Power Pro, Fire Line or ???

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fireline for pitching and pulling cranks. Powerpro for vertical jigging, slipping, and bottom bouncers.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talked into spooling up some super slick 8 onto a few of my rods. I don't foresee any changes in my future. Casts a mile, ties nicely, and doesn't have any characteristics of mono, which makes me happy. 10lb on my jigging rods and 15 lb on my rigging rods.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run pp slick 8 on most of my rods... best casting line I've used... suffix 838 lead core for pulling cranks

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought my first three spools of Suffix 832 last month. We'll see how well they hold out over the next few seasons. I've usually kept mono on my rods for the sensitivity and feel, but have Fireline 14/4 on my trolling rods.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still like fireline. Honestly though I don't think it matters that much.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 15lb test 4 lb diameter for everything.. in timber brown... I like the thicker diameter of the 15lb vs 10lb is like 2lb diameter (mono equivalent)... I also have a 1500 yard spool of it to use up

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah side note... power pro will eat up the guides on your rods... i noticed this year I'm going to have to put an old rod away because of it... rod is 40 year old k-mart special that has caught more fish than any new rod i have

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 pound powerpro on my big ugly stiks used for pulling cranks or spinners. currently have nanofil with floro leader on my jigging/casting rods but next time I respool I'm going away from the nanofil because of piss poor abrasion resistance. Still use mono for bobbers and the rods that I hardly ever use. nanofil and the cabelas ripcord ice stuff for ice fishing along with a floro leader on all rods

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my experiences, nanofil is complete garbage. It casts very good, probably better than any line out there. However, I have tried it two or three times now, and all have resulted in me unspooling the reels and throwing it in the trash. I don't have problems with knots, but the line will just randomly snap and break, anywhere from right above the lure to several feet above. I have lost multiple fish after the hook set. I think if you look at the line wrong it will break! I have even taken a lot of line off and retied. Still breaks. I will no longer be using this product. Way too expensive and my use of f bombs have increased dramatically when fishing with this line. Extremely frustrating to lose fish because that crap breaks. Going to be sticking with power pro and will be giving super slick a try. The end.

Last edited:

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used both and could take either. This year I've been using the Fire Line Tracer Braid for pitching and it works well. Over the course of the season the original color seems to wear off so I strip back about 20 yards every so often to get down to the unused part of the spool. In the past I've seemed to have issues with Power Pro and wind knots....sometimes I believe it's because I over filled the spool and other times I think it's because the Power Pro seems to limp....kind of like heavy sewing thread.
For now I think I will stick with the Fire Line.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might be the minority but have had 0 issues with nanofil. Used it all winter and have it on two reels that have fished allot since April. Mostly pitching/casting swim baits, jigging and crank baits and drop shot rigs. I do check the last few feet every ocean a while and if I see abrasion I cut and retie as I do with any brand. Haven't had it break yet except for the odd severe snag that would break any 6 lb line that I have used.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a wad of mono during a long run home on devils lake. Lower unit went out and it was a bad day. Pp on most of my rigs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69