Self driving farm equipment

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will be interesting to see how this affects rural areas. Actual farmers are becoming a smaller minority of the population year after year already.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct the bigger corporate type farming businesses actually hire their seasonal workers out of South Africa. Atleast that's what the ones around here do

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I envision a lot of robotics in ag in the future. I sure felt like a robot cutting hay all day.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might seem like a good idea to farmers until something goes haywire and a tractor takes off across country in the middle of the night and wrecks everything in it's path.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
worked for old Ukrainian couple - former dirt farmers with oil money

lunch sucked… they’d bring me a warm jug of water and an egg sandwich - no condiments - fried egg between two slices of bread

somehow it sufficed though - ha ha

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct the bigger corporate type farming businesses actually hire their seasonal workers out of South Africa. Atleast that's what the ones around here do
Bingo My friends too and they set them up with place to live, give land, few cows etc...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
These self driving tractors remind of the Sci fi movie called interstellar. Where all farming equipment is self driven where there isn't even a cab on them. Satellite and drones are used to orchestrate where the farm machines are located and what they are doing.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
80 percent of the way there now, dont see many operators touching the steering wheel except at the end of the field.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I think this self drive stuff is BS. I drive a grain cart on the run beside a $600k combine that has self drive gps super butt lubed auto correcting wizbang top notch corrective drive intergalacticly guaranteed never to waver pure f'n magic controls installed and the Son of a Bitch HIT ME TWICE this past harvest year. Wash outs tend to make a machine suddenly swerve for a second or two before the gps kicks in to correct and in that second or two a combine will move several feet in one direction or the other. I run about 4 ft from the combine head and I saw the threat and was turning out when the collisions occurred. Self drive all you want. I trust my eyes, by brain, and my hands to keep me safe. Not some cuircut board computer jockeys idea of safety. Carry on!!!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
1706313867420.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113