Pork for deer sausage ?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the best/cheapest place to get pork trimming or pork butts roasts for making deer sausage in Bismarck/Mandan ?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
pork butts at sams on sale. you could try butcher block or any of the meat processing plants

This^^^^ I bought boston butts at the Sams in Fargo for 1.17 lb if you bought whole cases. The bone weighs about a pound so I figure it cost me about 1.23 or so a lb for the actual pork meat and fat.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This^^^^ I bought boston butts at the Sams in Fargo for 1.17 lb if you bought whole cases. The bone weighs about a pound so I figure it cost me about 1.23 or so a lb for the actual pork meat and fat.

^^^^yup. Sam's Club is dirt cheap if you buy a case of pork butts.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think Butcher Blocks butts were 1.59 or 1.69 good quality. I usually get them from cloverdale outlet store but you have to buy a case which is 75lbs or so. West Dakota has boned out shoulders I have used which have always been good. Dans is a good place to buy meat as they have a satisfaction guarantee. I have got bad butts from Central Market and Sams which both had boar taint. If you have ever smelled boar meat you will loose your cookies.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sams for us too.

Hey did you sum bitches know that they also sell the Wishek Sausage spice mix at the Supervalu? Just found that out after all these years.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Butcher Blocks butts were 1.59 or 1.69 good quality. I usually get them from cloverdale outlet store but you have to buy a case which is 75lbs or so. West Dakota has boned out shoulders I have used which have always been good. Dans is a good place to buy meat as they have a satisfaction guarantee. I have got bad butts from Central Market and Sams which both had boar taint. If you have ever smelled boar meat you will loose your cookies.

You can also buy your pork butts pre-ground at butcher block too I guess. However you want it ground. A guy should compare the price of ground vs whole butt....for a few bucks it would be worth the time savings.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meats by John and Wayne sell pork by the case at a reasonable price.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try to find pork without anything injected- brines, etc... and would be willing to pay a little more for quality. Also, and I cannot help it, I did not know that boars had taints. Carry on.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not in the BisMan area but I do know that I prefer to spend a little more for good meaty butts. Some pork fat is good, too much does not make for good sausage. Trimming off the outside is easy, trimming the marbling is not.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would try to find pork without anything injected- brines, etc... and would be willing to pay a little more for quality. Also, and I cannot help it, I did not know that boars had taints. Carry on.

Haha. It is a slang term that is used by butchers in reference to tainted meat of a boar. Boar meat is basically inedible. There are very few slaughter plants that will take a boar but some still slip through most are made into animal food.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not in the BisMan area but I do know that I prefer to spend a little more for good meaty butts. Some pork fat is good, too much does not make for good sausage. Trimming off the outside is easy, trimming the marbling is not.

This statement has WAY too many possibilities and brought back some fond memories of my younger years. Thanks!!!

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the best/cheapest place to get pork trimming or pork butts roasts for making deer sausage in Bismarck/Mandan ?
Not sure on pork trimmings, but last I checked theres a pretty healthy supply of pork butts at Bucks bar downtown... ;)

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got back from picking up a case of pork butts from Sams. Current price is $1.18/lb here in Grand Forks.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got back from picking up a case of pork butts from Sams. Current price is $1.18/lb here in Grand Forks.

Their case price is usually much lower (like a $1/lb) than if you buy an individual one. The left over ones freeze great for later use in the smoker.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey did you sum bitches know that they also sell the Wishek Sausage spice mix at the Supervalu? Just found that out after all these years.
Do you know if they ship the spices, have never had the sausage but have heard plenty of good reviews would like to make a batch and give it a try.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
We started buying pork loins a few years ago. if you can catch them on sale it is a huge time saver and the cost isn't that much higher when you look at the pork butt waste. usually buy 1 Butt for the fat because the loins tend to be a little lean.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 249
  • This month: 205
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66