Rod holders

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m getting my first glass boat and I’m wondering what you prefer for rod holders. I can do a factory track system or should I go with rail mount? My kicker will have a tie bar so what works for you for location and type of rod holder?
thanks!

i know it’s ice season but I’m already thinking about open water in my new ride!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
20191108_180612.jpg20191108_180612.jpg

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have rails and Ram rod holders. I like the setup.

I would prefer Folbe's, but couldn't justify the price.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've put several dozen on boats of all kinds. Ram, Scotty and folbes.
I'm a fan of Scotty's, simple, great extensions and they just plain work. Those rail systems are sweet, rails work well also. Congrats on your boat!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had Ram on my last 4 boats. I like the versatility and, to me, the rod seems more secure. I do like the design of the Cabelas/Scotty extensions.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the Ram railmounts compatible with the Scotty and Cabelas rod holders? Or do you need to match them with Ram rod holders?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m on my second boat with Folbe’s. They just work, it would be nearly impossible to lose a rod with them and yet there easy to release when the time comes for a hook set. They also have a nice locking feature which is great for trolling cranks. My only complaint is they tend to be a little sticky when new, takes a year for them to loosen up.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I like rails for the versatility. There’s are tons of accessories that can be rail mounted from many different companies.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the Ram railmounts compatible with the Scotty and Cabelas rod holders? Or do you need to match them with Ram rod holders?

I believe they are Ram specific. To my knowledge, only Scotty and Cabelas are compatible. However, I could be wrong. I have not tried to mix and match.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m on my second boat with Folbe’s. They just work, it would be nearly impossible to lose a rod with them and yet there easy to release when the time comes for a hook set. They also have a nice locking feature which is great for trolling cranks. My only complaint is they tend to be a little sticky when new, takes a year for them to loosen up.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I like rails for the versatility. There’s are tons of accessories that can be rail mounted from many different companies.

I have considered Traxtech tracks; but chose rails on this years build as well. The tracks are expensive; but the many base options, all easily removable (downrigger bases, etc) are handy.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there were track system on my Skeeter I'd be in seventh heaven. Having the rails is okay, but I think they're only another obstacle to getting in/out of the boat.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No RAM and Scotty are not compatible with each other. The RAM holders can fit in the Scotty bases but do not lock in. Fish on rod holders are also not compatible.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry but I'm gonna go off topic for a moment and then we can get back to those high maintenance rod holders :) ;If your planning to run down riggers, I think tracks are far Superior to rails and can provide a much better support and brace systems. As person that never plans to run down-riggers, like I mentioned above I like the versatility of the rails.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28