Devils Lake Level Dilemma

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I can already see a couple farmers hiring him to guide a fishing trip and he somehow falls over the side of the boat with an anchor tied to his ankles.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you ever go to think that maybe another reason DL boomed was due to the farm economy going on a once in a 30 year run from 2007-2013? Devils Lake is a central place of commerce for many smaller ag based towns, the entire area received a very large lift when the farm economy flourished. Also as a resident of Devils Lake, when the big construction boom was going on to finish off the permanent flood protection levies, this also spurred major economic impact. I would tend to argue the local multi year Ag boom did WAY more to spur economic development than the tourism industry did. Don't get me wrong, tourism is also a great boon for the community but this lake will never be stabilized, its a natural up and down lake. Unless a major man made project corrects it.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did you ever go to think that maybe another reason DL boomed was due to the farm economy going on a once in a 30 year run from 2007-2013? Devils Lake is a central place of commerce for many smaller ag based towns, the entire area received a very large lift when the farm economy flourished. Also as a resident of Devils Lake, when the big construction boom was going on to finish off the permanent flood protection levies, this also spurred major economic impact. I would tend to argue the local multi year Ag boom did WAY more to spur economic development than the tourism industry did. Don't get me wrong, tourism is also a great boon for the community but this lake will never be stabilized, its a natural up and down lake. Unless a major man made project corrects it.
True, that also contributed to the boon, but my point is that happened all while this ag land was being flooded. Now the region has a second important industry that they can’t afford to lose. Putting all their eggs in one basket (ag) is not a good idea.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think tourism has already declined. After June the interest subsides and u take a year like this when may was still winter gets awful short season. I predict the water to go up.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Except DL isn't a one-trick pony. Tourism jumps in May/June. Then some more during the summer. Fall comes around and there's a rush of hunters again. Full up through September, October and early November. Couple lazy months until ice forms and then the ice fishing season kicks off.

I really don't think we can say "AG is the reason DL is so big" or "tourism is the reason DL is so big." Truth is they both played a huge part. If DL didn't turn into a fishing mecca, I highly doubt AG would have kept it going like it is today. And just having a good fishing spot can't keep a town churning 12 months out of the year.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drain on stump lake instead of a dam and it would cost nothing to drain, but again for some reason they were not allow to do that but then allow to pump with the same end results from what was consider cleaner water. Must of been the electric coop fingers in that one.
Same with not allowing two different sources of water mixing, flooding Valley City, Lisbon ect and then flowing to Canada.

I believe at one time the Missouri flow was along the ND/Canadian border, no/yes? Maybe at one time did the flow go into the river to Fargo back in the old days?

Politics enters into all. Then I wore my America is Great Again hat to devils run. Man there is a bunch of democrats in DL that took exception to that and felt the need to let me know. Thought for a second to take hat off but felt sorry for the miss guilded people and kept in on (that was after a few Old Mills).

Yes the water has benefit Devils Lake but at a cost to some. I feel for those who lost land to the water. Life is never fair. db

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the cycling of water depths is what keeps things vibrant with regard to productivity and natural reproduction

submerged grass and associated veg feeds the rotifers etc, the food chain takes it from there

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drain on stump lake instead of a dam and it would cost nothing to drain, but again for some reason they were not allow to do that but then allow to pump with the same end results from what was consider cleaner water. Must of been the electric coop fingers in that one.
Same with not allowing two different sources of water mixing, flooding Valley City, Lisbon ect and then flowing to Canada.

I believe at one time the Missouri flow was along the ND/Canadian border, no/yes? Maybe at one time did the flow go into the river to Fargo back in the old days?

Politics enters into all. Then I wore my America is Great Again hat to devils run. Man there is a bunch of democrats in DL that took exception to that and felt the need to let me know. Thought for a second to take hat off but felt sorry for the miss guilded people and kept in on (that was after a few Old Mills).

Yes the water has benefit Devils Lake but at a cost to some. I feel for those who lost land to the water. Life is never fair. db

Almost, but it was pre-Red River of the North existence when the Missouri River turned north just west of Williston and went on up into Canada. The glaciers are what changed the path of the Missouri into a southern draining river. They kind of reset many of our geologic features.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Stump lake is very salty so Canada and the towns on the Red didn’t want the lesser quality water dumping into the sheyenne River. That’s why they pump from devils lake instead because they were able to get that approved by the other parties involved.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Same here wore my north Dakota for trump hat one guy asked me has anyone asked you why you voted for trump? I told him I won it and I'm part native so I have to piss off both side of my family.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stump lake is very salty so Canada and the towns on the Red didn’t want the lesser quality water dumping into the sheyenne River. That’s why they pump from devils lake instead because they were able to get that approved by the other parties involved.

They legally couldn’t have salty Stump water dump in because potable water has to be <500 ppm in salinity. Stump is over 5000 ppm. Even with dilution, the Sheyenne River water folk would deal with too much for potability.

I think overheard Dean Nelson or Nean Delson or something.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Salt yes (still not enough to keep me a float), but its that stuff that looks like it comes from outer space by mid summer that makes one wonder why one camps next to it let alone fish in it or swim in it, fish seem to survive and I think they are fresh water fish. Should of put a dam on the west side of stump lake and left that body of water dry.
But if you drain it long enough and water from DL flows in i would think in time the water would be the same as where they now pump. no/yes? Would make stump lake a nicer lake and as far as the red river goes, in my days there was enough sewage pump from Moorhead/Fargo houses on the river as it was. Not sure if that has been corrected or not. db

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Dean is correct that if you want to find out how all you have to do is search for it
https://www.usbr.gov/projects/index.php?id=457
Screenshot_20190604-202950_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190604-202933_Chrome.jpg
The plan was to allow farmers to drain the thousands of small wetlands north of devils lake back in the 60s to make more suitable farmland. When you drain pot holes you also drain the water table which helps to prevent alkali spots. The channel A was supposed to help with getting rid of the high salinity levels in the water runoffs from the spring that deposits all that salt into the devils lake basin. If you look at all the old photos of lake Alice it was riddled with holding ponds for irrigation. Lake Irvine was was actually irrigated with pumps from the lake alice holding ponds.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here wore my north Dakota for trump hat one guy asked me has anyone asked you why you voted for trump? I told him I won it and I'm part native so I have to piss off both side of my family.

My god, I just can't get away from them.. Rugby might not only be the center of North America but the prime meridian of ND IQ as well..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84