Porcupines in South Bismarck

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever see them in south west Bismarck? I've never seen one myself but by the looks of the trees on fox island up to the bow range there must be a fair few of them around. Tons of trees missing bark in that area.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't there a story of a huge unsolved investigation a few years ago about this?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
How high up in the trees. Way up in the branches it nearly has to be porcupines. I have seen small willows etc debarked ten feet up by rabbits and even mice when snowbanks get real high.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's for the most part in Russian olives and its mid level to near the top. I know of no other animal around here it could be just never see one in that area before.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of my dogs found one down by McLean bottoms a year ago while we were out bird hunting. So I'd imagine it's possible.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres gotta be porkies down there. They're fairly common little creatures.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theres gotta be porkies down there. They're fairly common little creatures.

Seams like there should be since they are found all the way around town but having grown up playing in the forests from cottonwood lake over to fox and still hunting the same area. In all that time I've never come across one or seen their tell tail damage and now suddenly there are trees all over showing damage some right up to people's yards. There not a big deal just something a little different then before. Bet their life expectancy goes down quite fast when they start chewing on someone's favorite tree in their yard.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I crossed paths with one south of town last spring. I quickly backed away before he could throw any quills at me.

rhino2003

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't doubt it, my folks had one in their backyard one time and they live close to Cracker Barrel.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I crossed paths with one south of town last spring. I quickly backed away before he could throw any quills at me.

I get your humor.

- - - Updated - - -

Lived in South Bismarck since 1980. Played in the woods a LOT. Never saw one, but they have to be around. I saw a Jack Link's commercial once though.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get your humor.

- - - Updated - - -

Lived in South Bismarck since 1980. Played in the woods a LOT. Never saw one, but they have to be around. I saw a Jack Link's commercial once though.

Make sure you kill everyone you see. If you don't have a weapon a long stick (limb off one of the trees they killed) works good.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as we're are on the subject have any of you ever seen an opossum around Bismarck? Last summer I came across a road killed one near the misty water turn on river road. See them dead on the road down in mo all the time but I was a little surprised to see one up here.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You obviously didn't watch Saturday morning cartoons back in the day. :D

No sorry, mostly Bob Ross, Nova and Julia Child. I feel they developed me into the epitome of man flesh.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 146
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51