Smoke pole

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there anything deer hunting related that you don't have a gripe about? Also in your avatar the mustachioed hombre is the good guy and Trump is Vader. Commie.
You may want to give this a try

image.jpg

I have never needed it but you seem to be pretty chapped up fron my one tag stance

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly Carpin - as much as Obi and I butt heads on a particular topic, his POV is on with quite a few others. The muzzleloader tag has basically morphed into a single shot second rifle season.

While it wasn't specifically listed as primitive weapons only, the guys wanting to use those weapons wanted to have a season just for those types of weapons.

Along comes inline muzzleloaders and a boom in tags and we have a pile of people applying for those tags now.

My personal opinion goes along with Obi however, the inlines aren't specifically excluded so they are allowed to be used. So be it.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly Carpin - as much as Obi and I butt heads on a particular topic, his POV is on with quite a few others. The muzzleloader tag has basically morphed into a single shot second rifle season.

While it wasn't specifically listed as primitive weapons only, the guys wanting to use those weapons wanted to have a season just for those types of weapons.

Along comes inline muzzleloaders and a boom in tags and we have a pile of people applying for those tags now.

My personal opinion goes along with Obi however, the inlines aren't specifically excluded so they are allowed to be used. So be it.

I shoot Lyman’s Great Plains rifles. One for patched round ball and one with a faster twist for conicals. I don’t disagree that the modern inlines are bastardizing the original intent of muzzleloader hunting. I do however take umbrage with divisiveness amongst the hunting community. We need to be willing to adjust our expectations and allow occasional advancements if it means more hunters getting involved. I’m also ok with inline muzzy hunters because I’d guess a large portion of hunters don’t shoot their muzzleloaders more than a couple times a decade. In my mind a wounded deer that isn’t retrieved is 100 times worse than someone zapping a late season buck at 150 yards instead of 75

Also his avatar is dumb.

Last edited:

.deleted.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got lucky after 9 points. Good luck to anyone else that drew a tag.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I started applying 9 years ago with the thought of buying a smoke pole when i draw a tag. I still havent had to make a purchase. I think it would be pretty cool to have to use an old flint lock rather than the new inlines. Hell, shooting out to 150-200 yards i think strays from original intent. Much more interesting to see the hammer drop, hold, hold some more and then wait for a boom that may never come.
The hold after the trigger pull is a lot easier said then done. You have to retrain your brain after a summer and fall of pulling the trigger and the instant bang. In practice its easy but in the heat of the moment for me its impossible.;:;rofl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an evil inline, bought it about 11 years ago when I last drew a tag and shot a nice whitetail.
Since then it has went to Canada and I've borrowed it out to lucky folks that have drawn several times.
With 11 pp I'm hoping to draw in the next couple years hopefully.

chad muzzy buck.jpg
Ram rod was left somewhere in the snow after I hastily reloaded for another shot that I ended up not taking. Froze my butt off that morning, great memories thou!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question- inline muzzleloader with saboted bullets, open sights, what is the real effective range? I mean I am the first to say I am not a crack rifle shot. With a centerfire rifle w/9x scope I don't stretch it beyond 250-275. I can't imagine I would be anywhere near comfortable beyond 100 yards, and that may be a stretch. I see it as extended bow range. I don't shoot over 40 yards with my bow, but an inline I could see being effective in that 40-90 yard range. Maybe I just suck, but I feel like I keep reasonable limitations on my range based on skill. And, I'm guessing my skill is pretty average. So stretching beyond 100 seems like a LONG shot and a very real chance of a bad shot.

Good news is I am a couple years from drawing here in SD. 5 years preference is what it takes for a buck. Get one every year for antlerless.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I shoot smokeless in my muzzy and its a lot of fun, never had a tag to actually go after a deer yet tho...

It is illegal to shoot smokeless powder in muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season. If you use it during rifle season you are ok. It is also a way to inflict serious bodily harm or death to yourself.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot a savage ML thats designed for smokeless use also. Ive only used it during regular gun season to fill 'concurrent' tags so far. If I ever draw a muzzy tag ill use smokey then, till then its nice not having to clean the dang thing every 3 shots or whatever...

Id say in ND your limit isnt as much the gun as the optics. Strap some better glass on it tho and 2-3" groups @ 100 are typical.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are better ways to limit the muzzy than limiting in-lines. There have been forms of in-lines going back to 1835. Perhaps a better term is direct fire because the underhammers were a direct fire. Colorado the last time I was there didn't allow sabots. You had to use round ball or a Maxi ball type bullet.
I have two in-lines, and three traditional external hammer muzzys. I have shot sabots, and I am sure I could be lethal to 200 yards, but I limited myself to 125 yards. If I use a Maxi ball 125 yards is also my limit. If I shoot a round ball 100 yards is my limit and that's pushing it since my rifle is most accurate at a low 1700 fps.
I keep saving up for a flintlock, then priorities put it on the back burner. I really messed up about five years ago when I found Lyman Great Plains flintlock rifle kits for $250. I put together a cap lock 30 years ago and it was a great shooting rifle for round ball. My Hawken I have the original barrel which is a hybrid 48 inch twist for both round ball and Maxi, and a Green Mountain for it with a 70 inch twist.

Edit: What an in-line does for you is reduce hangfires in bad weather. There is nothing sporting about a hangfire that makes you gut shoot a deer. Yes yes I just refrain from shooting. Thought I should make that clear to the crowd who thinks they are the only ones who would have thought of that.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question- inline muzzleloader with saboted bullets, open sights, what is the real effective range? I mean I am the first to say I am not a crack rifle shot. With a centerfire rifle w/9x scope I don't stretch it beyond 250-275. I can't imagine I would be anywhere near comfortable beyond 100 yards, and that may be a stretch. I see it as extended bow range. I don't shoot over 40 yards with my bow, but an inline I could see being effective in that 40-90 yard range. Maybe I just suck, but I feel like I keep reasonable limitations on my range based on skill. And, I'm guessing my skill is pretty average. So stretching beyond 100 seems like a LONG shot and a very real chance of a bad shot.

Good news is I am a couple years from drawing here in SD. 5 years preference is what it takes for a buck. Get one every year for antlerless.

IMO, with a GOOD peep sight and practice, you lose virtually nothing vs. 1x scope. I've got a TC Omega that my dad bought used 15+ yrs ago. 2" or better 3-shot groups are a reasonable expectation w/saboted bullets and pelletized powder. The rifle is exactly as it came from the factory except that I added a Sightron 1x24 scope to the top. With a scope even in the 4x-6x range I suspect I could significantly drop the group size as the crosshairs on the 1x cover so much of the target I have a hard time shooting groups with it.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a suppressed muzzleloader that can ship to your door for around $900, without having to pay tax stamp or go through the NFA BS? Where does that fall? :cool:

https://silencerco.com/maxim50/

Maxim50-1.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44