Pittbull breed, what do you think?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND community going the WRONG direction...

"By a narrow 4-3 vote, the Minot City Council decided on Tuesday to do away with a ban on pit bulls and rely on its dangerous dog ordinance to deal with animal behaviors."

https://www.minotdailynews.com/news...vans-better-ways-to-deal-with-dangerous-dogs/

Its worth noting that this was a preliminary vote and hasnt been finalized yet. If you care one way or the other about the outcome, the council members are on facebook. The woman who presented the idea is likely to not be swayed away from this action...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan,

I think the issue other communities have had with pitbull bans is that they are nearly impossible to enforce. Pits, or what many of us would lump into the category, include many AKC recognized breeds of dogs or mutts made from those breeds. So the owners just say "prove it's a pitbull" and then they win in court because the dog's DNA comes back as mostly bull mastiff, or some other AKC recognized breed that is not technically on the ban list.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had some renters move in a couple doors down that have a large pit. It is never let out of the yard and hasn't caused issues at all. But now, she just had a litter of pups and another neighbor who has serious issues taking care of his stuff and getting his kids to be somewhat responsible, took one of the pups. Cant wait to see how that things reacts to our 15 lb. ankle biter and my 2 year old daughter considering that its training and exercise will be non-existent.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan,

I think the issue other communities have had with pitbull bans is that they are nearly impossible to enforce. Pits, or what many of us would lump into the category, include many AKC recognized breeds of dogs or mutts made from those breeds. So the owners just say "prove it's a pitbull" and then they win in court because the dog's DNA comes back as mostly bull mastiff, or some other AKC recognized breed that is not technically on the ban list.
Yeah, I dont know how thats worded exactly but because many of them are mutts you kinda have to go by appearance and have it worded like that. Couple that lives behind me has a pitt, but they swear its a lab, but it looks like a pitt, its aggressive like a pit and they have no control over the damn thing. When my dogs are outside and it is let out, it jumps against their fence and barks, the whole fence shakes. My dogs are strongly discouraged from barking but the neighbors dont even try to punish their dog from barking, they will eventually let it back in the house if it barks for a while, but Ive never seen them scold it at all for its wild behavior. Im sure there is a way to blood test a dog to see if its whatever % pitt easily enough, through DNA analysis. Id think setting the limit at 25% pitt or less would be appropriate to determine if they are allowed in a community or not.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
2F342638-1DB4-4201-BE72-0B32ACCBCB41.jpeg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I doubt any of that happens at the Mobridge dog park LOL

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That and it's right by the river. Why wouldn't you just walk on the path by the river and let your dog run. If it were IN TOWN it might make sense. But yeah, I wouldn't want to strange dogs in that "park"

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That and it's right by the river. Why wouldn't you just walk on the path by the river and let your dog run. If it were IN TOWN it might make sense. But yeah, I wouldn't want to strange dogs in that "park"
A German Shepard just attacked a lady walking her lab on leash down on the trail. The German shepherd owners has no business owning a dog of any sort. I have taken that dog off the hiway by work a bunch of times

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This one was in my yard 3 days in a row this week. I tried to call it over when it was here Thursday afternoon to see if I could read it’s tag. It then stood in my yard next to the swing set my kids play on and growled and barked at me for 30 minutes. If it was dark, this dog would be dead. My neighbor was texting me and asked if he could shoot it multiple times. Animal control did come and left a live trap for me. If I catch it, it will likely get aspirin hamburger for lunch and released. They figured out who owns it and talked to them but doubt things will change. Owner went on the nextdoor app half ass apologizing and making excuses how it’s blind and that a moose knocked down her fence. Incredible to me how many people were more apologetic to her than the person with an aggressive stray dog in the yard their kids play in. But that’s our society.
2EA10259-AF95-44AF-B392-4B9B52C47539.jpeg

As far as I’m concerned, 9/10 dog owners should not own one. Within 5 minutes of getting to the park yesterday with my kids someone showed up with an unleashed dog that was jumping up on kids and scaring them. I have no time for the animals at this point. I’m to the point where I’d honestly rather hunt hunt birds without a dog 99/100 times than deal with it. Probably be a few comments on that, but everyone’s dog is a great listener in their own eyes. I have RARELY seen it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here was a letter to the editor that failed to influence the Minot City council enough to keep their pittbull ban. Its worth reading IMO:
As a Minot Physician for the past 37 years, and as a Ward county coroner, I strongly encourage the pit bull and related breed ban ordinance which was previously passed be upheld. I see Alderwoman Evans noted there were no pit bull bites in the last 3 years. Might I point out this would be expected, since there is a pit bull ban, and is good evidence the ban is working, not an excuse to get rid of it. She stated the ban was “vague, punitive, and unproven effectiveness.” I beg to differ. In addition to our own supporting pit bull bite statistic there are statistics from many cities that demonstrate the effectiveness of a ban. I’ll list a couple. Salina, Kansas, population 46,550, had 24 pit bull bites in the 2 year span prior to a pit bull ban being enacted. Over the next 15 years there were 17 pit bull bites, a 10 fold reduction. Their city council wisely voted to uphold it by a 3-2 vote in 2019. Pawtucket, Rhode Island instituted a ban in 2004 and was forced to rescind it in 2013. The rate of pit bull bites rose by 10 fold in the 6 years after the reversal.

