Returning Rods

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't returned a rod in maybe 2 years, might be 3, but I have not once had trouble returning a rod.

Maybe I am easier on the eyes than the rest of you.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loomis and Croix have never screwed me on a rod. I don't buy scheels outfitter equipment unless I only expect to use it for 2 years or less.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oddly enough, I almost exclusively use scheels signature rods, the cranking series with Okuma linecounters. 0 troubles. Have 6 of them. Flipped many fish into the boat that really should have been netted. Don't drag live bait around enough to justify a fancy spinning rod.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to work at the store mentioned years ago. And I dealt with some unbelievable stuff when it came to scheels rods and their "warranty". Scheels stands behind ALL of their warranty's when it comes to Scheels rods, but it's the guys who bring several rods back in a year or the guy who brings the rod in with half the cork handle missing, caked in mud, and says "yeah, set the hook into a fish and it snapped right below the first eye of the rod!"

Or my best experience, a guy brings in 2 telescopic handle Scheels outfitter 8'6" rods. Both of these rods are sheared off right above the first eye. He said "yeah, broke one on Saturday out cranking, and then snapped this one on sunday out cranking, not sure what the hell the deal is." No you idiot, you backed your boat in the garage when you got home Sunday night, with your rods in rod holder straight up, and broke them on the garage door. He was still sent out the door with 2 new rods. But he did get a little heckling. The warranty is for Manufacture defects, not being a "dumb-ass".

It's this type of abuse that caused all the warranty's to change with the Fenwicks. Before you could take a Fenwick rod in and they would swap it out no questions asked. Then Scheels would send the rods into Fenwick and get credit on them towards their next order. Well after so much of this abuse Fenwick said we're no longer going to reimburse you for it because only a very small portion of these broken rods are actually from a MANUFACTURE DEFECT, so the customer is going to have to send them in! So that's why you can no longer swap out fenwicks at Scheels and Wade can get by with it because he'll only have a hand full vs. hundreds from Scheels.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly marbleyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Every fenwick rod besides my current hmg telescoping rod has broke. The tips just snap off on them. My previous hmg telescoping rod broke at the tip and i have a free replacement now. Good rods do not break unless you really eff up.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I "personally" have never had anything except exceptional customer service at Scheels. Many a times has a manager gone "WAY" above & beyond to help me with a warranty or other issue. I'm a HUGE fan of the scheels brand rods. (mainly due to the in/out warranty). I have probably had 20+ exchanged over the years without issue. I purchased a new landing net last night & the first one I grabbed was a $59 Frabil (with the scheels name on it). Pretty basic net but had everything I needed. The sales guy shows me some extendable handle net for double the price & says "it has a two year warrenty". I then tell him "or I could buy the scheels one for half the price & have a "lifetime" warranty" on it? He smiles & said, "pretty much". As far as the salespeople go I try to have one or two reliable guys who I can trust. I have run into the occasional "newbie" & I'll throw out a couple "technical" questions to test his knowledge & if he passes I'll buy & if not I'll look for someone else or come back later.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 plus rods exchanged???? hahhaaha thats is good stuff.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just send mine to the manufacturer with their form and short hand-written note as I live in the sticks without a Scheels. I've only had to send in 4 rods over the last 15 years. Loomis and St. Croix have been good to work with.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just love how the $30 ugly stick can be slammed in the rod holder door, stepped on, uproot a tree, used to roast hot dogs etc. and it never breaks. Sure they look like crap, and not as 'sensative,' but at least I'm not running to town once a year, hoping to find a store manager that is in a good mood. As far as scheels, they learned years ago that they make more money selling under armor clothing, than keeping the fishing and hunting enthusiast happy. If the owner of Dakota tackle treated his customers, like scheels treats their customers, he would have shut his doors years ago.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just love how the $30 ugly stick can be slammed in the rod holder door, stepped on, uproot a tree, used to roast hot dogs etc. and it never breaks. Sure they look like crap, and not as 'sensative,' but at least I'm not running to town once a year, hoping to find a store manager that is in a good mood. As far as scheels, they learned years ago that they make more money selling under armor clothing, than keeping the fishing and hunting enthusiast happy. If the owner of Dakota tackle treated his customers, like scheels treats their customers, he would have shut his doors years ago.

I get knocked for my 30 buck Lightning rods and Cherrywoods, even have a few old rhinos and ugly sticks for bank fishing. they may not be as sensitive or pretty as a 300 dollar rod but they catch fish.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to wonder how its possible to break so damn many rods. I have literally never broke a rod in my life other than one I drove over. I've used Fenwick, loomis, Scheels, Berkely, TUCR etc. The funny thing is the only rod i ever saw break under normal conditions was my buddy's Ugly Stick. It broke clean off at the handle as he tried to cast haha.

Realistically if i was a rod manufacturer id be pretty selective on who i gave refunds to. It seems most rod breaks are operator error and then people feel entitled to a new rod for their bonehead mistakes.

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to have a few ugliest sticks but as I aged my shoulders ached from the weight of slinging these things all day

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
my son bought me a scheels combo for fathers day 2 years ago, first time out broke the tip on a bluegill. lol took it back and the person I spoke with said they had problems with that rod model (I cant remember which on it was) suggested that I upgrade to the next level and since they were on sale it cost me $10. I am happy with that rod. now the braid they put on the reel when my son purchased it was complete crap.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to wonder how its possible to break so damn many rods. I have literally never broke a rod in my life other than one I drove over. I've used Fenwick, loomis, Scheels, Berkely, TUCR etc. The funny thing is the only rod i ever saw break under normal conditions was my buddy's Ugly Stick. It broke clean off at the handle as he tried to cast haha.

Realistically if i was a rod manufacturer id be pretty selective on who i gave refunds to. It seems most rod breaks are operator error and then people feel entitled to a new rod for their bonehead mistakes.

Yeah, and try dealing with the guy who breaks 2-3 a year. "Boy I don't know what's going on with these things, there sure are cheaply made and over-priced"

Go to scheels. pick up a shorty trolling rod and see if you can break it. I've broken one rod in my life and it was a 6' rod, I high-sticked a fat 18" walleye in the boat and it snapped. My dad is the master, it's as if he tap dances on all my rods. Broken eyelets, then he puts the 7' rods in the 6'6" spot in the rod locker and snaps the tips off. These are 97% of the ways a rod breaks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84