Removing Tree Stump

Happy Grower

Okay bear with me. My and my brother spend a few days cutting down a pine tree in his backyard and worked up a real sweat. We managed to saw the log and chip the branches. All good. We've not got this mother ugly stump of about 20 inches in the ground. We were going to dig it out but tbh couldn't face it after the work we had put in just to move the tree.

So our dilemma is what to do next. A friend tell us if we don't get rid of the tree stump it will sprout and grow again. So we need to dig it out or put some sort of treatment down on it.

Okay....so we Google it and come up with this list of how to kill tree stumps using stump killing chemicals, copper nails, grinders and a whole bunch of other killer tactics. The problem is they all take a load more manual work, or require us to wait months to see if the stump will rot down.

So has anyone every done this before themselves and can share what you did and if it worked an dhow long it took. As I am sure as hell not wanting to wait 3 months to find the tree stump sprouting
Dudes any advice would be appreciate before we move into 'beast mode' and try to finish this half cocked job

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drill some hole in in and pour gas in the holes and light on fire. Repeat until gone.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grind it down 12" or so and cover with topsoil. Rent one or find someone that does it for a living.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I doubt a pine stump will regrow. Broad leaf tree like ash or elm would but not pine. I use a 55 gal barrel with both ends cut out and throw in fire wood to kill a stump and get it burned below ground level.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As long as your not going to burn the house down, do as Fireone says, won't take that long

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drill 12ga size holes. Load with 71/2 shot shells and play Whack-A-Mole with a ball-pin hammer. Remember to wear ear protection for your hearing sake.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much agree with ^^ At my place I removed a couple big trees that left big ass stumps,chain sawed a checker board on the stump used charcoal starting fluid and a couple fake fire logs and burnt them babies down to nothing ,took a couple days but it worked.next time Ill have stumps ground out for $2 for every 4" square inches.done deal in a hour or so.

Last edited:

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Happy,
It would be about $80 and some mileage to have it ground down about 12" below ground line. Not sure how much a rental would be, depends on where you are located. I don't believe you will have to worry about re-growth on a pine. Those pine stumps kinda suck to grind as they are fairly soft and don't want to chew up like a hard wood. I do believe if you do anything other than grinding, you will have to wait for it to die down and dry up. If you are going to go rent a grinder, you still might want to wait for it to dry down real good. Just food for thought!

Fish On!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm watching this thread closely. At work, the biggest of three pines blew down this past summer. Got it cut off and hauled away, but the stump is huge. Took a big forklift just to push it back upright. Never even mind lifting it. The roots didn't tear, and they're huge.

stump 1.jpg

stump 2.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a Trump sticker on it, some whack a do liberal will burn it down for you.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Backhoe or drill holes way down into it and let sit so it dries out good. Then pour in diesel fuel and more diesel fuel, until it is saturated. Put 55 gallon barrel over it as described above, put lots of firewood in it and light it. You want to soak that stump for a few days to a week with diesel.
You never said if it was dead or not?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will not grow again. Like stated, holes with diesel fuel or cut level and use as landscaping with bird feeder or like on it.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Contact Otto Kilcher from "Alaska, the Last Frontier" and he will show you how to get it out using dynamite.

Happy Grower

I doubt a pine stump will regrow. Broad leaf tree like ash or elm would but not pine. I use a 55 gal barrel with both ends cut out and throw in fire wood to kill a stump and get it burned below ground level.

Nice now this is the kinda job i could handle. maybe we can cook off some steaks too and empty a few beer cans while we're working. You see there's always a way to make a garbage job fun. thanks fireone

Lando

Established Member
I some stumps at my place that I wanted to get rid of, but decided to cover instead. I am looking for a few old canoes if anyone has one they want to get rid of......

Cut a hole, drill a few more, cut out the seats, fill with rocks, fill dirt, then topsoil. It gives the lady something to do and lets the pizza guy know what house is mine.

135483153_405590977540869_5826583402920037724_n.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88