Far from punitive, the issue comes down to the inherent differences between pit bull type dogs and other dogs. As North Dakotans we know and have observed various dogs and their behavior based on genetics, those bred for hunting versus those bred for herding, as examples. The pit bull was bred for fighting to the death. Unlike the usual dog, pit bulls were bred to be very muscular, very powerful, attacking without provocation, latching on, going for the face, persisting in the attack, tearing, mauling, disemboweling, and killing. Their body build reflects their bred purpose. They have a very high pain threshold and have been known to persist in an attack despite having been shot several times. They are difficult to physically control and, not infrequently, impossible to subdue when on the attack, at least before the victim is severely injured or dead. They have been known to dig under, climb over and tear through ordinary fences. They can be even more dangerous when chained, to any child who ventures within reach. They have been known to come through a neighbor’s screen door and jump out a second story window in pursuit of its victim. Several have killed the first time they ever attacked, without ever displaying previous aggressive behavior. While it may help some, no amount of love and discipline can change the dog’s DNA. Now, obviously, all pit bulls are not behaving this way. The problem is the inborn potential for them to behave this way is present, its expression is unpredictable, and its outcome is catastrophic. Several fatalities are documented where a pit bull was raised in a loving home and out of the blue attacked and killed, typically a child or older adult.

To give some statistics, from 2005 to 2020, the last year of a complete data set, 67% of dog bite fatalities were due to pit bulls, generally making up about 6% of dogs at that time. Rottweilers caused another 9%, and the remaining fatalities were caused by 37 different breeds. Pit bull type dogs tend to maul rather than bite, which can tear off large chunks of flesh and muscle rather than leaving more typical puncture wounds or smaller tears. Their bites result in greater hospitalizations, disfigurement, ocular injuries, complex injuries, and deaths. They are far more likely to inflict multiple wounds, to attack off property, and to attack unprovoked. There are no collected statistics on pet deaths as a result of pit bulls but it is know to be very high. Attacks on horses and other farm animals are well known.

Unfortunately, when a child or adult is maimed and disfigured for life, or is killed, there is no justice and there is little if any financial compensation. There is no penalty when our pet is killed by one of these. These animals are known to be dangerous yet no felony charges are leveled against their owners. Persons who own pit bulls rarely have the insurance to cover the devastating medical bills and loss of function a pit bull mauling causes. Pit bull owners seldom have insight into the potential devastation their animal can cause, sometimes even when they show aggressive behavior or have previously bitten. Our council members are the only ones who are in a position to protect our community from these potentially dangerous animals. The police can only act after the fact. By then it is too late. There have been no pit bull attacks in Minot for the past 3 years, because there have been no pit bulls. Let’s keep it that way.

Bobkat

Established Member
Excellent letter Lycan and chock full of accurate numbers.
I happened to run into a couple kennel owners last week and asked them about pitbulls. They had a number of horror stories about things like a pup getting a leg under the chain link into an adjacent PITBULL who tore the pups leg off. They had nothing good to say about them and both were adamant that they wouldn’t take one in a kennel. One used to take em but you had to rent both adjacent kennels left empty because they would attack and tear up the kennels. Couldn’t put em in a play yard be
For the same reason. And staff refused to work with some. Nothing but trouble and both agreed the pitbuñ
Las were about the only dogs they constantly had troubles with.
Yet, almost every day there are pictures and descriptions of cute adoptabñe loving sweet tempered etc. ad nauseum pit bulls. To I’ve those volunteers credit they dislike pitbulls too but are stuck with them far more than any other species of dog.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would requiring insurance on dogs, assuming pit bulls would be high, be an effective method of management? Does the finger up the bum work on pit bulls specifically. I have met a lady struggling to hold back two pit bulls on crap leashes/collars several times. They appear to just be curious and anxious to be out and about but had me wondering how to dial 911 with a finger up the bum of each dog.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would requiring insurance on dogs, assuming pit bulls would be high, be an effective method of management? Does the finger up the bum work on pit bulls specifically. I have met a lady struggling to hold back two pit bulls on crap leashes/collars several times. They appear to just be curious and anxious to be out and about but had me wondering how to dial 911 with a finger up the bum of each dog.
Already most homeowners insurance wont write policies for people who own pittbulls, but that doesnt seem to be a very good preventative. I think people should be held responsible for any damages caused by their dogs, criminally, but that often doesnt happen either...

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pittbulls are a ticking time bomb regardless of how they were raised. I don't understand why anyone would want to live with that. I make sure my family and dogs stay clear of any strange dog, especially the fighting breeds. If one of the those bastards attacked my family or dog not only would that dog be dead the owner would be in a world of hurt.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69