Sitka gear…..$$$$

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep. Sweat shirt and pants and adjust the heater or air to comfort zone. My 150 cruising blind works just fine in my older age. LB

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with layering, except below the waist, to many layers make it difficult to piss with a short dick on a cold morning. Yes I know what i'm talking about.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
She was a daughter of FC AFC Gunstock Butch From Winifox. I bought her off the truck at 18 months. Just a unbelievable dog.
So you must have got her from Charlie Hays or did he have her with a pro running derbys do you remember the dam. Butch has both dude and honcho a couple generations back so that dog had to have some big fire power.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which pants in particular? There's dozens of styles of "with flex" jeans.

I'm always looking for diamonds in the rough like this.

Not sure what pant he's talking about, but I have 5 pairs of these. Have some on now. They are fantastic for daily wear, but I couldn't imagine them being much more than an early-early mid season hunting pant. They are not all that windproof, and have zero moisture protection.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-wrangler-flex-waist-outdoor-cargo-pant-NW780.html

Another diamond in the rough is Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. When you can get them on sale for 50% off. Their LINED Guide Pros actually make a decent later season pant if rain is not an issue (ie below freezing). They don't breath as well as the higher end stuff though, all pants wound benefit from hip vents. They are very toasty and comfy. I did soak through a pair yesterday doing some cross country skiing. I was overdressed though.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951203/men's-guide-pro-lined-pants

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
And just like that the last flame of hope I had stamped out and extinguished by people hunting in flex skinny jeans...rofl...

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
And just like that the last flame of hope I had stamped out and extinguished by people hunting in flex skinny jeans...rofl...

I'm a bigger dude who despises nut huggers. The Wrangler Flex pants are the "skinniest" type of pant I own. But they aren't horrible due to the stretch. If you actually hike in them, you learn to appreciate not having baggy ass pants. The Eddie Bauer pants are a baggier fit than the Wranglers.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you must have got her from Charlie Hays or did he have her with a pro running derbys do you remember the dam. Butch has both dude and honcho a couple generations back so that dog had to have some big fire power.
I got her from Dean Shankland. He was running dogs for Charlie. She was out of a Candlewood dog.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got her from Dean Shankland. He was running dogs for Charlie. She was out of a Candlewood dog.
That would have been HRCH Candlewood blackgold brooke MH. Her litter mate a yellow male was a fc afc Gunstocks Fast eddy felson . Did you get any all age points or did she just run derbys with the pro?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That would have been HRCH Candlewood blackgold brooke MH. Her litter mate a yellow male was a fc afc Gunstocks Fast eddy felson . Did you get any all age points or did she just run derbys with the pro?
As far as I know she just ran derbys. I was told of her by a friend of Deans at a Ducks Unlimited event. I went to a field trial Ottawa WI and watched her run. Dean told me take her home, if you like her send me a check. Two weeks later I sent him a check. That Sept and Oct I had her in Canada. She had more than 400 retrieves in 3 weeks. She was the type of dog that hunters only dream about.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are a lot of companies that have the same shit as the high dollar companies
This right here.

Prana and Eddie Bauer make a better pant that dries faster compared to anything the hunting companies are putting out. Mountain hardware, REI, and eddie bauer are all making puffy pants and jackets that are no different than the hunting brands. Grundens and HH are both making better rain gear than the hunting companies. Black Ovis is making wool base layers just the same as their competitors. All of those items are 1/4 the price of sitka/kuiu and just as good.

Kuiu has the 3/4 zip of wool bottoms that are MINT as well as the best gaiter of the 4 brands I've tried. The sitka fanatic hoodie (got this with a $300 gift card I won) is in a class of it's own. Those are the only 3 items I can think of that I'd personally search out and spend more from those companies that are applicable to my needs.

I've sat in on a couple speaking events by a legendary guide by the name Joe Want. The salty of the saltiest sourdoughs. I think to this day he's guided more bears on Kodiak than any other person ever has and has watched a metric ton of sheep killed. In addition to thousands of others animals. He's had more hunting experience dribble down the front of his shirt than most of us combined have lived. He has a part of his presentation where he touches on clothing. Said he did it for 40 years in jeans and flannels/cotton and then upgraded to synthetics/down/base wool for the last 15 or so years of his career once it became available. His take was, and I'll try to sugar coat it, "you're a fucking idiot if you're still mountain hunting in cotton." All them old time sheep hunters were badass in their own right. But every single one of them would've traded gear with what we have in a second. As Lew Bradley who published the Rampages book and who has personally killed I believe double digit 40 inch rams (edit, he's killed 14 rams over 40 inches and 35 total rams) said in an interview - "we got to kill sheep a couple miles from the road on day hunts. No one else was out there. The guys today would run circles around what we were doing and most old timers with double digit rams wouldn't have showed up to the trailhead if they knew they had to go 10 miles in to do it like the guys today have to." (summed up what he's said multiple times, you can listen to him talk on the Alascast or Tundrtalk for his version)

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh I think people who need to buy sitka gear are the same people who have wives or girlfriends who insist on buying Gucci or coach. They buy it becuase they can afford it and i say good for you but there isn't anything special about buying a 500+ jacket to stand out in the tree stand, you can read online the many alternatives to sitka that for a fraction of the price that will get the job done. On a positive note they are made in the USA so they have my support just for that point. yeah I don't have anything sitka but I can read. JMTC
JMTC!! Love it! It's catching on!! J ust M y T wo C ents. Love it.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't own any Sitka products, but I do believe in high quality gear.

My uninsulated Simms boot-foot waders are twice as good as any other pair I've ever owned.

Pretty much every time I fish, I have the Simms Pertex vest layered in there somewhere.

I can fish the tailrace in the fall, while wearing their Downstream insulated pants, under the waders. It's like walking around in a sleeping bag, without the bulk.

Also, they have a stocking hat with a layer of Gore-Tex in it, to stop the wind.

Some seriously good cold-weather gear.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
JK dont bring up Simms --- next Ahab will be on here giving his plug for Simms

How about gloves --- any ideas

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Army surplus stores use.to have the very best in gloves. 100% wool liners in black leather gloves with wind cinch straps were awesome, haven't seen in yrs.1

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you're sitting a hand muff of your choice will beat any glove out there. Keep some "hot hands" in your pack and put them in your muff ( insert perverted responses here__________________ .) Toasty warm.

When I'm up and moving around it has to be pretty damn cold before my hands get too cold with just about any "decent" glove out there. (maybe I have good circulation...IDK)

The obvious...mittens kick the hell out of gloves as far as warmth goes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14