with a power auger. I got an ion X and it's awesome. I have been out twice this season with no luck and would love if anyone has ideas for early ice Pike. Locations within an hour of Bismarck. Other methods? Depth?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love ice fishing for northern pike. I have a bunch of old school wood tip ups and use frozen smelt. This is my first season with a power auger. I got an ion X and it's awesome. I have been out twice this season with no luck and would love if anyone has ideas for early ice Pike. Locations within an hour of Bismarck. Other methods? Depth?

For pike under 10lbs you could try in order of how I would rate them: Etta Alkaline Complex, Helen, Cherry, Horsehead. Beaver Bay on Oahe for a chance at a big one but I haven’t had much luck for numbers in recent years.

Rekleiner

- - - Updated - - -

For pike under 10lbs you could try in order of how I would rate them: Etta Alkaline Complex, Helen, Cherry, Horsehead. Beaver Bay on Oahe for a chance at a big one but I haven’t had much luck for numbers in recent years.
Thanks for the feedback. Today i was at Horsehead but didn't even get a bite. Seemed dead. Weird. I will keep trying!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -
Thanks for the feedback. Today i was at Horsehead but didn't even get a bite. Seemed dead. Weird. I will keep trying!

I’m not terribly surprised to hear horsehead sucked. Seems to be hit or miss and I have missed my last couple of times there too. That’s why it was the last one on my suggested list. :) Better luck next time.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rice lake by Strasberg. If you can't catch a pike there you should probably turn to baking!

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s the place to go for a mediocre buffet in dim lighting, or to study anatomy in sniffers row.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74