Shouse Building

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright guys, finally time to design the shouse. Going to be 1 level and let’s call it close to 4,000 sq ft and split pretty equally between shop and living.

I want you must haves for the shop. I dont think I’ll have much say in the living space anyway.

Boat and enclosed trailer 16.5 ft V are my largest assets.

Fire away.

#1 will be big enough doors both tall and wide.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
in floor heat through out ( dual zone), 15' side walls min for potential camper.
i know u said single level but i would do a storage loft above the living portion. lots and lots of lights and electrical outlets, wire for 220 right away as well. look into off peak electricity for heating (last couple years electricity was cheaper then propane, dual fuel boiler.

if this is a retirement home i would also make the walk in doors wide enough for wheel chairs incase they are ever needed.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouses seems to be really popular these days, the only thing i would be worried about is my shops stink, gas, 90 weight oil let alone bring something in with old gas. wouldn't your house end up smelling like a shop? I thought garages were usually made a step or 2 lower than the house for a reason?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
in floor heat through out ( dual zone), 15' side walls min for potential camper.
i know u said single level but i would do a storage loft above the living portion. lots and lots of lights and electrical outlets, wire for 220 right away as well. look into off peak electricity for heating (last couple years electricity was cheaper then propane, dual fuel boiler.

if this is a retirement home i would also make the walk in doors wide enough for wheel chairs incase they are ever needed.
Floor heat 100%. Might even do a zone for the driveway but afraid of freezing / ice.

I think we will do storage above living especially if we do 16 ft sidewalls. Already got 220 in when we put the camper out there as I knew we would adventually build.

Wheelchair access is a good one. Never thought of that. I’m only building one of these.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have room build one bay with double doors, install air lines inside walls pex would surfice,
boiler system that uses used oil, floor drians, go 3 stall with that one unheated or an utility type with a 6 foot door.
Plug in ever 6 or 4 feet atleast 4 feet from floor.
Could put in a exhaust fan for better ventilation or install an exhaust hose that you can attach to vehicles.
Double Pane windows
Epoxy floors for easy cleanups
Utility sink
If you are not building a living area on top install folding attic stairs

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I agree with this. May want to really research off peak as with all the BS electrical problems they have had around the country my off peak has been shut off in my shop pretty regularly for the last few winters. I have noticed the shut off usuall early morning around 2am to 5am. May not be a big deal but just something to be aware of.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you have room build one bay with double doors, install air lines inside walls pex would surfice,
boiler system that uses used oil, floor drians, go 3 stall with that one unheated or an utility type with a 6 foot door.
Could put in a exhaust fan for better ventilation or install an exhaust hose that you can attach to vehicles.
Double Pane windows
Utility sink
I have epoxy but scratch the hell out of it..being I use my shop to work on things.. cars, boats, other random equipment. It looks nice and makes it very easy to clean up but I thought it would be way way stronger…

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you put a cleaning area for game includ a good drain and make a nice area for bait tank and bait fridge

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's all in one shop/house, put an amenity like your washer/dryer in the shop. Saves space in the house, and you're not trackin grease and mud in the living quarters
I'd have a "mud" room with the washer dryer and some closets. Oh and a sink!! If you have pets a nice floor drain in it with a little wash station to hose off the mud. I wish my mud room had a drain. Be a good spot for the kitty litter so you can have a few rat catchers in the place.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Double Pane windows
Utility sink
Bad idea, if you have a leak, now you are effn up your walls to find it.
Run air and water lines on the wall for access, it isn't a house or fancy pansy, best future trouble advert you can install.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you are a good distance, like half a mile away from neighbors, I'd forego the oil burner in the shop. They stink like hell and are a good way to annoy neighbors.

Yes, I once had a neighbor about a quarter mile away and slightly down in elevation that ran an oil burner in his shop. Maybe 10-20 days a winter it would stink up my place when the wind was just right.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 303
  • This month: 191
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73