Radon gas

SlickTrick125

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in NW Bismarck and my current house was well below the minimum recommendation when it was tested four years ago when we moved in. We moved from a house a block away that was tested at I believe 12 or 14 which is pretty high. I got stuck paying for the mitigation system for the buyer when we sold cause I hadn't had it checked before that. That's why Ill always have it checked before buying a place now. I literally live about 150 yards as the crow fly's from my old house and I cant believe the difference in radon levels. Although my current house has a walkout basement and the other house was a full. I was also told that sunlight dissolves the radon, weather or not that's true I'm not sure.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
slicktrick,

Sunlight does not "dissolve" radon.

Radon is one of the products of radioactive decay from both uranium and thorium. It is also a noble gas which means it doesn't really like to react with much else. Radon is itself radioactive as it emits alpha radiation. Alpha waves are short waves that you have to pretty much be in contact with for them to harm you, certainly less than a couple centimeters. That's why it's a lung cancer risk.

The basic formula for getting radon in your home goes something like this.
1. Build your house over sedimentary rocks, or glacial till derived from sedimentary rocks.
2. Radioactive decay of the uranium produces radon, a gas.
3. Radon gas is fairly soluble in water, so it travels with the water pretty well but is always susceptible to degassing out of the water if there's a lowering of pressure.
4. The radon gas moves up through natural cracks, pore space, animal burrows, etc in the ground until it reaches your basement. Concrete is not very air tight in the first place, so it tends to easily find its way through concrete and into your home's lower level. And that's not necessarily a basement.
5. Easiest way to lower radon levels is to bring in more fresh air. Best way to lower radon levels is to have a collection system of some kind that puts a very slight vacuum on the soil under your basement and vents it outside. Often there are small electric fans inline with a pvc pipe in a home's utility room. Other things a person can do is seal up the sump pump, etc.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Doctor told me no more prostrate test at my age of 71 cause my life span is only 15 years more so what the hell its just me and the wife.

I plan 9 more tell the nursing home comes into my life so I plan to retire in four months as should have enough funds to make it to 80 and her 77. However she plans on longer so I told her she needs to get more monies in that box at home (or have a long talk with one of our kids). After that the state I am sure has enough funds to take care of the two of us. If not then not. Can one imagine the vote on a measure about killing one off after they run out of funds. I hope me and wife can still vote then. db

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I literally just bought a test kit and sent it in about a week ago. Was pretty easy to do. Haven't gotten the results back yet but I will post them once I get them.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
5a2db92bf1e00.image.jpg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well now....I live in Casselton and me thinks a free test from the health department is well worth the monies I've paid in to fund them. Our basement is uninhabited, but I wouldn't want a rabid dog living downstairs either.....

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to ask. Is this really a big concern or is it a industry trying to scare people? If this is such an issue why hasn't this been covered by main news outlets or the health departments been notifying people for decades? How many deaths or illnesses be directly traced back to radon exposure? Where is the health statistics by doctors and trusted agencies? If it is as bad as some claim we should have people dropping dead all over ND. There is a lot of houses in ND with full basements that are not so called vented for radon.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a geologist with no medical background, but a fair bit of understanding of radiation from my time in the Corps, all I can say is that YES, this is that big of a deal. The link to lung cancer is not trivial, I think the article about the Casselton lady suggested around 15,000-20,000 lung cancer cases are attributed to radon each year.

Now, the question as to why bankers and professional organizations that you'd think should be looking out for you, the buyer (realtors, etc) is because they view a defect to a home as a negative. Think about it, you have commissioned people hoping to help you either buy or sell a home. For them the home's sale price, and just the fact if the home is saleable or needs some kind of work, plays into their business. Just imagine how many older homes in ND would fail a radon test if it were requested. That delay equals a lower sale price since the buyer won't fork out as much for a home that he's going to have to put up to a few thousand into to lower the radon. So that's some lost commission (arguably not much though), but even more importantly...once the radon levels are known, you will have to disclose that. And this could make selling a tougher prospect. More effort on the realtors behalf.

The people that build homes aren't necessarily interested in the future homeowner's health either. I know a goofy couple who built in the Bismarck area a number of years ago that wanted a radon system installed during the build. The contractor basically scoffed at them but eventually installed as requested for about $1200 (if memory serves correctly).

I have to ask. Is this really a big concern or is it a industry trying to scare people? If this is such an issue why hasn't this been covered by main news outlets or the health departments been notifying people for decades? How many deaths or illnesses be directly traced back to radon exposure? Where is the health statistics by doctors and trusted agencies? If it is as bad as some claim we should have people dropping dead all over ND. There is a lot of houses in ND with full basements that are not so called vented for radon.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone recommend a contractor and get me close on possible cost???

Sorry, don't know any contractors but the handful of retrofits I have heard of cost anywhere from about $800 up to $3500. It all depends on how invasive they have to get and the layout of your basement is a big consideration. Basically, they will come in and drill holes in "hidden" areas of your basement's concrete floor. Insert a piece of pvc pipe that is glued/silicone into the hole, plumb those pipes together and run them over to your utility room or closet where an inline fan is installed to the pipe, and vent it outside.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what the liability is for a landlord? I imagine more than a few renters will be looking into radon testing.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member

When I built my home in 2013, I did quite a bit of research on multiple things. One of those things was Radiant in floor heat. I also did all of the flatwork concrete myself. Throughout my research, the conclusion I came to about radon was that ND was, as usual, about 10 years behind. Most other states have been addressing radon from the beginning by installing a vapor barrier under the concrete, plus installing the mitigation systems right away.

Also, If you are looking to add a mitigation system and you have drain tile around your foundation that is connected to a sump pit, you can get kits at home improvement stores that come with a cover that seals the pit and has proper size fittings to attach a fan that vents outside. A family member of mine has a home inspection company and tests for radon regularly and has seen many situations that were cured with this type of a system.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...3972-c-8672.htm?tid=516489776966537240&ipos=1

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you get your test kit?

Amazon. Where else?!?!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N83E/?tag=nodakangler10-20

- - - Updated - - -

The EPA says 21,000+ people die every year from lung cancer due to radon. 2,900 of them have never smoked. That would mean 18,100 of them that died from radon also smoked which I don't know how they know if it was smoking or radon that killed them but anyways.... A quick google search will bring up plenty of stuff.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I got my test results back. Whatever the unit measurement was, it tested at a 3.8. Between 2 and 4, it is recommended that you consider fixing your home. Anything above 4 and they say you should definitely get it fixed. They gave me a phone number for a ND Radon contact and so I'll give them a call and see what they say. Sounds like we should probably have something done.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody building a new home needs to contract with your builder to use Form-A-Drain or a similar product on both sides of the footing. They together and empty into your sump pit. On the outside you install a T and come off of that with 4" pvc and up out of the ground and attach a couple 90's to allow the radon to escape. Costs are trivial. Builder should be using form-a-drain already but many don't.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just finished installing my radon mitigation system

easy peasy since all I had to do is cover/seal my sump and add a fan and 3” pipe

saved maybe $1200 or so

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 140
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55