Tailrace trout

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I'm posting this. Don't cast out too far or you'll be snagged. Cast upstream at about 2 O'clock then let the rig settle in front of you. Strip a bit of line from the drag if necessary so you have a slight "belly" pointing towards you.

Tailrace Carolina Rig:

"No Roll" sinker: Point towards rod: Bead: BBL swivel to leader (I go with 14in).

Hook the crawler through the front of the throat then spin the point toward it's rear and go back though.

Inject enough air into the crawler's head though it's mouth until it almost bursts.

Inject another good bubble about a 1/2in behind the collar. This will allow the tail to flutter. You don't want the worm to float at depth like a "Y". (This is MORE pertinent in still water)

Good luck and reports are appreciated!

1715219741212.png

1715219858434.png

1715219924772.png

1715220017811.png
This smells like a deadly setup, whether on the 'race for trout or really any river for walleye. Thanks for the reminder!

77Talladega

That's the 'race. She's a fickle bitch. I'd also suggest a wire leader as one November I saw a pike bust through a school of freshly stocked fingerlings with a head at least 8in wide. A black leader doesn't make a shit IMO. My PB 8lb rainbow had no problem hitting the wired 8in jointed Rap. I wasn't considering trout at all.
Fickle is a good descriptor. That’s awesome to hear, I might have to forget the flourocarbon at that rate. Were you the guy with the plan to petition for a trout stream by the Tailrace in a older post? I would be all for that, probably could rally enough support among the fly/trout/fishermen in general to make it a possibility. Went to the orvis fly fishing film festival in Bismarck this year, was surprised with the amount of guys that showed up…they seem like the type of dudes that would be about supporting creating a trout stream with actual spawning abilities, of course with approval/running by Game & Fish.

Last edited:

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started scratching the fly fishing itch a few years ago by building a 9wt to take to Canada for pike. Had a blast catching pike and walleye on the fly rod. So far best pike 45” and best walleye 26”. I am going to the Misouri river headwaters this fall. Hoping for a decent brown. I find it a very interesting pursuit and a change of pace.

Nmariner

Established Member
Fickle is a good descriptor. That’s awesome to hear, I might have to forget the flourocarbon at that rate. Were you the guy with the plan to petition for a trout stream by the Tailrace in a older post? I would be all for that, probably could rally enough support among the fly/trout/fishermen in general to make it a possibility. Went to the orvis fly fishing film festival in Bismarck this year, was surprised with the amount of guys that showed up…they seem like the type of dudes that would be about supporting creating a trout stream with actual spawning abilities, of course with approval/running by Game & Fish.
This would be really cool. Not a fly fisherman myself but I would give it a try if there was something like this.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started scratching the fly fishing itch a few years ago by building a 9wt to take to Canada for pike. Had a blast catching pike and walleye on the fly rod. So far best pike 45” and best walleye 26”. I am going to the Misouri river headwaters this fall. Hoping for a decent brown. I find it a very interesting pursuit and a change of pace.
You talking the proper headwaters in Three Forks, or just the upper Mo? If it's the former, I wouldn't wait until fall. Looking to be a very low water year. The Jefferson and lower Madison will likely be under Hoot Owl restrictions, if not a full blown closure for fishing

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You talking the proper headwaters in Three Forks, or just the upper Mo? If it's the former, I wouldn't wait until fall. Looking to be a very low water year. The Jefferson and lower Madison will likely be under Hoot Owl restrictions, if not a full blown closure for fishing
Below Hauser lake

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that Land of the giants? I've fished the stretched below Holter the last few years, big hard fighting bows and browns until your wrist is tired.
Yes that general area. Holster, Hauser, Gate of the Mountains. Never been so excited to give it a go.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This smells like a deadly setup, whether on the 'race for trout or really any river for walleye. Thanks for the reminder!
I've only caught a couple trout with this. It's for walleye and channel cat mostly. The 'race is like the ocean and a worm is a universal bait...even saltwater. Again many thanks to the fellow whom put me on the right track to catch a FISH in the Tailrace back on FBO.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn right that was me!! I'd love to see the Hatchery Creek converted to the proper flow to facilitate natural reproduction!! No fishing allowed: A few bridges for viewing and educational signs along a path. Rainbow/walleye in Spring; Kings and browns in Fall.

77Talladega

Damn right that was me!! I'd love to see the Hatchery Creek converted to the proper flow to facilitate natural reproduction!! No fishing allowed: A few bridges for viewing and educational signs along a path. Rainbow/walleye in Spring; Kings and browns in Fall.
Heck yeah, wouldn’t mind if Army Corps/Game & Fish lengthened the hatchery creek to where it goes back into the Missouri after some distance or routed water through a 4 feet diameter concrete culvert/pipe (couple hundred feet long) from a little down the tailrace up the banks (natural water flow/pressure should enable this/ could easily close it when necessary with culvert only being 4 feet in diameter) for a 1-3 mile stream, then back into the Missouri. I was told by Game & Fish guy that the water is too cold for the trout to reproduce in the tailrace; he said temp was 41 degrees last August- if plan was approved; might have to have some sort of retention pond/ series of pools for the water to heat up a little before the stream. He also told me he saw some trout trying to spawn by Stanton boat launch on the rocks by shore and that all trout they stock have ability to reproduce. Anyhow, you’d think at some point during all the years they stocked em in the tailrace; some would have successfully reproduced in the rocky shallows along the bank. I researched Ft. Peck tailwater/trout and apparently the browns/rainbows are able to reproduce there. Hey, I’m all for ideas to pitch haha.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the olden times, loggers would shut down logging operations after noon or so in the hottest, driest parts of the year, to prevent starting fires. The idea is you need to be in the woods with the hoot owls at the crack of dawn while there is still dew on the ground and starting a fire is less likely. For fishing it means no fishing from 1pm to midnight

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back to the Carolina Rig: I've often thought of clipping an Original Rap on the end during heavy current. "Passive/aggressive" lure fishing...This color is hot for trout and walleye:

1715390945013.png

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck yeah, wouldn’t mind if Army Corps/Game & Fish lengthened the hatchery creek to where it goes back into the Missouri after some distance or routed water through a 4 feet diameter concrete culvert/pipe (couple hundred feet long) from a little down the tailrace up the banks (natural water flow/pressure should enable this/ could easily close it when necessary with culvert only being 4 feet in diameter) for a 1-3 mile stream, then back into the Missouri. I was told by Game & Fish guy that the water is too cold for the trout to reproduce in the tailrace; he said temp was 41 degrees last August- if plan was approved; might have to have some sort of retention pond/ series of pools for the water to heat up a little before the stream. He also told me he saw some trout trying to spawn by Stanton boat launch on the rocks by shore and that all trout they stock have ability to reproduce. Anyhow, you’d think at some point during all the years they stocked em in the tailrace; some would have successfully reproduced in the rocky shallows along the bank. I researched Ft. Peck tailwater/trout and apparently the browns/rainbows are able to reproduce there. Hey, I’m all for ideas to pitch haha.
I think they'd also have to have rip/rap/concrete reinforcements and artificial redds which could easily be replenished with pea gravel when necessary. Hell, the hatchery could stock the 'race from a holding pond! In my feeble mind/fantasy this could be achieved by more boring through the dam and a series of gate valves.

I am by no means saying this is as simple as stocking a new bass pond down South. I just think the concept is cool.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57