Removing those annoying gobblers

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes svn, granted relocation is a gamble but even of 3 survive out of 10 is a success when there are places in this country that don't have any turkeys. Destroying for the sake of wildlife management, is the same thing as what Wyoming wants to do with elk herds. Easier softer way

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Post #3/34: I typed too fast for one idiot:

I'm all about relocation. I'm also all about legally popping a couple under the bird feeder. I didn't see the word "eradication" in the article.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago, my dad decided to grow wild turkeys on his farm (1980s).
They did multiple and it seem like maybe a hundred in the trees if not more. Running wild.
After about 3-4 years enough was enough.
At first started destroying egg as he found them, but they just kept relaying more.

Not sure how as i was no longer living at home but on a trip back home there were no more turkeys. They were all gone. Later did find a turkey track one winter but no turkey.
Have not seen a turkey since. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
About two weeks ago when they talk about change my whole page changed and do not know how to get it back the way it was. Now i no longer see the politic of Biden, trump or camper. Just fine now. db

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
God I was reminded why I don't visit this site any more. There are so many stupid f'n people on here that have absolutely no foresight or interest of anything other than what interests them. Everything not of interest to them is a waste:
Unbelievable waste of $$.

This relocation/ studies thing makes me angry!!
Why the hell not do a study on turkeys? Its never been done in North Dakota. I'm interested. Many people are interested. The Game and Fish needs to manage these things and this is good information. What would you do with the money? Where do you think money should go? Is your stupid f'n interest more important than anyone else's? People like you live in the past and can't see your hand in front of your face.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I for one don't mind turkeys have alot in the yard dont hunt them, because I love to go out and call them in to hunt another outdoor activity, and yes I have farm buddies with loads in their yards and hate them I see way.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why the hell not do a study on turkeys? Its never been done in North Dakota. I'm interested.
I can provide the answer to your question about what happens to them.

Some will do very well, others won't do well at all.
It all depends on how suitable the new location is for supporting wild turkeys, and what season they're relocated.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ah hell just choot'em in the face,some beeches breed like rats,shittin all over my yard,patio...was rare to see wild turkey's just like canada geese back in the 70's, now we're up to our ears in turkey's and honkers

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny the rest of the country especially the south is on a very sharp decline and turkey numbers are in the shitter

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Funny the rest of the country especially the south is on a very sharp decline and turkey numbers are in the shitter
I usually take smaller hens in my area,8 to 10lbs...right at my feeder they make better table fare than a big ole long beard,turkey's we take in Nebraska we shoot em outof roost sittin in trees,farmers can do w/o these critters around their homested so they say

Shooting hours 1/2 before sunup,just pick out a big dark shadow sittin in a tree.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually take smaller hens in my area,8 to 10lbs...right at my feeder they make better table fare than a big ole long beard,turkey's we take in Nebraska we shoot em outof roost sittin in trees,farmers can do w/o these critters around their homested so they say

Shooting hours 1/2 before sunup,just pick out a big dark shadow sittin in a tree.
Nebraska has cut nr turkey license as the population has went way down. They are already sold out license for 2024. Turkey numbers in Sodak are not good. Used to see a bunch now lucky to see hardly any

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the issue with most states is the same issue with other wildlife numbers and that unfortunately isn't gonna be an easy fix and possibly the reason why some states would rather exterminate large numbers then find other areas to populate. It's too bad actually that most of our country's land that isn't owned by the government has been put into raising crops for the whole world.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
God I was reminded why I don't visit this site any more. There are so many stupid f'n people on here that have absolutely no foresight or interest of anything other than what interests them. Everything not of interest to them is a waste:

Why the hell not do a study on turkeys? Its never been done in North Dakota. I'm interested. Many people are interested. The Game and Fish needs to manage these things and this is good information. What would you do with the money? Where do you think money should go? Is your stupid f'n interest more important than anyone else's? People like you live in the past and can't see your hand in front of your face.
Rest easy knowing that the know it alls on this site are not indicative of the actual sporting population.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What happen to them?
For my dad and the 100 he grew i got a pretty good idea what happen to them. But cannot say for sure. db

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could care less about what happens to them
Several years ago G&F netted quite a few 150 yards from my home. I was told that about 75 or so. I wasn’t there so I don’t know for certain but it really helped. They shit all over and tear up sod. Plus break tree limbs.
Good riddance. They are not that tasty.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s funny as shit is they use bait to attract the turkey into a small space and shoot a net over them. I once asked the GF is they clean up or remove any of the leftover bait that remains as we do not want deer to congregate and spread CWD…. I said as long as it’s in the name of a study or the GF does it I assume diseases won’t be spread…. I’m still waiting for a response

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nebraska has cut nr turkey license as the population has went way down. They are already sold out license for 2024. Turkey numbers in Sodak are not good. Used to see a bunch now lucky to see hardly any
We get tags from land owner,south central nebraska along the Platt river from grand island to kearny healthy population last fall,we also hunt the sandhills near valentine neb,haven't seen turkey's in this area in many years,

Plenty of grouse and pheasants tho,25k to hunt iffin you ever get a chance to check it out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So deer tear the hell out of ranchers hay should we get rid of all them?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
So deer tear the hell out of ranchers hay should we get rid of all .
No. Just throw a few 100,000 $ out to " study" why.
He'll, can I get a grant to study why, when certain years the Snowy Owls invade us and subsequently the vulnerable Hungarian partridge numbers nose dive.?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see ndgf is going to increase tags for gobblers for spring 24 season, also turkey jerky is way better then loosy goosy jerky.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84