Spring Snows

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've been trying to keep up with this thread. but, you guys are posting so much BS so quickly that it is impossible to keep up. and i spend a lot of time on this site. good on ya!

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dark geese have been flowing thru here in central S.D. For the last couple weeks . Saw the first snows just now , 300 or so . Heck before you know it Sakangler will get a chance at one !

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to the monster truck ralley with my boys in minot today. Piles of darks along the river and big lake . Little. It quiter as you got north. 3 snows with a bunch of lessers by underwood. Get em!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you're into bird watching or have little ones that like to look at geese, the lessers were piling into McKenzie slough area tonight. every cornfield out there had a few thousand birds in it. pretty cool to watch those little buggers. 4 snows were mixed in with one flock. constant strings of darks over the house all day

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah it was pretty much nonstop canadas heading up river this morning but no white as of yet. Not sure how far they got today but apparently there was a monster push yesterday afternoon in southern sd. Lots of birds to the west of there normal line so would have to think places like Linton may see a good push here soon. With the look of the forecast they will be screaming north probably well into canada especially SK by next week. The DL birds may take a touch longer if they do get sheet water but not much. Glad the fishing good.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hundreds of thousands in Mobridge today. Non stop white strings as far as a guy can see heading north from noon till dark

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds like some birds made it across around the jimmy, but the migration stalled out this afternoon. imagine all the back and forth flying they've been doing they need to re-fuel in the Aberdeen area

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well just saw two sandhill cranes before seeing my first snows of the spring. That is definitely a first!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dark push is the heaviest I have witnessed so far NE of bis. No snows yet but they gotta be close. This push makes a guy wanna go but this wind or lack of tells me to go fish in deans hotspots......

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can have them this morning I saw 25 on the gauge and said screw it i will let it warm up first. yesterday was a pain in the butt with the ice build up on the rods and numb finggers. Cut over to Mackenzie after passing the cranes south of Menoken and saw a couple dozen snows scattered out on the pools with the canadas. Would have to think the birds goose slayer saw should make an appearance up as far as 94 by this evening. Hell who knows wouldn't be shocked if they show up well north of there.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got snows in Valley City. Saw two separate bunches of about 100-200. Lots of Canada's on the move as well. Every time I see a flock of specks roll over, I just want to grab the gun. Have never even SEEN one while in the blind, but come spring their all over the place. :mad:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got snows in Valley City. Saw two separate bunches of about 100-200. Lots of Canada's on the move as well. Every time I see a flock of specks roll over, I just want to grab the gun. Have never even SEEN one while in the blind, but come spring their all over the place. :mad:
Specks are weird. I can never consistently figure them out either. But then I see guys shoot flocks of them in Canada and I'm just sitting down here in ND wondering where they go.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cleaning the garage and snows are going every direction I think they must of gotten into so fermented barely

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Specks are weird. I can never consistently figure them out either. But then I see guys shoot flocks of them in Canada and I'm just sitting down here in ND wondering where they go.
The specks mass stage on the south Saskatchewan River near Cabri. When they leave there they split up with a big chunk heading for California and the other chunk heading for Texas Louisiana and Arkansas. They tend to do a big jump from the river with many heading for Quivira NWR and Cheyenne bottoms NWR in western KS in one shot. Because they go so far so fast they tend to over fly ND unless like three years ago they get pushed out of Canada early. Weather they over fly ND or not the corridor they use in fall is almost exclusively down the river up here. We always have a few around just east of the river in fall but some years there are dramatically more then others.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fair few snows moving this morning out east of town nothing massive but it's a start. Few thousand mixed in with the honkers at Mackenzie slough. If I had had a gun with i could have popped a few from the road as they flew over my truck as I was out taking a piss.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snows a plenty flying around VC yesterday. They sure can create a ruckus with their calls. Going all which a way so I can't say they are migrating north or south. I'd have to agree with Kurtr and have them cited for flying under the influence. (Grin)

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
the drive up I did see 2 flocks (15-20 snows) mixed with darks as well as 3 flocks of all snows prolly 200 birds total. these were all between wilton and underwood. thousands upon thousands of darks. shes a starting. will post up on the commute home as well.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably around 30,000 this morning out my Mackenzie and ungodly numbers of Canada's I can't believe they're still coming through this heavy! There also was 40 to 50 weird looking blue geese that I was hoping saksucker could ID for me. some of them were even up in the trees. I was able to bag a couple of them by using another dead goose as bait/decoy.

IMG_20160308_095822.jpg

One of the flocks near the marsh.

Screenshot_2016-03-08-10-00-25.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54