Portable houses

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at getting a portable before winter and been looking pretty hard at the Clam Big Foot XL4000T. Any suggestions on a different one or anyone have one of these and how do you like it?

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with the Eskimo 6120 last year and love it. I guess the reason I bought it over the clam was because what I heard about their customer service and replacement parts, windows etc. They send you what you need if something breaks on it. The clam I heard you have to send it off to get fixed. That's just what I was told but haven't had to try it yet. I say whatever makes you happy, do it!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 4000 and it is a nice big house. Easy to set up unless it is windy. The zippers on mine are hard to open and close but I have not had it since new so I don't know how it was cared for before. It can be tough to keep warm if it is really cold and windy. I run a sunflower heater.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
As most portables, easy to set up unless windy as hell. Can set mine up in about 30 seconds or so, that is when I'm not sipping a cold Busch light at the same time. The 6120 is real roomy also. I had 8 holes in it last year with a buddy of mine and could have probably put at least 2 more in it. Not sure how tall you are, but I think it has a 6 1/2 foot clearance in the center. I'm about 5' 10" and I don't hit my head anywhere except maybe getting in the door.

- - - Updated - - -

I also run a sunflower heater in mine but wasn't out when it was real cold.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished out of both and have owned a clam xl4000. I'd go with the Eskimo. Better insulation and better construction. Windy days are going to make the best pop up difficult but if you stake one corner down, you're good to go. Just hurry so you don't stress out one anchor grommet.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 4000 and it is a nice big house. Easy to set up unless it is windy. The zippers on mine are hard to open and close but I have not had it since new so I don't know how it was cared for before. It can be tough to keep warm if it is really cold and windy. I run a sunflower heater.

A bar of soap or wax from a candle rubbed on the teeth should/might make your zippers work like new again.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always keep a couple cheap chap sticks in one of the zipper pouches to keep the zippers lubed.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the bigfoot. really like it when I take the kids with and dont plan on moving. the only thing I dont like about it are the anchors. I bought the drill adapter to put them in which IMO are a must.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big of one do you want? I have an Eskimo 949i and I love it. Very easy to setup and extremely warm. Its pretty tight with more then 2 guys in there though.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
probly one to fit 3-4 guys comfortably. the 612 looks like it should work alright

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Bigfoot also. Plenty of room I'm 6'5 and stand up no problem. Sets up tears down great also the oversize bag is handy. Pet peeve when I get a product that hardly fit in its intended case. I wish the insulation was a little better. A mr heater struggles when the wind blows but a couple more LP cans and you're set.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77