Prime rib ?

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old lady got a prime rib, bone in, 4.70lbs. She wants me to cook it so she don't screw it up." Oven cooking". So with my great wisdom I turn to you guys on how to cook it. Simplest way possible please. Thanks in advance! and merry christmas

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cook outdoors, preferably over a charcoal fire. If you're going oven style, the method below works for my pops every New Year

-Take meat out of fridge 4 hours before go time. Keep away from dogs
-Preheat oven to 500
-Combine 1 stick room temp unsalted butter with about a tbsp of cracked black pepper
-Rub entire roast with butter mixture
-Cover liberally with salt, preferably kosher
-Put roast in oven for 20 minutes (multiply the exact weight of the roast by 5. Round the resulting number to the nearest whole number. The rib is cooked at 500 degrees F for exactly that many minutes)
-Turn off heat, let roast sit in oven for two hours (DO NOT OPEN DOOR)
-Take out after 2 hours. Rest 30 minutes. Slice and feast.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rub roast with olive oil, then generously rub with Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Rosemary, and Garlic powder. Roast in oven (uncovered) at 425 for 15 minutes, then turn oven down to 300. Pull roast out when internal temp is 125 and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Roast is still cooking internally when resting, so when you cut it, it will be perfect medium rare in the middle. Same seasoning works really well on indirect heat and smoke on the grill, but hook in a digital thermometer and make sure not to overcook, it needs to come off at 125.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
PERFECT PRIME RIB EVERYTIME
prime rib roast with or without bone (any size)
bottom round center cut

Preheat oven to 550°F degrees.Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.
Roast at 550°F at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.
Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.
At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect everytime.
Works the same with Roast beef. The next time you want an easy hands-off, tender and juicy roast, try this recipe - you won't be disappointed!

I have used this method and it fricken works awesome. All we did was a sea salt and black pepper rub, but i'd imagine any rub that you want would work with it. I'm actually making a couple for christmas as well, one will be made with a salt, pepper and garlic rubbed on it and the other will be made with tatonka dust on it.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for the input. so perty much I just need to do the math of how long to cook, before I get to the bottom of the yeti

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for the input. so perty much I just need to do the math of how long to cook, before I get to the bottom of the yeti

Get yourself a remote meat thermometer and you don't have to do any math just watch for 125ish to pop up on the screen, pull the meat, tent it for 10-15min under tinfoil, slice and enjoy.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotta agree with outdoor grillin,indirect over coals,add pecan wood chunks flavor or like mild wood as desired.And don't forget to dry rub the beech either,rosemary,garlic.kosher salt,pepper...its all good.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/step-by-step-food-lab-reverse-sear-prime-rib.html

I used to sear first. but, the above link turns things on its head. but, it makes perfect sense. I will never go back to the searing first method. doing it low and slow first ensures you don't have a well done ring the outside and red in the middle. the other thing it allows a fella to do is hold the temp right at 125-130 for a while to insure you get the desired tenderness associated with medium rare. you need to pay close attention to the meat thermometer and the oven temp. or just pull it right about 125-130. but, it does wonders. I will then let it rest tented for almost an hour before putting it back in for the final sear right before serving. while its resting, you can prep the aus jus and the rest of the fixings. everything can be served piping hot together then. one thing of note though using the reverse sear method... when your oven is only at say 175-225 before you pull it to rest, the temp doesn't rise much during the resting phase. so, keep that in mind when you pull it. you want to pull it only about 5 degrees below desired doneness cause the temp won't got up much more than that whilst its resting.

I'm doing another on Christmas eve and beef tenderloin on Christmas day.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot about carry-over cooking with my post. Sorry. Agree with above 125 suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

PERFECT PRIME RIB EVERYTIME
prime rib roast with or without bone (any size)
bottom round center cut

Preheat oven to 550°F degrees.Make a rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder and apply to meat. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan fat side up.
Roast at 550°F at 5 minutes per pound for RARE, or 6 minutes per pound for MEDIUM and 7 minutes per pound for WELL DONE.
Turn off oven at the end of cooking time and DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS.
At the end of the 2 hours, remove meat from oven to slice; it comes out perfect everytime.
Works the same with Roast beef. The next time you want an easy hands-off, tender and juicy roast, try this recipe - you won't be disappointed!
I have used this method and it fricken works awesome. All we did was a sea salt and black pepper rub, but i'd imagine any rub that you want would work with it. I'm actually making a couple for christmas as well, one will be made with a salt, pepper and garlic rubbed on it and the other will be made with tatonka dust on it.

This is most similar to how I cook a steak in cast iron. And I retract my suggestion after reading this one. Do you let the meat come to room temp or put it in cold?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/step-by-step-food-lab-reverse-sear-prime-rib.html

I used to sear first. but, the above link turns things on its head. but, it makes perfect sense. I will never go back to the searing first method. doing it low and slow first ensures you don't have a well done ring the outside and red in the middle. the other thing it allows a fella to do is hold the temp right at 125-130 for a while to insure you get the desired tenderness associated with medium rare. you need to pay close attention to the meat thermometer and the oven temp. or just pull it right about 125-130. but, it does wonders. I will then let it rest tented for almost an hour before putting it back in for the final sear right before serving. while its resting, you can prep the aus jus and the rest of the fixings. everything can be served piping hot together then. one thing of note though using the reverse sear method... when your oven is only at say 175-225 before you pull it to rest, the temp doesn't rise much during the resting phase. so, keep that in mind when you pull it. you want to pull it only about 5 degrees below desired doneness cause the temp won't got up much more than that whilst its resting.

I somehow skipped over your post E and now feel A BIT validated. I was still WAY too hot with the internal temp.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Coals or broiler/oven, the above link is THE way. There is NOTHING wrong with seasoning 3-5 days ahead of time, in fact, I consider 3 days to be BARE minimum.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question still lingers: Room temp or cold?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Room temp will provide a more tender end product IMO. Fridge cold requires a longer rest.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to work at a steakhouse. This is important:

There will inevitably be a woman at the table who can't stand the sight of properly prepared meat. Whether that woman is your wife or not, your wife will insist you cook the shit out of that roast. RESIST COOKING TO INTERNAL TEMP ABOVE 125. Instead, make a pan of hot au jus on the stove top. If any of your diners want their meat above med rare, throw their cut in that pan of au jus for 30 to 90 seconds. It'll cook up nice and quick without drying out or getting too chewy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Room temp will provide a more tender end product IMO. Fridge cold requires a longer rest.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

There will inevitably be a woman at the table who can't stand the sight of properly prepared meat. Whether that woman is your wife or not, your wife will insist you cook the shit out of that roast. RESIST COOKING TO INTERNAL TEMP ABOVE 125. Instead, make a pan of hot au jus on the stove top. If any of your diners want their meat above med rare, throw their cut in that pan of au jus for 30 to 90 seconds. It'll cook up nice and quick without drying out or getting too chewy.

That sounds good sailor. I love the sauce.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have a pre-heated Foreman grill @ the ready when I slice into PR. Anyone who's looking for more doneness gets Foreman grill marks the the appropriate amount of time.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have lightly oiled/salted cast iron at the ready.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let the roast settle to room temp or at least close to room temp before I cook it. I'm doing a 9# roast thuis year and will probably allow about 4 hours for the meat to settle to room temp. Also, I second the hot pan of a jus to further cook a slice for those that don't like medium rare.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56