Snorkel Gear

Sotaman

Established Member
Just booked a trip to Hawaii. Looking at buying Snorkel gear to bring along as rentals in different locations are around 40 a day. Plan on using if a couple different times so I am thinking I be paying the same so I may as well own something. What do you recommend a person look at Mask snorkel and fins?

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mask and snorkel. Fins are great but they take up so much space. And the areas that you're gonna snorkel are pretty shallow so you won't really need the fins in my opinion. I would recommend aqua socks or diving boots though. The corals at Hanauma Bay are sharp.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At the cost it makes sense to buy instead of rent. The problem is listed above in the pain of bringing them along. Don't know of anyone who goes to Hawaii to save money. At the end of the trip an extra $100 or so isn't going to make much difference. Make your trip fun and eliminate any extra you bring along just to save a few dollars is my opinion.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OMG - fins are mandatory.

You can’t buy decent fitting gear unless you try it on. It’s worth visiting a shop in HI where you can assure yourself a proper fit - so your feet don’t ache 15 minutes into it, your mask doesn’t leak, and your snorkel doesn’t chafe like a horse’s bit.

Snorkeling with garbage fit totally blows IMO.

I’m a Mares fan. And get some socks for under your fins. That way sand etc. doesn’t ruin your day.

- - - Updated - - -

ChasnTail must have monster feet!

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Have you checked weekly rental rates? They are usually much more reasonable per day than onsie-twosie day rates.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mask and snorkel. Fins are great but they take up so much space. And the areas that you're gonna snorkel are pretty shallow so you won't really need the fins in my opinion. I would recommend aqua socks or diving boots though. The corals at Hanauma Bay are sharp.

If the beach consists of sharp coral, buy booties with soles. This will influence the fins that you use. With soles you need a larger fin size. Nobody I dived with use full-foot fins, only fins with an adjustable back strap. My fins are IDI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get off the resorts and rent from an independent shop like Snorkel Bobs, you can rent everything for $40 a week. And yes you want fins if you want to do any kind of decent snorkeling, they are way more efficient and relaxing, and can save your life if you get in some current which HI has plenty of.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what my wife and I have. They seal up real nice. And fins are a must.
71FytTVlZlL._SL1500_.jpg

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take snorkel gear with everytime I go somewhere with an ocean.

I purchased a full face mask last year, it's different, I like it, but read the reviews on them some are junk, looks like the one below, this isn't the one I purchased
46aa44da-761f-49e1-aec0-c9cb823011a3_1.c54b23811d3125dab3cf17c1b946947a.jpeg

Sotaman

Established Member
Thanks for the info so far we are just starting to plan. And I always feel its best to ask the questions ahead of time

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful with those full face masks, cheaply made ones that don’t seal properly can cause build up and rebreathing of your carbon dioxide. It’s pretty easy to see how that could happen by looking at them. There have been an uptick in snorkeling deaths with people using these masks, Not worth the risk to me.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's been many years but I second Snorkel Bobs in HI. After that trip we bought our own gear from a dive shop and packed it along. Well worth the price. You can get a long sleeve lycra dive shirt cheap that will save a blistering sunburn also.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a set, but when I travel I usually just buy a set of U.S. divers snorkel, mask, and fins set for around 40$ at the destinations local Walmart, and then give it away when I leave.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with Guy. If you wan tot own, get to a local dive shop and get fitted. All masks fit different and there are numerous styles and shapes to fit all faces. Buy a good mask and set of fins and they will last for many years.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
P2090007.jpg

night diving is super fun
a couple rums and off you go into the inky darkness :;:rockit

- - - Updated - - -

OK... at least four rums

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month