Drayton dam is no more

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
8 million dollars

unbelievable
Can't hardly build a roundabout for under 1 million, and roundabout construction doesn't require running excavators in a half frozen river in March.

Don't think it's a bad thing to see weirs or low head dams removed. Lots of sediment issues and problems for fish.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ripping out of these dams for safety is such a joke!!! Also the fish migration excuse is also a joke, maybe not on the Red, but when they ripped out Kathryn for the sake of fish travel that was a farce! Do they plan on taking out Baldhill Dam too then, for the sake of fish migration? Engineering firms start raising a fuss over safety and then get contracts to rip them out. In Draytons case it sounds like to the tune of the number 8 with a bunch of zeros. These areas provide tremendous fishing opportunities for young and old. These rock riffles that they replace the dams with will not and do not congregate fish like a dam does.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
The ripping out of these dams for safety is such a joke!!! Also the fish migration excuse is also a joke, maybe not on the Red, but when they ripped out Kathryn for the sake of fish travel that was a farce! Do they plan on taking out Baldhill Dam too then, for the sake of fish migration? Engineering firms start raising a fuss over safety and then get contracts to rip them out. In Draytons case it sounds like to the tune of the number 8 with a bunch of zeros. These areas provide tremendous fishing opportunities for young and old. These rock riffles that they replace the dams with will not and do not congregate fish like a dam does.
Doesn't that prove the point for fish migration?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fish will just congregate at the next dam upstream. I really don’t see the issue with removing it. Fish still congregate at the rock dam in grand forks.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Red has high water way over all dams many days out of the year. Fish migration is only impeded when water is low. The fish aren’t going up and over the rock dams during low water either. They’d need to act like a migrating Alaskan salmon.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
These dams have had a target on their head since the day they were made and designed. For many reasons. The replacements pretty much have same # of pros w less cons. Just my opinion and that's all I am gonna say bout that.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It effects me zero either way. I do like a north flowing river though

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never said they didn't promote fish migration by removing the dam. Not exactly increasing good fishing opportunity by ripping it out . In some cases there is another dam just upstream so its pointless. Sounds like the water gets higher than this dam most every year, so ample time for migration.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on the fish species from what I've read in the past. Carp like to swim at the surface and cruise right on past these obstacles. Sturgeon...not so much.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on the fish species from what I've read in the past. Carp like to swim at the surface and cruise right on past these obstacles. Sturgeon...not so much.
They did create a side migration route at Drayton to the west of the dam so fish could travel the bottom during hight water.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never said they didn't promote fish migration by removing the dam. Not exactly increasing good fishing opportunity by ripping it out . In some cases there is another dam just upstream so its pointless. Sounds like the water gets higher than this dam most every year, so ample time for migration.
But not during key times in the life cycle of the highly threatened four barbed black bellied dancer minnow that hasn’t been seen since the 60s and might make a big comeback as a result!

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
But not during key times in the life cycle of the highly threatened four barbed black bellied dancer minnow that hasn’t been seen since the 60s and might make a big comeback as a result!
Is that half green Canadian nightcrawler and half dace minnow??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88