Rain

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I managed to get most of the seeds in the ground before the rain. With our subsoil moisture everything should grow.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
1716562008907.png

1716561964900.png

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "city" hatches of the local Canada geese appear to be shitty this year. Many breeding pairs without goslings and most only have 3-4. They'll usually at least try another nest but I haven't seen that this year either. I found it strange as the environment/weather has been fairly "average" this year.

Just an observation from an uneducated and purely recreational ornithologist.
I agree with Jiff --- same at the lakes -- two little shitters maybe three is what i have seen. i had some mallards nesting close too and they didnt have any

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seeing 2 or 3 is normal for our area every year. We are surrounded by woods and predators and they raid the nests. I guess a guy could put up nesting platforms but we have more than enough as it is .

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day my Mom used to raise a lot of geese and chickens.
I can still remember her saying that when we had bad thunder storms the thundering would kill some of the little ones still inside the eggs. If the adult was on them at the time of the thundering it didn't bother the eggs, but if they were not covered by the goose, some or all would die in the shell.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen 6-8 with most of the pairs down here. I think the ducks are just starting to hatch. My drive around this morning i saw alot of pairs and they had lots of goslings i cant wait for September

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day my Mom used to raise a lot of geese and chickens.
I can still remember her saying that when we had bad thunder storms the thundering would kill some of the little ones still inside the eggs. If the adult was on them at the time of the thundering it didn't bother the eggs, but if they were not covered by the goose, some or all would die in the shell.

Interesting, I'd never heard of that before now.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks to be fairly normal clutch sizes around Bismarck from what I can tell. 5-7 chicks. Noticed a few pairs with goslings on may 8th this year which seemed a bit earlier than most springs.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 1/2 inch so far. Another cold and rainy Memorial Day weekend. I've camped more MM weekends in my life than I didn't. Many in a tent by the water, and I'm glad I'm not this weekend.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got water standing in my garden where its never happened before. LB
well it's going to be a muddy mess Saturday working cattle. Neighbor's corral has a low spot that is soft on a dry year, I swear you could lay 5ft of rock on top of it and it would all sink to nothing. Pasture grass is looking real good for them to start out.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
well it's going to be a muddy mess Saturday working cattle. Neighbor's corral has a low spot that is soft on a dry year, I swear you could lay 5ft of rock on top of it and it would all sink to nothing. Pasture grass is looking real good for them to start out.
I'm going to have the same problem. Wanted to start hauling pairs out, but the alleyway and pens are going to be a muddy mess. They'd just dried up from the last rains. The pens where most action happens I filled in with gravel a few years ago. Should have just poured concrete back then like i wanted to.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
1.25 South of Garrison as of 7:30 this morning. Water running in the ditches, wish it would have held that pace the rest of the day, but happy to have gotten what we have.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They always have to clear dust out of the horns on the sirens. they cant wait to blow em.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The "city" hatches of the local Canada geese appear to be shitty this year. Many breeding pairs without goslings and most only have 3-4. They'll usually at least try another nest but I haven't seen that this year either. I found it strange as the environment/weather has been fairly "average" this year.

Just an observation from an uneducated and purely recreational ornithologist.
I said the samething, I think some was out destroying nests. Over in SE Moorhead there were breeding pairs all over. And I would guess that only 2 out of 10 pair had little ones. And there are none setting on eggs right now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46