Start carrying again

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biden Approved: Let's Go Brandon In The Leg:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old Savage 311 that I used back in the early 1970s didn't shuck that easily. A friend with a new Rem 870 always gave me a bad time about only two shots. I noticed when we were after grouse he wanted to get all three shots off so badly that he rushed his first two shots, or the birds were out of range for his last shot. Still when I bought my first shotgun it was an 870. Back in 1972 the 870 didn't have screw in chokes so since then the barrel on that old 870 went from 28 to 23 inches with chokes. Now it has a tube extention and carries six rounds of dead coyote, and I shoot an OU. Wish I had an old side by side.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In regards to many guns and ammo a couple friends and myself were on the way back from a p-dog shoot by Miles city Montana. It was around 1976 at the time and I had a 1975 Impala ss with a 400 and that old boat would cruse. We were east of Medora and I was about 20 over speed limit when we got the flashing lights. When we left town I changed into a pair of shorts and tennis shoes and forgot my wallet in my hunting pants in the trunk where there was an odd assortment of 20 plus rifles and hand guns and about 2000 rounds of spent 22-250 rounds and other stuff. I told the LEO what was going on and gave him my trunk key and stepped back out of the way. He popped the trunk and said man you weren't shitting me. Gave me my wallet and I gave him my DL. Let me off with a warning and asked me if we had fun. The cowboy boots full of empty's were a dead giveaway. Drove speed limit the rest of the way home. LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good old dependable 870's still rockin these days.

My old 10ga sxs sits quietly in his retirement slot in my den gun cabinet, to many great memories to shit can it. Double trigger,32" double full chokes put plenty of meat on the table.

PS LB,i remember traveling across Montana early 70's,hwy 2,no speed limits...just hammer down.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

My old 10ga sxs sits quietly in his retirement slot in my den gun cabinet, to many great memories to shit can it. Double trigger,32" double full chokes put plenty of meat on the table.

PS LB,i remember traveling across Montana early 70's,hwy 2,no speed limits...just hammer down.
Yep me too. Only thing that made you slow down were those Dam Antelope. LB

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

What's the chamber length of the 10ga? Is it rated for smokeless?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the chamber length of the 10ga? Is it rated for smokeless?
3.5 chamber,smokeless?

Got me on that one.

My old sky buster hasn't seen action since the mid 80's when lead shot was nixed.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just wondering if it were old enough to be black powder also older 10ga guns had a shorter chambering.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just wondering if it were old enough to be black powder also older 10ga guns had a shorter chambering.
Gotcha...these old sxs need a slower softer shot charge,the narrow contriction from rec'er to muzzel can't or shouldn't run high velocity steel loads,possible barrel bulging or worse...

Hevi shot has a load just for these old sxs,the softer gauge barrel steel used to weld barrels together need a special load...hevi shot classic works, bismuth 1000fps .patterns well when i ran a few loads outof curiosity.

Further as far as shell chamber goes,yeah i shot ducks with my sxs 10ga using winchester 2.75" cartridges back in the lead days,and a few pheasants...,"Peter's" was a big ammunition name back in thr 60's and 70's big in 10ga ammunition.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was new at Minot I could've bought a PRISTINE Berretta SXS dbl trigger (obviously not steel worthy) for 600 bucks at a gun show. The guy who brought me was within a c-hair of talking me into buying it. My awe and appreciation was humorous to the plebian miscreant. I could've left it alone or chosen a couple cool options: I'm telling you man; it was pristine IMO.

I wonder how many of these have been blown up?:

1690171608713.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95