Ford F250 - 7.3 vs. 6.7

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So unless new truck prices go crazy next spring, have decided to move up from my F150 to the F250. Obviously the big question is do I stay with gas (7.3L) or go diesel (6.7)? Last year we bought a 28ft bumper pull camper (7,500 pds), the 5.0 F150 pulled it fine with the WDH and stabilizer bars...although they suck putting on and taking off! But our long term plans include trading up to a 5th wheel, so a 3/4 ton truck is a must. My truck is my daily driver as well (30 miles per day), so I've got to take that into account as well when making a decision on the gas/diesel engine. I have read/studied all the performance specs on both motors, obviously whichever truck I get will be my "forever" truck. I respect and value all the experience on NDA and will appreciate any and all insight remarks on this thread...thanks gents!

FinFighter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I switched from an F250 Diesel to the newer 7.3 gas (2022 crew cab XLT). My camper is a 5th wheel and weighs about 12000 loaded. I haven't missed the diesel a bit. I like that I don't have the maintenance cost over my head, and don't have to worry about temps during the winter since it's an "outside" truck. The price at the pump is a little better with gas as well. One convenience you will not have are the stand-alone diesel islands at the fuel stations. You have to plan accordingly when you fill, as some of the small gas stations won't work with a camper hooked on. I sometimes have the boat hooked with the camper, and then it's impossible.

It is not my daily driver; I got a little work car for that. That may be your biggest factor as to what you decide to purchase. The 7.3 will not save you any miles running without a load. I only get around 13 mpg running around town. Pulling, I get about 9 mpg. I didn't get the 7.3 to appease the tree huggers, I bought it to tow.

You won't know that 7500-pound camper is back there with either one. You have a tough choice. My biggest reason for the change is that I didn't drive my last truck other than pulling, or a few hunting/fishing trips. Letting a diesel sit isn't the thing to do. You won't have this issue as it will get driven regularly.

Just a few thoughts, let us know which way you go.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I had a 2017 f-250 diesel and test drove a 2021 f-250 with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears and I would buy the 7.3. I really liked my diesel but that 7.3 had plenty of power and the fuel mpg on the screen showed within 1 mpg to my diesel.

I really like diesels but unless the truck is making you money or you are towing daily, diesels are overpriced toys (no judgements-you should drive what you want). Just know they are more expensive in every aspect of ownership and with the high pressure fuel systems you have to worry about fuel quality.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for your observations!^^ The additional initial cost for the diesel isn't really a concern to me assuming I will keep this truck for a looooooong time, but as you mentioned, the fact that I will drive the truck daily has me leaning toward the diesel...just for the mpg diff. The price of diesel fuel has fluctuated so much over the last couple years - just have to accept that risk if I go diesel.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought a new ford with the 7.3. Gotta say I’m impressed. Gas mileage is better than I thought it would be and really like the 10 speed tranny. Doesn’t address your diesel ? But I am impressed with the gasser.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go diesel, take it easy on your motor (turbo) until it's warmed up.

Take your time getting up to speed if the motor and transmission are cool/cold.

Don't idle it a bunch. Buy fuel from busy stations that go through lots and keep it reasonably fresh.

Swap your fuel filters frequently. I try to time it so that I'm putting in fresh filters sometime between Nov-Jan. I don't really know if it's true, but, it seems to me like fresh filters might give a person a little better margin of error regarding gelling if you happen to get caught w/the wrong fuel in a cold-snap, thus my timing.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
honestly if you aren't pulling a diesel every day for work, they just cost more money to buy, maintain, and daily in fuel cost. Ive had 2 diesels and the only one that got way better mpg than a gas was a 95 dodge 12 valve. the new ones with def and regen are junk in my opinion.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I echo what @SDMF says.... I love my Cummins, it'll pull anything just like your potential PowerStroke would. 30 miles of highway is not a concern and is actually helpful to keep your emissions components clean. Don't drive it as a city grocery getter, stick to the maintenance schedule, don't buy filters from amazon because they are ChinaFakeCrap, and she'll treat you very well.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
diesel all the way you are going to get 3-5 mpg better unloaded and probably 2 loaded how you are now with the diesel over the gas. If it is truly a forever truck the 6.7 is pretty proven rig with their new injectors and transmission. Ford has a decent truck put together in their new diesels, and the fact that you are already looking to go to a 5th wheel which means inevitably you will go to a bigger 5th wheel means get the diesel. We have the 7.3 in some work trucks and it is a snorty beast but gas doesn't hold a candle to diesels when it comes to towing. I run cenex roadmaster and wintermaster in my truck year round no gelling issues ever.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I would recommend the diesel for you. They are not necessarily designed as daily commuters (you say 30 miles/day, so I assume one-way is 15 miles). Fifteen miles is not enough for my 6.4 to go through a regen cycle. I live only 6-7 miles from work and there have been a fair number of times when I've used my truck that I've had to "drive around the block" due to it needing to complete a regen cycle or risk going into limp mode. I think the newer Fords have a regen on demand button, I really wish my truck had it. It regens about every 350 miles on average. Anyone care to share the details on the regen cycle for the newer F250s?

