Potty training puppies

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Patience and praise seemed to work well with both of our GSP's. The first one was trained without a crate and although there were a few more accidents, we kept her in a confined area of the house, so clean up was easier. Taking then outside soon after eating worked well, also having obtained the pups in the spring and summer helped, as no one wants to go outside when it's really cold and windy, not to mention snow up to their .....!. Our second pup was crate trained, as I totally agree with Bfishn, in as only leave enough room for them to sleep as they do not want to sleep where they go.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got our dog two weeks before christmas. Never again will I get a dog in the winter. It could have been a lot worse but it still sucked to get out of a warm bed to let her outside a few times each night.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We got our dog two weeks before christmas. Never again will I get a dog in the winter. It could have been a lot worse but it still sucked to get out of a warm bed to let her outside a few times each night.

Picked up my yellow Lab the second week of Nov. It was a very, very snowy year and he loved to go out A LOT. So much his registered name is Maximum P Boogie, he had to pee every 10 minutes and would just wander through the snow until he found the right spot. EVERY 10 minutes.

Attachments

Max snow 3 months old.jpg

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member

I hear ya. We picked ours up the week before christmas. It sucked going out in the middle of the night but then again the dog hated it too and would go to the bathroom right away. Now that its nice out she wants to run around sniffing before she goes.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you need to be away for over 12hrs; I've found placing pads down at the site of previous accidents is a lifesaver. Of course, this is for when they're trained and older. First few times dog was ashamed but copious amounts of praise insured I didn't come home to a mess. The pads work great, don't allow seepage and hold in odor. I'd make a 2X2 pad and secure with duct tape. Worked for me anyways. It helped as most accidents were at the bottom of the stairs. I guess one could add a "potty rock" to the pads. (maybe a speck of doe urine?...) Garage wasn't an option and she was too good to be kept kenneled for 14+ hrs.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this would be more to difficult to implement with a hog-leg male.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first golden retriever we did not kennel train and she was a terror as a puppy. Granted this was while we were in college so i was probably more to blame. My most recent GSP may have had 1 or 2 accidents. We kennel trained every time she came out of the kennel or ate she was lead straight out side. A nice trick with Male dogs is pick a spot in the back yard where you want them to do there buisness and take a leak there every so often. Most will try to show domeniance and pee there aswell. Makes n it a little easier on the grass.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Vizsla has been one of the easiest dogs I've had to train. She had a few accidents but not to bad. I crate trained her. She has full run of the house most nights. If she ever shits in a shoe like her sister I might have to consider locking her up at night.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
She had one and it was a long time before it happened again. Then it was three times in one week. Vizsla's have some wicked separation anxiety.

Vizslas are what they call "velcro" dogs. They want to be with you 25 hours of every 24 hour day (I've heard it can be that bad).

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is nothing bad about a "velcro dog" except life.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Viz isn't aNY worse then any other dog. It's all in socialization of the pup determines Sep anxiety. Properly socialized pup will turn into a confident dog.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've have shorthairs and wire hairs and they aren't nearly as in need of attention. It doesn't matter how many dogs and people she hangs out with, our vizsla isn't happy unless she's by both of us. The Velcro designation fits perfectly. As far as the potty training goes, she hasn't had an issue in the house in a long time. If someone new comes over she will greet them with some dribbles. If she has to go out, she stands by the front door. If she'd pick one spot in the yard, it wouldn't look like a polka dot field. Ahab, when do you pick up your new pup?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you live in gods country --- i only could dream of habitat you have to run that dog. I had to run mine on a gravel road -- but i did and i still continue to run her along my bike. They get preocuppied and pretty soon they go down and crawl into the kennel and dont want anything to do with you other than hunting. They sleep, eat and think about hunting 24-7.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
you live in gods country --- i only could dream of habitat you have to run that dog. I had to run mine on a gravel road -- but i did and i still continue to run her along my bike. They get preocuppied and pretty soon they go down and crawl into the kennel and dont want anything to do with you other than hunting. They sleep, eat and think about hunting 24-7.

When fishing finally gets off my mind 24/7, I'll be taking her out to my inlaws to run the tree rows.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've have shorthairs and wire hairs and they aren't nearly as in need of attention. It doesn't matter how many dogs and people she hangs out with, our vizsla isn't happy unless she's by both of us. The Velcro designation fits perfectly. As far as the potty training goes, she hasn't had an issue in the house in a long time. If someone new comes over she will greet them with some dribbles. If she has to go out, she stands by the front door. If she'd pick one spot in the yard, it wouldn't look like a polka dot field. Ahab, when do you pick up your new pup?

You have to train her to use one spot in the yard to go to the bathroom. Not too hard, just every time she looks like she is going to pee or poop and it's not in the area you want, you have to tell her NO then point her in the direction you want her to go. Did this with my lab at my old house in Fargo, now in Bismarck. Even knows where to go at my father in laws house too. So nice not having to wonder where the landmines are....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;boozernow you know the reason i havent been out fishing--- between running my kids, dog and running behind my wife all for the sake of getting them off my back - i havent had any time. :)

Ahab - with the new pup coming online - he ought to be busy boy.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same chime, here. Porta-kennel trained for the first few months. I picked up my pup the first week of November. Just hated seeing that puppy face down on the floor looking up at me. Picked him up into my lap. He's now a 68# lap dog when I'm in my recliners; not allowed on any other furniture. He's a 5-1/2yo Weimaraner/Lab bird dog.

Just remember:
1) The potty training is only a temporary thing
2) The kennel is a tool, but is also the pup's feel-safe home
a. Don't use it as a punishment place
b. Keep the door open anytime the pup is out
3) Anytime the pup comes out of the porta-kennel it goes outside to relieve itself
a. Immediately after the reward/positive affirmation is given (key)
b. Fun time and freedom comes next for 'x' timeframe you feel you have.
c. Goes back in the porta-kennel where humans are

If you repeat these three things above for a few months you will have extremely limited 'accidents' and your dog will learn potty training much quicker than any pad-ever-purchased method is.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least she keeps a constant look out for any bad guys.

15541156_1276649595729676_8866671177221221032_n.jpg

Why do I have a feeling she is standing on a car. Mine learned how to climb chain link fences ;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

FB_IMG_1462989396072.jpg
And the bars going up to the slide for the kids.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our last lab we took out right after eating and drinking. Took her about 100 feet from the house by our new tree rows and from then on whenever she had to go she would run over there and do her thing. Nice not having to clean up the yard. Of course this was on the farm. Also told her while she was peeing to " go pee" and while pooing to "go Poo". Now that is all i have to say while traveling and she stops sniffing or running and does her business. Treats help with some and some it doesn't matter if they get them or not.
Also had her trained not to eat until i told her to. That was nice while traveling, now we let her eat and drink whenever she wants. She doesn't eat unless hungry. You can leave a whole bag of food out and she won't touch it until you put it in her bowl. Doesn't chew on things unless they are her "chew" toys. Doesn't mess with the other dogs toys either. They know which ones are theirs. None of them will dig or go through the garbage if you take the bag out and set it on the floor. They know better and learned that right away.
Her only vice is if you let her out in the yard she has to bark once or twice just so the neighbors know she is outside.

Forgot to add she was an excellent hunter and retriever. Now since moving to town she has been unemployed. Enjoys riding around in the backseat of the vehicles and Dad had better roll the back window down too! Gets pissed off while driving when we see rooster pheasants and we don't stop. She starts whining like don't you see them old man!!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14