Pope

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Greenhorn you ever been at this one, this is what it is all about, Mine was halve this size still standing with the doors never locked, how about the ones you go to
1703384956780.jpeg

Not in the country, but a beautiful church!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There must be some nice old Churches in the RR valley, I remember seeing a nice one in Hankinson .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to read it later. I'm surrounded with 9 Grandkids with 5 or 6 of them competing for my undivided attention so they can show me their newly acquired yo-yo skills. Between the "hey Grandpa , watch this" and "hey Grandpa look it" I gave up for now.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll have to read it later. I'm surrounded with 9 Grandkids with 5 or 6 of them competing for my undivided attention so they can show me their newly acquired yo-yo skills. Between the "hey Grandpa , watch this" and "hey Grandpa look it" I gave up for now.
lol

yes, it’s a deep read

can’t imagine reading it under that boisterous environment

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you believe in God and die and there is no God its not that big of a deal. If you don't believe in God you die and there is a God its a big deal.
Occasionally I think about this attitude... maybe my indoctrination was different but if God is everywhere and knows everything, doesn't this approach mean you are pulling the wool over the big guy?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fascinating read for atheists, agnostics, and Christians.

https://www.thefp.com/p/paul-kingsnorth-christianity-faith
Excellent article guy. In the past when I had a disagreement on a particular agricultural practice with GST he woukd like others here fall back on calling me anti farmer, but more often included environmentalist. My view is everyone is an environmentalist, but I didn't go into biology as an environmentalist. I wanted to serve my fellow hunters.
Early in my career I realized I was a conservationist, not a preservationists. Also I realized that I did want to preserve a portion of our natural earth, not for the sake of the environment, but with agreement with the Bible that the stars and all nature bear witness to God the creator. At the end of my career I felt that my purpose was not nature and wildlife, but to bear witness to the corruption not of science, but of humans in science.
In seminary my sons theologians told him there are five types of evangelizing and he was the fifth type----- truth above all and at all cost. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Occasionally I think about this attitude... maybe my indoctrination was different but if God is everywhere and knows everything, doesn't this approach mean you are pulling the wool over the big guy?

This is where I feel my argument comes in play. Keep in mind all of these questions are rhetorical and I am posting to hopefully bring some questions the NA congregation (see what I did there) will ponder in their own faith.

If God is all knowing, and all powerful, why not when enough people pray for world peace it falls on deaf ears?

Also, if God is everywhere and sees everything I do, why must I attend mass in a church for me to be considered for heaven? Can't I just enjoy the beauty he has provided be it on a boat on a lake or in my home he has provided for me?

Or, if I lead a terrible life of sin because that's what I enjoy to do, why can't I on my deathbed be forgiven of all my sins and go to heaven anyway?

I don't want to stir the pot anymore than I already have but these are just a few questions I've had on my journey.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am leery of discussions of religion, I have lost my faith and would not like to cause anyone to lose theirs.

Makes me curious if the oilfield helped with the cause ? When I went in at 18, I forgot everything mama ever told me about God and the Bible. The faith was always there for me but almost all the roughnecks couldn't tell a short story without 12 fn f bombs and after work they were daily party animals. It was fun while it lasted but eventually I got away from the atmosphere and remembered where I came from.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is where I feel my argument comes in play. Keep in mind all of these questions are rhetorical and I am posting to hopefully bring some questions the NA congregation (see what I did there) will ponder in their own faith.

If God is all knowing, and all powerful, why not when enough people pray for world peace it falls on deaf ears?
Because we live on a cursed earth since Adam's fall.
Also, if God is everywhere and sees everything I do, why must I attend mass in a church for me to be considered for heaven? Can't I just enjoy the beauty he has provided be it on a boat on a lake or in my home he has provided for me?
You don't need church, but you need like minded people in your life. Enjoy the beauty.
Or, if I lead a terrible life of sin because that's what I enjoy to do, why can't I on my deathbed be forgiven of all my sins and go to heaven anyway?
You coukd be forgiven. On the other hand you may kiss a 18 wheeler head on in the next few days and not have time to ask for forgiveness. Also if that is a person's plan God will not be treated like Santa or be taken advantage of.
I don't want to stir the pot anymore than I already have but these are just a few questions I've had on my journey.
You have the sane questions we all have had.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you don't need to go to a church to follow God, one thing that has made following Jesus easier is the internet, when the pandemic happened people could still hear God's words if they so choose to. In all actuality it most likely been that way since the inception of the television.
That's what is so wonderful about God's love is as long as you believe in his son Jesus Christ you can always be forgiven. Only through Jesus can you make it to the promised land, some theologians have contemplating this part as written in the Bible that only those who believe in Jesus will make it to heaven but Jesus said i knew you even before you were born so its possible that everyone is still worthy of his ever lasting life. I to struggle with my faith as a catholic, but I am very fortunate that my parents loved me enough to make it important that I atleast know that God's love is

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
you don't need to go to a church to follow God, one thing that has made following Jesus easier is the internet, when the pandemic happened people could still hear God's words if they so choose to. In all actuality it most likely been that way since the inception of the television.

That's what is so wonderful about God's love is as long as you believe in his son Jesus Christ you can always be forgiven. Only through Jesus can you make it to the promised land, some theologians have contemplating this part as written in the Bible that only those who believe in Jesus will make it to heaven but Jesus said i knew you even before you were born so its possible that everyone is still worthy of his ever lasting life. I to struggle with my faith as a catholic, but I am very fortunate that my parents loved me enough to make it important that I atleast know that God's love is
Nice Lunk.(y)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to dive too deep into this religious/philosophical discussion, but I am not of the opinion that Hitler, Saddam, Stalin, or Bin Laden could repent on their death bed and still end up in the same place as Noah or Moses.

That may be what some people's interpretation of God's word would suggest, but it gives me heartburn.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88