Sharp-tails/ MT

Tinesdown

Established Member
In the old days of crappy west side corn, we killed piles of them in armpit high corn. Alfalfa too. The tops of hills on windy days. Shady bushes on the hot days. And pass shot them into flowers too. The variety makes it fun.
The birds do group huge come late november they can be impossible to get shots. Depending on the conditions colder the better for chickens but hard to get especially in the pickup. Some years the birds will eat buffalo berries. Other times they are in grain fields. Best or most birds i have encounterd were in slope bowman really good but williams an divide has a lot. Some of those u clean an the white fat is incredible. Guess its could be an older one or just how they store up energy for the prairie winter white fat. You hsve to respect a bird that does not migrate.

Tinesdown

Established Member
A number of years ago me and 2 buddies and my dog headed up near Edmore/ Hampden area. Hunted an old fellas land that we met at Pop's earlier. hahahha mostly alfalfa, ponds, etc.. we got our 9 sharpies on saturday and 9 on sunday. was awesome!!....IF i recall correctly. the birds flushed /flew on the side hillls when we walked.Not really hills.Perhaps they were watching??His grandson was gonna hunt the land for ducks and geese and bowhunting then on so we didnt hunt it then on. Still miss hunting that area.
Aslo seen coveys of sharpies hamberg oberon area newrockford the strips along the hills. Cant kill em but they flush if driving through. What is it with the tilling all dirt for production the one area had good deer sign but alot of pine trees. Some one prolly knows this spot north of carrington nd. Before she got posted to a pea we used to push for deer a bunch of these areas kill alot of deer. A good deer drive leaving no doe not with a bullet in the back of the skull had some crack shots an no deer would live put it that way. This was when i was a 12 year old kid those dudes took deer hunting to the extreme. Was probably 15 of us surounding a big slough bottom we knew the critters were in there they didnt get far out of the area to say the least like a fucking pop off but u claim the buck its shot to shit the small 4×4 is fair game every one was slimg lead at the buck kinda dumb but private land deer sometime can get massacred

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sharp tail fat is whiter than pheasant or hun fat, unless, they’re all eating sunflowers, then they all have white fat.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Sharp tail fat is whiter than pheasant or hun fat, unless, they’re all eating sunflowers, then they all have white fat.
That is tru the most crazy fat on a big old one is around the organs like no other bird that grouse has alot.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
something happened to the sharptail hatch where i was at in mt, very dry and not many bugs and hoppers, shot birds every day but nothing like last year. lots of hunters maybe not as many as last year but still gets hammered pretty hard the first week.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They should be good in north central Sodak this year . Grass hoppers are insane. They have ate every thing in my garden

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 42