Preserving Spool Depth

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love braided line; I was good enough as a kid to hook and lose a lot of big fish due to line failure thanks to Bill, Al, Roland, Babe, etc from the bank:

With braid; ALL spools can be "considered" "fly reels'": Be creative:

1716002967146.png

1716003144279.png

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not for slip bobbers or Carolina Rigs per se: These are for dedicated rods with "freedom" and "intent": The above^^^^will result in a "short stop".

That is all.

Last edited:

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
You operate on a different wavelength than me. Not a bad thing, I just don't follow. Please elaborate on what split rings and quick clips has to do with line failure and or braided line and spool depth?

Are you talking about adding backing to spinning reels like they are fly reels? If so, I've added shit mono to reels for years so I didn't fill the spool with expensive braid.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow. :( Your spool can be filled and last a very long time if you attach a speed clip and make leaders off the split rings. If/when the line turns white all you need is a black/brown/green Sharpie. The little "hairs" which appear over time are nothing to worry about. I have one spool at proper fill with 10 year old (at least) Power Pro: I bought when it was the cheapest option.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
OP makes no sense to me, what are you smoking SVN?
I had the talent to hook but not seal the deal. 4/15 and 6/20 sort of changed my life. Also; sometimes it's like y'all don't WANT to understand...

Anyways: A good sandwich is summer sausage/provolone on pumpernickel with some sort of "rustic" mustard: Accompany with "kettle chips" and a porter/red ale. :p

1716261706659.png

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow. :( Your spool can be filled and last a very long time if you attach a speed clip and make leaders off the split rings. If/when the line turns white all you need is a black/brown/green Sharpie. The little "hairs" which appear over time are nothing to worry about. I have one spool at proper fill with 10 year old (at least) Power Pro: I bought when it was the cheapest option.
really depends on the lake. Rocks = line replacement.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
split ring on the spool? I guess I would tie a simple double unit knot. That way if you do cast long enough the knot will free flow out of the eylets instead of stopping short when the split ring snags at the end of the rod.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
split ring on the spool? I guess I would tie a simple double unit knot. That way if you do cast long enough the knot will free flow out of the eylets instead of stopping short when the split ring snags at the end of the rod.
Have you ever tried tying that knot 6 beers deep, in the wind, when you forgot your glasses?

It's enough to take up golfing...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, snap on main line...

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am having the same trouble depicting where exactly this metal goes as well. are we talking inches, feet, yards, 50 yards? from lure end of the line?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am having the same trouble depicting where exactly this metal goes as well. are we talking inches, feet, yards, 50 yards? from lure end of the line?
Main line/quick snap/O ring/leader of desired length/whatever you can imagine/Palomar knots.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
For example: When a jig isn't "doing it" anymore off a point: Change the lead for a Shad Rap. If that's not the ticket; Husky Jerk: For the "Grand Finale":

1716345751461.png

There's myriad possibilities; only limited to the knot/first quick snap endurance. BTW: Walleye love "Moccasin", "Motor Oil" and "Tomato" Culprits (7.5in). Tomato is also a fine clear saltwater color.

Texas Rig or clip off the right amount to slide on a jig.

That is all,

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure following either. Are you talking about 3 or so feet from end of main ? For example, flourocarbon last 3'? Quick clip, is that going to be an extra weed /moss catch ?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please show us how your going to attach that texas rig.

The issue with any of those rings etc is if you reel them into your eyelets.

If i am using a ring or clasp --- or straight line every so many casts i am clipping and tying off a foot or so of line. Last weekend was a t rig weekend - they wanted it swimming.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll try this: Envision the speed clip as a big assed knot...needed to attach the O ring equipped with a leader...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46