Removing those annoying gobblers

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trap a shitton of them and sell them to the Hills. They're not tame vermin to us.

On a tangent: I've lived and enjoyed the outdoors in four whole states. Some of you may cringe but North Dakota has the by far; the best, easily understood regs (don't agree with all). Before you snort in derision, read through this shit:

https://wvdnr.gov/hunting/hunting-regulations/

grantfurness

On a tangent: I've lived and enjoyed the outdoors in four whole states. Some of you may cringe but North Dakota has the by far; the best, easily understood regs (don't agree with all). Before you snort in derision, read through this shit:

https://wvdnr.gov/hunting/hunting-regulations/
True story. I used to live in Washington. Their fishing regs are 150 some pages long & you almost need to bring a lawyer fishing with you because they’re hard to understand & the wardens are all about tickets. The big game regs are 130-140 pages long, spring turkey is another pamphlet, fall turkey regs are someplace else & there’s another book for game birds & small game that’s another 50 pages. It’s nice in North Dakota

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 years ago, it was kinda cool to see them.
Now they are a pest.
Spending even a dollar on any study is stupid.
They go where there is food/cover.
What's more to learn?

Course, if I was a biologist making a living, I could construe plenty of reasons why "said" studies are important.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe we should comission a study to collar a thousand cats from the humane society and toss them into the badlands to see what happens to them in the interest of determining the wildlife impact of house cats being dropped off in the country by urban dwellers. Then propose a similar study concerning dogs and their impacts on wildlife populations and interactions with the landscape. I'll bring the popcorn.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
True story. I used to live in Washington. Their fishing regs are 150 some pages long & you almost need to bring a lawyer fishing with you because they’re hard to understand & the wardens are all about tickets. The big game regs are 130-140 pages long, spring turkey is another pamphlet, fall turkey regs are someplace else & there’s another book for game birds & small game that’s another 50 pages. It’s nice in North Dakota
Hell yes it is.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a fan of Turkeys. Many years ago they, NDGF planted them up in a few areas of Pembina County that was where the Ruffed Grouse were. Now there are lots of Turkeys and very few Grouse. My question to the NDGF. "Were the Turkeys native to this area?" Answer "We are not sure, but this seems like a good place for them."
Been some discussion that the turkeys destroy RG eggs in the spring. Similar concern in NE Minnesota.
If they weren't here in PC
originally why do we need/want them now? Someone said just another expansion of the NDGF. I can't remember who. 🤣 ...popcorn...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Ruff population is extremely cyclic. I've never heard of turkey destroying nests but not calling bullshit. A problem in WV is beech trees never seem to hit anymore and wild cherry forests all seem old growth. My retarded speculation is birds get imprinted on food sources like koala bears. Koalas in zoos eat a variety of vegetation.

In the below book Burt Spiller is featured in the "upland portion". In the early days of the last century he lamented his old New England apple orchard honey holes went dry seemingly as 'Ruff had lost his taste for them.

Imagine the flavor of ruff breasts on a steady diet of apples and beech nuts...(beech nuts taste good).

Fun Fact: In the Pilgrim days ruffed grouse were known as "fool's hens" as they could be chased down and killed with a stick. Similar lore is available for the eastern wild turkey: Flyers survived and passed on this gene.

Again; (perhaps retard speculation from the armchair): A recessive gene has now assumed dominance with ND wild turkey. It's probably time to consider them a "pellet gun" pest and begin relocation efforts to the Appalachians.

I promise if I lived in Minot proper I'd have a smoker, slicer and a fridge full of lunch meat. All I would need is a privacy fence, sunflower seeds and the location of Democrat neighbors. I'd maybe get them on board with a couple vac pacs and presenting myself as a penis equipped "woman".

1677471316173.png

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^Ruff population is extremely cyclic. I've never heard of turkey destroying nests but not calling bullshit. A problem in WV is beech trees never seem to hit anymore and wild cherry forests all seem old growth. My retarded speculation is birds get imprinted on food sources like koala bears. Koalas in zoos eat a variety of vegetation.

In the below book Burt Spiller is featured in the "upland portion". In the early days of the last century he lamented his old New England apple orchard honey holes went dry seemingly as 'Ruff had lost his taste for them.

Imagine the flavor of ruff breasts on a steady diet of apples and beech nuts...(beech nuts taste good).

Fun Fact: In the Pilgrim days ruffed grouse were known as "fool's hens" as they could be chased down and killed with a stick. Similar lore is available for the eastern wild turkey: Flyers survived and passed on this gene.

Again; (perhaps retard speculation from the armchair): A recessive gene has now assumed dominance with ND wild turkey. It's probably time to consider them a "pellet gun" pest and begin relocation efforts to the Appalachians.

I promise if I lived in Minot proper I'd have a smoker, slicer and a fridge full of lunch meat. All I would need is a privacy fence, sunflower seeds and the location of Democrat neighbors. I'd maybe get them on board with a couple vac pacs and presenting myself as a penis equipped "woman".

1677471316173.png
This may be your most coherent post ever.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unbelievable waste of $$.

This relocation/ studies thing makes me angry!!
But it's NDGF's mandate to "manage the resource"!!! Therefore, tracking what happens to a bunch of big stupid birds that crap all over the place after (expensively) relocating them is absolutely crucial to their mission!

Without this crucial information we'd never know what happened to these nuisance animals after they've been located to a place that their nuisance is lessened.

I side with the experts on this.

Trust the science.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years we had a huge population of turkeys south of Bismarck. In my yard. The neighbor was feeding them. I'm not sure how many but they were totally out of control. The ground was solid tracks.
One day I noticed that there were only a few turkeys hanging around. I was told that G&F had been down and netted about 75. I have no idea where they ended up but I was quite pleased to see the worthless birds gone. If it was a study it was a great idea!!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have these damnable birds in my yard. Last spring they had a really good hatch and they were plentiful. They do nothing but shit all over the yard so my grandkids can't play in the yard without getting full of stinky turkey shit. They also get into my apple trees and drop apples all over. I've given anyone who asks, permission to hunt,but it's not even remotely a deterrent. If they are the same or worse this spring, I will have to start to relocate them!

Fish On!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drop them at Fort KDM. He knows good management practices. (y)
Sure do! I think I can "manage" to get them into a "better" place where they won't bother anyone and when they come out again......EVERYONE will be glad to see them......and the potatoes.....and the salads....and......and....and....

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely a waste of money. This site alone is full of brilliant ecologists who already know everything… 😎

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84