Suppressor Questions

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
When is my 3.0 going to get here?
Lots of great information on silencers here! Just a reminder, the Varminter 3.0 comes apart to clean, which is nice! If you have any silencer related questions, just let me know. Brandon Maddox from Dakota Silencer

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're all about the same but be careful, some manufacturers won't cover a baffle strike when an adapter was used, like they'd know but.....

What is at fault if a baffle strike occurs? Rifle barrel threads or adapter threads not in line? I ask his question initially because I have a rock river upper with a break on it. Add an adapter for the difference in threads and I would be in business to try it out before sending other rifles to be threaded. Just trying to figure out if I can trust the Rock river threads and or the adapter threads to line up everything straight.

Also, I purchased the varminter 3.0 (5/8x 24). Can a person thread every barrel to those threads or does sporter vs varmint contour barrel have an affect? Does both barrel cal and muzzle contour come into play? I'm really new to this and don't know one person who has entered this world. Thanks

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, I purchased the varminter 3.0 (5/8x 24). Can a person thread every barrel to those threads or does sporter vs varmint contour barrel have an affect? Does both barrel cal and muzzle contour come into play? I'm really new to this and don't know one person who has entered this world. Thanks

Yeah contour comes into play. After threading you want enough barrel there to create a shoulder for the suppressor to square up to. I was told by a reputable suppressor manufacturer you want at least a tenth inch shoulder from thread root to OD. So for 5/8" thread, you want at least a .7-.72" muzzle diameter......Pretty sure I have one rifle with less of a shoulder and there has been no issues but I'd have to measure it to be sure.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is at fault if a baffle strike occurs? Rifle barrel threads or adapter threads not in line? I ask his question initially because I have a rock river upper with a break on it. Add an adapter for the difference in threads and I would be in business to try it out before sending other rifles to be threaded. Just trying to figure out if I can trust the Rock river threads and or the adapter threads to line up everything straight.

If it threads together you're good, it's when they get loose after you've been banging away, more points of failure when you have adapters and it's cheap insurance for the manufacturer.

That thread pitch is all relative, you want a bit bigger threads with bigger barrels and calibers so I've been told by some different manufacturers and the military to handle heat and vibrations better. Could be snake oil, I just go with what works for me and haven't had any issues yet. It's an argument to be had, my 9mm can is 1/2x28, everything in .224 is as well to include rimfire cans, the .30's and 6.5 cans are all 5/8x24 and all of my barrels match except a little Kimber 84M Adirondack chambered in 6.5, that thing has a pencil barrel that is threaded 7/16x28 that uses a 5/8x24 adapter and it shoots sub moa so that theory is shot in the ass as well. Baffle strikes do suck and I don't want to see it again.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
For someone who might know, will a 30 cal suppressor affect accuracy positively or negatively, on a 16" barrel for an AR shooing 223/5.56?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
For someone who might know, will a 30 cal suppressor affect accuracy positively or negatively, on a 16" barrel for an AR shooing 223/5.56?

That's what I ran on my 16" 556 for a year or two until I got a dedicated 556 suppressor. It will change point of impact, but grouping should be the same or possibly better. I've never seen a gun shoot worse with one on.

- - - Updated - - -

If it threads together you're good, it's when they get loose after you've been banging away...

One time I couldn't even hit the paper at 100 yards with a gun that was zeroed. Turned out my suppressor was about a 1/4 turn loose. Cinched it down it was good again. Just glad I didn't shoot it more before I noticed.

If you're really worried about threads being straight / baffle strikes, just crank it down good, take the upper off and look straight down the bore. It should be obvious if you have a clearance problem. I guess it's theoretically possible to have a bullet that is so unstable that it could hit, but that is pretty unlikely. Just don't go shooting 90 grain 223 out of a 1/14 twist.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5