Smoked walleye jerky

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I get stomped on, yes, fried, grilled, and baked fish are all delicious. This is for those looking to switch things up a bit:

Ingredients
6-8 pounds of fish
32 oz Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Canning Salt
¼ Cup Coarse Ground Black Pepper

Directions

Pat fillets with paper towels removing as much water as possible
Combine and Mix Brown Sugar, Canning Salt, and Pepper
Place dry brine mix in a Ziploc bag and add fish
Coat fillets well
Place in fridge for 24-48 hours rotating the bag every 8 hours
Remove fillets from brine (I dump everything into a colander/strainer to get rid of the liquid)
Smoke 1-2 hours with apple or hickory wood
Finish drying on dehydrator to desired texture

I use the thicker “back meat” pieces for this. I’ve used crappie and perch as well. I’ll often times freeze them separately specifically for this recipe. I’ve received many compliments from this recipe.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend that smokes walleye fillets, skin-on & rib/pin bones in, with a similar brine & cherrywood about 1-1&1/2 hours. Very good!
We just peel the skin off, pull the rib bones, & zipper the pins.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KW,what temp? smoke entire time? curious,I wouldn't think smoked walleye would'nt turn out all that good flesh is so lean unlike salmon/trout but thanx,might give it a whirl if I get a chance to walleye fish on a lake with a daily limit allowed and more than one keeper walleye,slots suck.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
An old neighbor smokes all his walleye and perch. Delicious.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about the cheeks can you make walleye cheek jerky, or that to prime of a piece to waste on jerky?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
KW,what temp? smoke entire time? curious,I wouldn't think smoked walleye would turn out all that good flesh is so lean unlike salmon/trout but thanx,might give it a whirl if I get a chance to walleye fish on a lake with a daily limit allowed and more than one keeper walleye,slots suck.

I cold smoked a batch for 1.5 hours last night. Otherwise, 150 ish for temp. As stated in the instructions, I only smoke for 1-2 hours tops. Then I remove from the smoker and finish on the dehydrator at 155 temp for around 4-6 hours depending on how chewy you want it.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the cheeks can you make walleye cheek jerky, or that to prime of a piece to waste on jerky?

I freeze Walter cheeks separate from fillets. When I get a decent amount, I’ll make walleye cheek Cajun pasta. I haven’t decided if I want to share that recipe yet. Haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Way too prime to waste on jerky. Walter cheeks are like scallops. They are in a class of their own.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats what I was thinking as well cajun walleye cheek pasta sounds good, especially during lent. I just know how to make fish tacos

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a recipe for smoked walleye and it uses pineapple juice in the brine,sweet and smokey,some of the best I have tried.Also have a friend that makes pheasant jerky,most can't believe that one,but also good!!

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a recipe for smoked walleye and it uses pineapple juice in the brine,sweet and smokey,some of the best I have tried.Also have a friend that makes pheasant jerky,most can't believe that one,but also good!!

Well you can't just tease us with something like that. It's gotta be shared!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KW When you say that you remove fish from brine does that mean you rinse with water. Thanks. LB

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you leave the skin, or is that going to make it fishy tasting

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaving the skin on does not seem to add a fishy taste. it does serve purposes: prevents too much dry-out while smoking, holds the fillets together better, and makes for easier handling.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I forgot to mention that I remove the skin and pin bones

Been meaning to try this since [MENTION=429]Kentucky Windage[/MENTION] posted. Started small with 2 lbs walleye fillets and 1/3 the ingredient quantities listed. Salt content seems light but seasoning to fish ratio was just right to completely coat with a little extra in the bag. Will lightly smoke and dehydrate on Wednesday. Looking forward to trying it.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been meaning to try this since @Kentucky Windage posted. Started small with 2 lbs walleye fillets and 1/3 the ingredient quantities listed. Salt content seems light but seasoning to fish ratio was just right to completely coat with a little extra in the bag. Will lightly smoke and dehydrate on Wednesday. Looking forward to trying it.

“White fish meat” can be easily over salted. I agree with your concerns. I have always made my batches between 6-8 Lbs, but I’m usually closer to 6 pounds. If you think it’s under salted, run your salt ratio toward the high side of the weight range. I don’t feel like doing math right now, but that would be 1/3 of 1/3 cup at 2 pounds instead of 1/4 of 1/3 cup. Make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to the white fish meat and salt comment, I’d shade toward smoking for 1 hour instead of 2 to start with. Your smoker and my smoker possibly aren’t the same. Too much salt and smoke can ruin things pretty quick.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoked some pheasant breast once on the rib cage, driest toughest thing I every wasted my time with.
obviously did something way wrong.

I only smoke red meats now, and of course have it somewhat perfected.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74