Shouse Building

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright guys, finally time to design the shouse. Going to be 1 level and let’s call it close to 4,000 sq ft and split pretty equally between shop and living.

I want you must haves for the shop. I dont think I’ll have much say in the living space anyway.

Boat and enclosed trailer 16.5 ft V are my largest assets.

Fire away.

#1 will be big enough doors both tall and wide.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
in floor heat through out ( dual zone), 15' side walls min for potential camper.
i know u said single level but i would do a storage loft above the living portion. lots and lots of lights and electrical outlets, wire for 220 right away as well. look into off peak electricity for heating (last couple years electricity was cheaper then propane, dual fuel boiler.

if this is a retirement home i would also make the walk in doors wide enough for wheel chairs incase they are ever needed.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouses seems to be really popular these days, the only thing i would be worried about is my shops stink, gas, 90 weight oil let alone bring something in with old gas. wouldn't your house end up smelling like a shop? I thought garages were usually made a step or 2 lower than the house for a reason?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
in floor heat through out ( dual zone), 15' side walls min for potential camper.
i know u said single level but i would do a storage loft above the living portion. lots and lots of lights and electrical outlets, wire for 220 right away as well. look into off peak electricity for heating (last couple years electricity was cheaper then propane, dual fuel boiler.

if this is a retirement home i would also make the walk in doors wide enough for wheel chairs incase they are ever needed.
Floor heat 100%. Might even do a zone for the driveway but afraid of freezing / ice.

I think we will do storage above living especially if we do 16 ft sidewalls. Already got 220 in when we put the camper out there as I knew we would adventually build.

Wheelchair access is a good one. Never thought of that. I’m only building one of these.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have room build one bay with double doors, install air lines inside walls pex would surfice,
boiler system that uses used oil, floor drians, go 3 stall with that one unheated or an utility type with a 6 foot door.
Plug in ever 6 or 4 feet atleast 4 feet from floor.
Could put in a exhaust fan for better ventilation or install an exhaust hose that you can attach to vehicles.
Double Pane windows
Epoxy floors for easy cleanups
Utility sink
If you are not building a living area on top install folding attic stairs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 285
  • This month: 172
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90