Skull dark after boiling?!?!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I took a skull to a guy in Minot last year and he charged $125. It was nice and clean and white when I got it back. That doesn't include any mounting. It is ready to be put on whatever plaque you want. I have zero complaints about his work.
KDM, those mounts turned out real nice. Thanks for the ideas and pictures.

Fish On!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please explain your maceration process.

I built a large tank and used a water heater element and a thermostat to keep the temp around 90-95 degrees. Remove bottom jaw, eyes, brain and anything else that will come off. Throw the skulls into the tank, cover and let them sit. It will take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to come out clean depending on the type of skull. Once clean, dump the water out and refill with fresh water. Add a bunch of dawn dish soap and crank the temp to 115. This is done to degrease the skulls and will usually take another 1-3 weeks depending on the skull. Every skull is different. The large tank was kind of a pain, so I bought a 5 gallon bucket heater and do one deer skull at a time now.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guys,
What is this bucket heater you speak of? Maybe some pics or links and are their different ones that are better? I am doing the pot on a burner but not boiling it. Trying to keep it about 110-120. I also am having a few issues with keeping the whole skull in the water but not deep enough to get the base of the horns down in.

Fish On!

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113