Question of Devils Lake elevation pits farming versus fishing

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.grandforksherald.com/new...ls-lake-elevation-pits-farming-versus-fishing
Stabilization dream:
While the 23-year wave of changing landscapes has been an economic boon to the region's recreation industry, it's been a bust for farmers and ranchers who have lost thousands of acres of productive land to the spreading lake. And the constantly evolving lake has virtually everybody wondering whether there ever will be something called normal in the Devils Lake Basin.
Billions invested, lost: Federal, state and local governments have spent an estimated $1.5 billion to mitigate the flood damage, including raising roads and bridges, fortifying and extending levees, relocating families and portions of communities, as the lake has risen and spread out over the landscape. Even with the lake level now falling, direct and indirect agricultural economy losses have surpassed $1 billion since 2011.
Farming in water:"If you go up north, you already see a lot of dead fish that are trapped, big northerns that got trapped," Webster said. "There's a spot on our land where the lake went down far enough that the road became isolated. Then I suppose the water froze deep enough to where the northerns just froze and died in there. I don't know how many areas there are like that, fields, areas where they got trapped and just died. But there are a lot of them."
Making it work: He advocates rerouting the proposed Red River Valley Water Supply Project, which would deliver Missouri River water by buried pipeline from the McClusky Canal to Lake Ashtabula, to run through Devils Lake before emptying into the Sheyenne—just like the original Garrison Diversion project that never was completed.
040416.n.gfh_.lakelevels3%20copy.jpg

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In reply to making it work: You guys can do your hoping and praying for water just like everybody on the western half of the state. We shouldn't have to share, mostly because of all those bastard southern states who already think they need all the water.

I should add, Devils Lake is a true lake, always has been, always SHOULD be - not a reservoir. You work with what Mother Nature gives you.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
deliver Missouri River water by buried pipeline from the McClusky Canal to Lake Ashtabula, to run through Devils Lake before emptying into the Sheyenne—just like the original Garrison Diversion project that never was completed.

Is it poorly written or am I not understanding ? Ash is over 200' lower than DL.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was to go from the McClusky canal through Devils Lake than the sheyenne through Ashtabula than to Fargo

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In reply to making it work: You guys can do your hoping and praying for water just like everybody on the western half of the state. We shouldn't have to share, mostly because of all those bastard southern states who already think they need all the water.

I should add, Devils Lake is a true lake, always has been, always SHOULD be - not a reservoir. You work with what Mother Nature gives you.

I agree that Devils Lake needs to take care of themselves and it won't hurt my feelings if the lake drops another 5' or more because fishing will only get better for shore fisherman. That way all the berms that are underwater now will be able to fished on no more rocks.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only way that would happen is if someone brought them in a minnow bucket. NDGF use a drip system along channels that feed into Devils Lake. Now zebra mussels would cause havoc on Devils Lake because of all that rip rap.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drove by the boat launch adjacent to the stromme addition it probably won't effect this year but if the lake goes down another 3 feet or so it is going to be difficult to launch your boat.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
at what elevation do they shut the pumps off? What is their goal for a desired elevation to keep sportsman and land owners happy?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the tree bite is going to be awesome this year!

Just curious why you think this? I usually end up jigging the bridges spring and fall and pulling spinners all summer. Never really had much luck slipping in the trees. Sounds like a nice way to spend an evening with the kids if I can actually find some fish doing this. Do you just pick any patch of flooded timber and keep moving till you find them?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
1446 is when they turn off the pumps, 1445 is where Stump and Devils Lake are at the same elevations.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was shocked at the cost of running the pumps for a month, I heard is was close to 1/2 a mill a month.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
pumping water into DL --- I don't think we will ever see that. Pipe dream for a resort owner and that is about it. This summer could be a crap shoot -- I don't know if anybody can accurately predict it. One wrong move of the jet and you could get blasted with water. Fall looks to be wet and cold and winter doesn't look much better. I don't think DL is dry yet. Bulk of what I really remember when the lake was going up is still under water.

Lunker those east ramps all worked when the water was lower. They should be good.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just have a great big pro/am tournament and they will figure out a way how we can get boats into pelican and other backwaters. ;)
Did anything ever become of the road that was dug out last year ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88