Planer Boards

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all, wanted to try running boards this spring for shallow walters, but never have used them before. is there any difference in size vs line vs rod? any help would be great;:;bowdown

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been running the standard off shore tackle planer boards for a couple years now. I would suggest if you get the offshore tackle boards, upgrade the flag to the tattle flag. Makes a big difference for when you get a small fish or some weeds on the crank. I haven't used the smaller size before, but for what I use boards for I find the standard size will accommodate most applications. I have even pulled spinners behind them over open water.

I have just used my normal trolling rods with 10/4 fireline and find that works fine. The only issue I have with the fireline is that if your pads get worn out the line can slip.

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Offshore boards with tattle flags, great for shallow water and shallower cranks. When you get bigger(harder pulling) cranks just disable the tattle flag and you are good to go.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm actually just getting my order ready for this spring. Left and right OR12, with the tattle flag upgrade that includes or16 clips.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
That was my next question, on board size/manufacturer. Ive been seeing a lot of yellow bird and magnum boards, but I'm not sure what size of board I should be looking at.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I have church tackle brand and yellow bird, they are cheaper and work the same. The churches brand are the big ones and the yellow birds are the small size with tattle flags. Works for me, just don't use them much.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
this sounds like an incredibly boring way to fish, but I like trolling/drifting bottom bouncers while drinking a beer so what do I know.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two offshores with the flags . They can be fun. Definitely a learning curve with them. Drug a 3lb eye at least a half mile last year. Flag never went down. K9 and I thought we were dragging a small bit of weeds. That's the biggest pain, not always knowing what you have on with the board 60 feet to the side in waves-although most times it is easy to detect a sizable fish.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
just teasing. Anytime spent fishing is better than most any time not fishing.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me, Darin, and my buddy Jeff (who is a goolie) pulled boards 20 years ago down by Linton on the Missouri. We had 2 rods off the back, 2 left boards, and 2 right boards going. Talk about a cluster fuck when we would catch a fish or need to turn around... good times, glad to have had them.

I don't use them really ever anymore, but would be willing to do it again, if the mood strikes me

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Offshore standard sized boards with tattle flags. Like the saying goes, why bother with the rest when you can have the best.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only use boards on long runs. Other wise like Johnr said thier just to big a pain in the ass.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been running boards for sixteen years. I've tried every board there is. even some you've never heard of. And Offshore's still out perform them all in the majority of the situations. When I first started using them I used tattle flags. don't use em anymore because I can tell when anything is on em now. But when I did run em I had different strengths of springs for different size/depths of cranks.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
More information here than you can shake a stick at. I used to get their flyer that was full of information. It's all logged on here under Articles.

http://www.offshoretackle.com/

I have the OR 12 offshore boards and the church boards. OR 16 clips. Ran fireline 10/4 on 8 1/2 walleye angler rods.

Keep an eye on your pads on the OR 16's if you are pulling braided line. Hard on the pads. Can get replacement pads when needed at above addy or Scheels i'm sure. I honestly never used the boards much. Priorities lie in other presentations before I pull the boards out.

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
EYEXER got me turned onto boards! The guy knows his stuff. I use boards a lot now and there is a time and place for them. If im trolling shoreline contour with a lot of structure or trees I will usually leave them in the boat! Now you get out on a long flat and want to cover some water hell yea I love them! They are also great for when the fish seem to be a little "spooky".
I will agree with everyone that offshore boards are the way to go! They run great and both calm water and the rough stuff.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
EYEXER got me turned onto boards! The guy knows his stuff. I use boards a lot now and there is a time and place for them. If im trolling shoreline contour with a lot of structure or trees I will usually leave them in the boat! Now you get out on a long flat and want to cover some water hell yea I love them! They are also great for when the fish seem to be a little "spooky".
I will agree with everyone that offshore boards are the way to go! They run great and both calm water and the rough stuff.

first time we've seen those words typed on this site. way to go eye!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33