Remington 870 youth

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I happen to have two. One is staying at the NW Angle the other here in GF. Both are probably over 20 years old.
Just happened to be in our LGS and saw the display of youth shotguns. Picked up a new 870 checked it out and worked the action a few times. Kind of very rattled, sticky and noisy. Put it back. Went home and found mine and played with it. Was very different. Very smooth and quit. My opinion only the new one is a very poorly made. Very disappointed!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is a world of difference between the 870 Express and 870 Wingmaster. The Wingmaster is machined and Express is stamped parts. If I hold my Wingmaster straight up and hit the bolt release it will slide all the way down. That's how smooth they are. If you do the same with a Express you just hear the click and nothing moves.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a world of difference between the 870 Express and 870 Wingmaster. The Wingmaster is machined and Express is stamped parts. If I hold my Wingmaster straight up and hit the bolt release it will slide all the way down. That's how smooth they are. If you do the same with a Express you just hear the click and nothing moves.
Does the Wingmaster come in youth size???

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm kicking around an option for the girls. Got a couple youth .410 but want to get something for them to step up, I got a couple 20ga options but those are adult and LOP is a little too long. Thinking a 28ga would be kind of neat, partially because I like doing things different.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 870 express does that as well. But I'll attribute that to 15 years of being my 1 and only shotgun used from everything from trap to upland to waterfowl and a couple years of coyote hunting

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The youth stock on a Express will fit on a Wingmaster. My two oldest started on youth md Express. The next two started on Tradition SL 2100 20 ga youth md. They never short cycled one time. For a small framed youth hunter that's really good.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is true but you can't beat an express for a cheap truck gun. Mines been thru hell and back and still goes bang when needed.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter started and still shoots a pardner youth 20 ga pump it's heavier then the 870 I thought she wouldn't like it on long walks but I added a sling and she loves it she is 18 now and has a nice browning gold semi 20 ga but it just collects dust she doesn't like it.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This one was made in 1999. Cute isn't it???
20 gauge 3 inch. Never shot any 3 inch.

IMG_6277.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Probably a good choice as the hulls are mostly yellow, kick the shit out of the shooter and don't provide a square load per Queen 16. :p

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Until maybe 10yrs ago or so, I always thought the Win 1300 Youth was a better fit for smaller shooters due to the forearm being quite a bit closer to the shooter, they don't have to "reach" for it.

No doubt the Rem has the aftermarket support and orders of magnitude more numbers in the hands of shooters, I just thought the Win was an easier "fit".

^^^^Probably a good choice as the hulls are mostly yellow, kick the shit out of the shooter and don't provide a square load per Queen 16.

Nobody makes a short-stocked/youth 16. Nobody makes GOOD target loads for 16.

I'd hack-up a 28 before a 16, you can get great ammo for the 28, albeit a bit more $$ than 20's, and the available hacker-uppers are more plentiful and better overall platforms. There's never been a 16 semi-auto that'll hold a candle to a Beretta 400 or one of the Benelli offerings in 28.

Now, put the oil-funnel on your head and your nose in the corner.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Until maybe 10yrs ago or so, I always thought the Win 1300 Youth was a better fit for smaller shooters due to the forearm being quite a bit closer to the shooter, they don't have to "reach" for it.

No doubt the Rem has the aftermarket support and orders of magnitude more numbers in the hands of shooters, I just thought the Win was an easier "fit".

Nobody makes a short-stocked/youth 16. Nobody makes GOOD target loads for 16.

I'd hack-up a 28 before a 16, you can get great ammo for the 28, albeit a bit more $$ than 20's, and the available hacker-uppers are more plentiful and better overall platforms. There's never been a 16 semi-auto that'll hold a candle to a Beretta 400 or one of the Benelli offerings in 28.

Now, put the oil-funnel on your head and your nose in the corner.
Heathen!!! Roughian!!! Hooligan!!! You contribute to the abomative disrespect. I take my Copenhagen and guffaw:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 127
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 38