Side by sides

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you have for a side by side and what are its best features and poorest feature?

- - - Updated - - -

I had a 2007 Artic Cat Prowler 600, it had nice fit and finish like most cats. But it was expensive to keep up , hard starting and engine threw a rod at around 1500 miles. Next is a 2012 Polaris Ranger 500, overall a nice easy starting machine, fits on most trails and I have spent 0 dollars on it other than maintainance. On the downside the original tires are junk and I don't like the cut out on the governor

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a Suzuki Sidekick with mattracks. The interior is more comfortable than a SxS. Heater works great and it's more quiet than a SxS. Best benefit was the price, but it is mire heavy than a SxS.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a lefever nitro express from Ithaca. Best feature is 2 triggers. No complaints for worst feature to IMG_20161101_070954751_HDR.jpg

Yes I know your talking UTV but this is the only sxs I have

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a 2012 Polaris Ranger 800 and sold it to my daughter and her boyfriend this fall. Ordering a new Polaris General Deluxe this spring.
Wouldn't have one without power steering. Friends laughed when we got the Ranger with PS. After riding around on trails and in the yard working they all got power steering on their next ones too. Steer with one finger and don't have to worry about the steering wheel spinning if you hit a rock or something with one front wheel. Especially nice on the trails. Was warm on hot days as you sat over the engine. Now they have moved the engine back farther so not as warm on newer models. Think they changed this in 2013 but not sure of year.
Ranger you can see in front of you real good which is nice on trails but the seats and ride aren't what the RZR or General's are. Not even close.
Have friends with 2 Can Am's and they say only 2 things they don't like on them is hot as engine is under them and have to pull the seats to do any service work. Don't know if Can Am has changed this since they got theirs or not.
Polaris only has 6 months warranty where some others have 1-3 years unless you buy extended warranty and that runs around 1500 bucks or so. Between ATV's and SxS's we have had many ATV's and will be 2 SxS's. Had good luck with all. Have run Polaris for darn near 30 years. Never had a belt problem some people do but that usually is caused by NOT driving in low range from 0-15 mph when putzing around. You have to completely stop and shift to high range when going low to high or high to low. Not a big deal at all.
Won't cut other machines down as ALL have good and bad points. Ask people that own them and check in campgrounds like in the Black Hills how people like them and get their good and bad points. Try and go ride what you think you might like to see if you really do. When you make up your mind find a reputable dealer that does good service! If you want Polaris dealer i can give you a name of cheapest dealer to buy a new one from if looking new. Just PM me if you want.
Boils down to what you will use it for. Reason we sold our Ranger is no longer on farm and don't ice fish anymore either. General rides better and still has a small dump box. With Polaris most accessories work on all Polaris machines. Some don't interchange and some do. Before deciding know what you ''Might" put on it for accessories as not all brands have the accessories you might want. There are a lot of accessories one can get from other makers of accessories and not brand name but most work and fit well. Ask around about them too. Usually somewhat cheaper in price that brand name.
If buying new ask the dealer if he will give you 15% discount on accessories. I always get at least that much discount. Some dealers will install for free the accessories if you buy them from them at the time you buy the SxS.
Any questions PM me and i will try to answer.
Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a Honda as they run forever and you will be able to find parts forever. I know many companies that use utvs and no other brand can hold up to the daily use like Honda can. After 10 years most of the domestic brands will be tough to find parts. Honda parts are easy to find as many of the motors are used in other things.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a 2009 Ranger a couple yrs ago, it's great for ice fishing, the big box makes pulling a sled unnecessary, other than if using your house.
It is warm in the summer, as I notice the radiator heat by my feet if I have the windshield shut.
I think brokeback summed it all up.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I raked the yard, trimmed all the perennials, mowed the yard, collected everything up into the box of the ranger (which is light enough to drive all over the yard). And only had to make 2 trips to where I dump it all. Love having a big cargo area on a light, sporty, easy to use machine.

DJE

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run Can-am for the last 8 years and have had very good luck with the 3 atvs I've had. My dads been running a can am commander since 2011 and hasn't done anything but change the oil and it's got over 4000 miles. I'm in the process of selling my 1000 atv to get a new maverick s x s.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have allot of friends switching over from rangers to the new Can-am Defender 1000 "many had new rangers year after year on the farm and ranch". And none would go back by the sounds of it..

canam.jpg

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I raked the yard, trimmed all the perennials, mowed the yard, collected everything up into the box of the ranger (which is light enough to drive all over the yard). And only had to make 2 trips to where I dump it all. Love having a big cargo area on a light, sporty, easy to use machine.

JR,
I thought you were going to say after filling the box you then proceded to drive down the street fast to empty out the box and let the neighbors deal with it. ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention one really good thing is if you can get ''turf mode'' on a machine so you can turn and not burn up your tires with the positrac rear-end. Ranger had 4x4, posi-rear end, and turf mode. New Generals have that too as previous Generals did not. I don't think the RZR's have turf mode either.
Really saves on the yard and on the rear tires on pavement or really hard pack.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34