Pork Butts

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Making another batch of sausage in the next couple of weeks, and I'm trying to find a decent price on some pork butts. Everything that I've seen around Mandan/Bismarck lately has been anywhere from 1.39-1.89/lb.

Has anyone come across the 0.99/lb specials? Will need 60-80lbs.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know someone who runs a cafe and he gets them thru Food Services of America and sell them to me fairly cheap. They are boneless, also. Know any folks like this? School, Hospital?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
cloverdale country store in mandan was the best price i found when i was doing deer sausage

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you know someone with a Sams card call and check on price by the case, I have saved over.60 cents a pound for Boston Butts and the cases are about 70-85 LBS dukgnfsn

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cloverdale apparently does not carry pork trim anymore. At least that is what they told us about a month ago. Sams was way cheaper than Cloverdale for the pork butts. Deboning them is easy and very little of it.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pork trim is better. Go through the clover dale country store.

I agree that pork trim is better in some cases, but it all depends what mixture you're using. A 50/50 mixture with trimmings would be too fatty. I'll be making mostly brats and breakfast sausage this time around, so the butts will work better for me in this case.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pork trim is better. Go through the clover dale country store.

I have to disagree as "Trimmings" means something different to every butcher shop. I tried pork trimmings twice from two different places and will NEVER do that again. What I received was mostly fat, gristle, and other yumminess to include the usda ink stamps that wasn't even white, it was more of a grey color and greasy with almost no meat whatsoever. There were glands, chunks of skin with hair still on them, and lots of connective tissue that closely resembled the crap I cleaned of my venison. I now use boston butts almost exclusively for my sausage. They provide enough fat to keep the sausage moist and flavorful while providing the meat to temper the wild flavor of the venison. I usually get my stuff from Sams for between 1.17 and 1.25 a pound for bone in roasts. Maybe clover dale provides something other than what I got, but I have my suspicions.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41