Ramps open? Bismarck/Mandan area

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read here where the dock is in under the interstate bridge. I traveled south of Mandan where I found plenty of ice yet on the rifle range/Schmidt bottom ramp and only a little bit of snow/ice on the Graner/Sugarloaf boat ramp. Water was fully open at Schmidt bottom/rifle range and Graners/Sugarloaf area. Only bits and pieces of ice chunks in the flow.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fox and Hazelton are open. River relatively ice free in Bismarck but a friend told me there’s still quite a bit of ice at Hazelton

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody hear any info on whether the kimball bottoms(desert) ramp will be fixed this year? Put in calls to Burleigh parks and rec but no response back

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch out for dead cow hazards so I have heard.

Spotted 11 deceased cattle from the top of the Heskett stairwell today. They are laying up on the sandbar out in the middle of the River, upstream from the staircase. May be there for a bit unless removed or unless the water goes up. For those of you out boating and afraid what to look for, they are the black angus breed from what I can see. Most of them appear to be adult in size. May need a good pair of binoculars if you intend to go out to view them. Had the 12X50's along today. They are probably not viewable from Misty waters as these are on the Mandan side of that sandbar out in the middle of the river.

Heskett by the way is almost impossible to fish from shore there. Big chunks of ice were pushed up onto the shoreline probably on the day i was up there taking phots on Sunday. ECkroth corner is in about the same shape for shore fishing. Ice coming around that corner was forced up onto the shoreline. You can fish it, it is just going to be a muddy, hard to navigate shoreline for a bit.

Last edited:

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Fished out of Fox Island yesterday, they put the dock in that afternoon. We spotted ~10 dead cows between the ramp and 2 miles south.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone venture to the hazelton ramp recently? still lots of ice floating?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any word regarding which producer lost the cattle, or where the producer was located?

I wonder if someone's waterer froze during the Feb cold snap and a bunch of cows went to the river to drink and broke off a big chunk of ice maybe???

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
KYFR reported clark price.
but they run a lot of cows and i believe had a feed lot so where they were located and whose cattle they were??
he is a washburn area rancher

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any word regarding which producer lost the cattle, or where the producer was located?

I wonder if someone's waterer froze during the Feb cold snap and a bunch of cows went to the river to drink and broke off a big chunk of ice maybe???

I believe he is out of Hensler. We just witnessed a tractor and truck plucking dead cattle at the boat ramp at Misty Waters. They left after loading two into a big truck. A skiff type boat brought two at a time to the loader.

We went up to Heskett staircase and there are only 4 left on the sandbar, so they got 7 or so off the sandbar there. The four that are left look like the hardest ones to get. A bit farther up on the bar or some smaller sand bars out in front of the main sandbar where one or two are laying.

I'm not a farmer and won't ever claim to be. I did work on my uncle and grandpas farm since I was eight years old through high school. I've heard it said cattle don't care too much to be on ice. But they will do so in search of water.

The shore fishing there at Heskett looks a lot more possible now as some of the ice pushed up there has melted. Still lotsa ice on shore there and muddy but fishing is a go there. In fact a truck with MT plates had just pulled up and was pulling on his waders when we left.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hazelton is open as of 3.13 but no dock. Lots of boats out. Dont know if it'll be open today with the Windividual as there was still a lot of ice out a ways.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33