smoking

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do packer briskets as well
Trim fat to 1/4 inch. cover with favorite dry rub. I normally cover in mustard before putting on my dry rub. Helps the rub stick.
Smoke between 200 and 225 for until brisket reaches temp of 160. Fat side up
At that point I wrap entire brisket tight in tin foal and continue to cook at 225-250 until brisket reaches 190 internal temp.
I pull brisket and let rest about an hour in an old cooler lined with towels. I have very large baking pan i put brisket on for this step
Slice against the grain and enjoy.
Something else i do is kinda my little secret but ill share.
when i trim fat from brisket i cut it into small cubes and render it down. throw some tatonka dust in rendered fat and stir in.
Inject this rendered fat/spice mix into brisket before i throw on smoker

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at a state dart tournament this last winter in Minot, we made a night of it the first night, at around 3 in the a.m. some random character shows up in our group caring around a brick of home smoked cheese and a bag of pretzels. It tasted as if he had rolled the cheese directly in the campfire ash of a pine tree bonfire, was about the worst tasting "food" I had ever eating, needless to say it was 3 a.m. and we as a group proceeded to eat the entire 2lbs block....haha

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks everyone for the great tips. Appreciate hearing from people who know what they're doing :)

I bought a Masterbuilt about a month ago and have made wings, jalapeno poppers, Northern Pike, and beef jerky so far. Everything turned out good except the jerky was only so-so.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somebody shared this years ago on "the other site that shall not be named". I've made it many times and everyone likes them. Wish I could remember who it was so they get the proper credit.

4 c. pistachio's (about 1lb)
6 Tbs. Franks red Hot sauce
2 Tbs. Worcestershire
2 Tbs. juice from pickled jalapeno's
1 tsp garlic salt
2 Tbs melted butter.

Combine butter, garlic salt, Frank's, worcestershire, and jalapeno juice. Stir in the pistachios until well coated. Smoke at 225 degrees for 2-3 hours. The pistachios will feel kind of soft when you take them out of the smoker, but will crisp up quite well when they cool. Just make sure you have good air flow through your smoker. Mesquite works the best for me. The original recipe calls for green Tabasco sauce, but I think the Frank's has a little more bite and flavor.

P.S
They're flammable as all hell. Wind switched and my smoke box got hot, when I opened the smoker the flames took the hair off my arm.

DarkWhiskey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Bismarck has a pride of Dakota store that sells it. You can also visit their website at http://owensbbq.com/

Thanks for the info FishReaper . I pulled the trigger and ordered tatonka dust, other jerky seasonings and some sausage mix last night. New to the smoking thing and always looking for solid ideas to experiment with.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything I've tried from them has been really good. Smokers are very addictive. I try to smoke at least 1 meal a week. I always make sure to have a good supply of charcoal and a few different woods at my house. ( trying to talk the wife into letting take out the apple tree just for smoker wood) I also have a Smoker log from Owens that i can put pellets in and use on my gas grill if I dont feel like firing up the old wood burner.
smoke some thick cut bone in pork chops before you grill them. that is always a winner.
Same can be done with chicken.
Warning be careful with Mesquite. it can get overpowering in a hurry if you are not careful

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been buying the whole pork loins at Sams and cutting them in 3rds. Usually I'll cover them with Tatonka dust, then make a slit in the center and stuff it with cream cheese, Jalapeños and bacon. Smoke it for about 3hrs at 280. It's a great meal and even better for sandwiches the next day!

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to try a "fattie" , they don't suck!!

Bacon weaved breakfast fattie;

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

A pizza fatty;

Out of the smoker
IMG_1749.jpg

Wrapped a pizza crust around it and into the oven
IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

Shrimp and twice baked potatoes are great on the smoker;

IMG_2447.jpg

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mossy (or anyone for that matter),

What about a venison roast? I can't recall seeing a recipe posted. Also, my recollection skills don't mean a damn and are not in question.

Also, damn you Frosty. Holy shiite.

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cold smoked a few kinds of cheese a few months ago. Used Owensbbq smoke tube for an hour and a half. It took about 3 weeks for the smoke to mellow. Turned out great.

Keep in mind you do need much smoke to impart the flavor.... And like Woodpecker said, let it mellow. I don't let it go much past 30 minutes on smoker.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Juanner has it correct in my estimation. I couldn't swallow the stuff. I remember being so excited. Then no.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mossy (or anyone for that matter),

What about a venison roast? I can't recall seeing a recipe posted. Also, my recollection skills don't mean a damn and are not in question.

Also, damn you Frosty. Holy shiite.

I cook venison roast just like a tri tip. It's awesome!!

Here is a tri tip I got pictures of. Got some pics of a venison roast done the same way but can't fin them, you get the point.

Season with Tatonka, salt, pepper, whatever else you like. Throw on smoker indirect heat 225*.

20140517_200039.jpg

When it hits 100ish, pull it off, set grill/smoker up for high heat sear, sear until 125*, pull and let rest 10-15 minutes.

20140517_201634.jpg

20140517_205548.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89