As far as the cost of ownership? Yes, the initial purchase is $11k more, but with 165k on my truck, it's not been an expensive vehicle to maintain. A few radiator hoses under warranty, an exhaust gas backpressure sensor, and an exhaust manifold are the only repairs I've had to do so far. Oil and fuel filter changes are 2-2.5 times the cost of a gasser, but still not enough for me to complain about given how much I love the truck.

Last edited:

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Price of fuel was enough to make me get rid of mine (duramax).
$5.50 for #1 last yr for ice fishing was the last straw and mileage is horrible in cold weather. Took forever to throw heat also.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gasser gets my vote here if you’re using it year round for daily duties. Not sure if you have heated garage or what but I’d hate to have to light up a diesel in Jan to run to Walmart for milk

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The company I work for has the 7.3 in a lot of our newer delivery trucks. I know of several that have had to be replaced at around 2,000 miles. Even talked to a guy at the Ford fleet shop and he wasn't surprised. Had issues with the GM 6.2's as well so maybe we just get lemons. Either way made me happy to stay with my 6.7.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back on the maintenance topic. I just had my 09 F250 into the Ford shop for an oil change, replacement of fuel filters, tire rotation, and a back-up light bulb replacement.

Total came to $461.30, yes...I was a little surprised by that number. My memory had me expecting something in the $350 range.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back on the maintenance topic. I just had my 09 F250 into the Ford shop for an oil change, replacement of fuel filters, tire rotation, and a back-up light bulb replacement.

Total came to $461.30, yes...I was a little surprised by that number. My memory had me expecting something in the $350 range.
I know my last oil/filter/tire rotation on my '11 6.7L was over $400 as well.

Pretty sure my next pickup will be gas. With how little I tow now since the boat sits @ the camper all summer, I may go back to a 1/2Tn as well. When I towed "something" 6-8K + Mi/yr I thought the diesel 3/4Tn was justified for durability and longevity. I'm @ 223K now w/no plans to replace soon, but, my towing has been reduced to no more than maybe 1500mi/yr and nothing really heavy at all.

My buddy's '23 F150 w/3.5L twin-turbo gets 3-5MPG better than my F250 @ the same speed and gas is quite a bit less $$ than diesel at present.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know my last oil/filter/tire rotation on my '11 6.7L was over $400 as well.

Pretty sure my next pickup will be gas. With how little I tow now since the boat sits @ the camper all summer, I may go back to a 1/2Tn as well. When I towed "something" 6-8K + Mi/yr I thought the diesel 3/4Tn was justified for durability and longevity. I'm @ 223K now w/no plans to replace soon, but, my towing has been reduced to no more than maybe 1500mi/yr and nothing really heavy at all.

My buddy's '23 F150 w/3.5L twin-turbo gets 3-5MPG better than my F250 @ the same speed and gas is quite a bit less $$ than diesel at present.
Pretty much the exact same boat as you.
I keep my 2012 F250 to get the 5th wheel to the lake in the spring, and to get it back from the lake in the fall, maybe one other trip in the late fall. Probably 500 miles a year I am down to putting on it now, but the only way I can get this done is with a 3/4 ton pickup. So it is garaged 355 days out of the year.

Seems a pity to keep it, but cant replace it either. I am up to 49,000 miles on it at this point it will have 50,000 miles on it in 2 years...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84