Power Pro, Fire Line or ???

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't either, so that's why I stop reeling before it gets there. (Grin) I started to use the albright knot as well, but I found that retieing to a swivel is much faster than tying an albright, especially in the dark. Also, the floro separated from the pp much more often than separating at the jig head so I found I was tying 3 ft leaders about as often as I was tying on a jig so I just stuck with the swivel. I do crash the swivel into the tip guide a couple times an outing though and it makes me cringe every time.
This why I went back to mono on my jigging rod. Seemed like I was breaking off at the knot more often. What knot do you use on your swivel/leader junction since a palomar is out of the question.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Modified clinch for everything fresh water. Salt water gets a bit more interesting.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Modified clinch for everything fresh water. Salt water gets a bit more interesting.

I wish I would have continued tying knots after leaving the Navy. Nothing like tying a knot and knowing which one to tie.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
They say the modified clinch isn't a good knot for braid, but I put an extra twist through the last loop of the knot and it hasn't slipped very many times and the times I lose the swivel, I think is to a fray in the line or the swivel gets caught and busts off.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What knots do you use? I tried the double palmor knot they say to use on the package but kept having knots come undone. I went back to PP and Fireline

that is really odd - all I use is the single Palomar and I straighten out standard jig hooks on snags in the Red using 10 lb all day long (beats re-tying) or it breaks at the knot

never ever does it slip loose - or maybe I can't tell cuz the nano doesn't get coily at the break point like mono? sure seem like breaks though

yes, I know, at some point the "re-bending the hook trick" will burn you with a snapped hook cuz they get brittle after a while - so I swap out when things get where the hooks getting crystalized

if there's a chance for big fish on the line I use the meaner jigs with beefier hooks (VMC, Scheels High Grade with keepers, yadda) - and then 10 lb will break so I upgrade to 12-14 ish

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks guywhofishes. Ill give it another try this year. i only used it when it first hit the shelves

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA and others are right though - it is the worst performing abrasion line there is - rocks/concrete/rubble is a death sentence for that stuff

but the casting is so so nice, it has that perfect limpness-to-body ratio and never ever ever coils

and it freaking floats when I slip-bobber! and yes - slip knots stay in position on nano quite nicely

since I have fallen head over heels for it - it is almost guaranteed they will change it or discontinue it soon

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nano on 2 rods, 15lb Power Pro Super 8 slick on most of my other rigs, and mono on one. I love the super slick for river fishing because of the power and abrasion resistance compared to nano. Nano's casting distance is unparalleled. I use mono for throwing spoons and blade baits to add some shock absorption and a nice sink rate. Also, I run Seaguar Red Label flouro leaders on everything mostly to keep more lures from swimming away in a pike's mouth.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been running fireline since it came out i have had great luck with it. I got it on the crank rods and jigiing/rigging rods. For my pitching rods i use 8lb test 2lb diameter? all the other ones are 14lb test and 8lb diameter. Some of the spools i have had on for 4-5 years i just cut 30 to 40 feet off and it is like new line underneath. I've tried suffix and it definately has it's place for pitching no doubt and might spool up a spare reel for that reason only. As far as power pro goes maybe try it on some of the crank rods next time they need to get filled, what is it's upside over fireline.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with Sweeney.
I have fireline on some bottom bouncer setups that's older than my teenage kids, not kidding either. And I fish about 3 days a week, when it started getting old I just reeled it onto a new setup that way the stuff that never gets used is up front.

For pitching I like Nano, if the fish are shy I'll go with a fluro leader. I'm a fan of Gama copolymer as well, but its hard to find these days.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I constantly am rethinking my setups. I have great luck with fireline. It's usually on all my setups. I recently spooled up mono on my vertical jigging rod. I forgot how much it sucks. I think I'm going to switch it out with power pro super slick.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I constantly am rethinking my setups. I have great luck with fireline. It's usually on all my setups. I recently spooled up mono on my vertical jigging rod. I forgot how much it sucks. I think I'm going to switch it out with power pro super slick.

nanofil and PowerPro had a love child - they named it Superslick 8. That's how awesome it is

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like nano for icefishing, it never freezes up and is super sensitive. Started using it this spring on two rods for casting and like the distance you get from the stuff.
and have yet to break off a fish like I have read in reviews. I use 6 lb and retie every once in a while. Use the double palomar knot.
Still use 6lb floro for vertical jigging, I love the slight stretch it provides on fish that are right below the boat. Trolling cranks, I use Fireline. Pulling bottom bouncers, I use 10 lb floro or Trilene XT

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a bead above the swivel to keep it from smacking into your rod tip. They make these soft, glow-in-the-dark beads as well you put above your leader for night musky fishing to keep from doing that very thing in the dark.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80